Autopsy Round 23, 2023 : Hawks fall to the Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

We had an overall happy outing for a young side agaist a finals contender without Lewis and Newcombe. Add few more tall marking forwards and we will be super competitive. I think we have fixed our center and to large extent back six. Now let's fix the forward half and add another elite winger.
Amon had a bad day but was not the reason for the loss (I think more the blind bombing to Lever and May in the second half - MAINLY)- when he is good we know how good he is. Sicily had a bad kicking day and so did Impey.
However the young guns are promising and Husthwaite had a great debut. Things are looking promising for Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Newc before the game, missing our key forward you’d have thought we would be smashed.
Giving guys like Hustwaite an opportunity (also Ramsden, Serong & Long) augers well for 2024
HH - what a debut ! Great first quarter & kicking your first AFL goal (followed up with a second courtesy of a nice mark over Petracca)
Not only that - he spent time in the centre bounce 😳 - against a top 4 team with a midfield of Oliver, Viney & the like) Never looked out of place
Could he be rising star this week ? Could be, should be but probably won’t be !
Don’t really care about that. Why I care about, is he will go into the Preseason ’chocfull’ of confidence and don’t be surprised if he raises the bar again.

Thought Ned was superb - really starting to understand the full expectations of an AFL ruckman and no doubt is a key contributor to our recent success.

Worps, Day, Hardwick just always give you 100% - weapons

Nash - good player , just needs to find that composure to take his game to the Ned’s level

DGB - in the absence of Lewis , I thought he competed really well & never gave up. He’s going to have a big preseason no doubt in my mind

Kosi - what a game ….will leave it to wahawk to eloquently tell how he makes us a better side
(if he can stop shaking his head that is)

Can’t wait for 2024….gunna be a great ride.

Go Hawks

Missed Lewis’ presence and also Wingard’s creativity in the high HF role. So much to like in the first half, ran out of gas in the second but didn’t get steamrolled. All in all can’t ask for much more than that against a premiership favourite. Hustwaite was great!!

Has he though?

He's played quite a few games and IMO he has shown that he is up to the pace of the AFL and he also has been clean with the ball. Just my opinion but I reckon you can usually tell early if a youngster is going to make it and I reckon he has shown enough to say he will. Expect he will have a big preseason and will be bigger and stronger next year. Every chance that he could be one of our prime movers in a couple of years.

Was happy with the endeavour the boys showed and they didn't throw it in at anytime, Hustwaite was great on debut, loved DGB's efforts, Weddle did some nice things, Reeves marking and tap work was encouraging, overall wish we had won but I suppose I will have to waite until next week when we torch the Dockers

Realistically it was probably a good thing for the coaches to see us play with no Nuke and Lewis.

-Worpel has come so far this year. leading clearance player on the field.
- Nash stood up.
-Finn played his role to a tee.
-Day is a primemover 95 D.E%
- Reeves progressing nicely.
-Serong snippet looks a player. Composed, Tough and wants the footy i loved that.

Good effort from the boys, can’t fault the method or intensity.
It was really May and Lever that won it for them, their experience and hard bodies were too much for us.
DGB was pretty good but still lacks the body to go against the key defenders, perhaps the third tall ala Gunston is his go (either forward or back). Kozi battled hard but not much went right for him.
Our midfield is nearly rolled gold already, but we desperately need another key position player.

Yea, not too upset or worried about that game . Reality is they are going for a premiership and we're just looking to improve a young side that believe it or not, at Rd 23 , looks to be getting even younger!! Now, on to next week, let's play like it's a GF and finish the season on a high.
Btw, we're so much weaker without Lewis . Big Frwd is needed asap.

Pretty good. Today's effort gets a pass from me. With Nuke being dismantled late, No Lewis, and Sicily having a poor day we ran with a premiership contender for most of the day. If we carry on next week with a solid performance I'll be moore than happy with the progress made later this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23, 2023 : Hawks fall to the Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back