Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

It's as not as simple as that - we just aren't slow starters, we have a plan to be at our best when the time comes to win the game, as the opposition does too - like a horse race, some might go out and lead from the front and destroy their rivals such as Might and Power did in the 1997 Caulfield Cup by 10 lengths only to beat Doriemus by a bob in the Melbourne Cup that year. Grrrwww.

It's somewhat a game of chess on the ground and the box as everyone works out their plans, and it's better to be in front, but it usually comes down to being less blindsided in the coaching box. You get them back though.
Yeah I’m certain it’s the game plan to be giving huge starts like Chautauqua if we’re going to continue with racing analogies

Inconsistency, again, the killer.
The fact we used intensity to get back in that was a good sign and was fun to watch. Seemed like we lost the few moments that really flipped the momentum back in their favour. Pretty annoying we’ve come up against two sides already (Geelong, Essendon) that have been super clutch in front of goal, basically capitalising on every opportunity.

Worps, Nash, Wiz, Chol, Mackenzie all great. Our mosquito fleet looking good going forward.
Desperately need Day, Chad and CJ coming back in.
Think we will look much more threatening with all 3 in the side. Including Chad at his best. Multiple scoring options hopefully by later in the year.

I'll dispute you on this.

Back to 4 points the margin early in the third.

Then a few lucky bounces and an umpiring howler saw the deficit blow straight back to 6 goals and we couldn't recover in the pelting rain.

Better team won on the day, but we were up against it from some poor umpiring decisions and weather.

Some of our manning up and basic skill errors in the 3rd were dreadful.

Cats definitely put the foot down hard and the pressure was ramped up in the 3rd and we fell away again which was hard to watch.

Ok my take aways:

Positive:
  • Worpel easily BOG, was in everything and showed us what a leader looks like in the coalface
  • Ward is learning how to play on the outer more, whilst also impacting through the middle. Noticed him more in the contest which was great to see.
  • Chol is super aggressive and provides a lot more heat than our forward line has had from a tall for a long time.
  • Frosty resurgence is amazing. Our defense would be in tatters without him
  • The Ginnie Watto combo is elite. Hopefully we see them combine with Butler next week for something special
  • Meet had an immediate impact. 7 score involvements is a great return from a ruck
  • Nash and Frenchie are ramping up incredibly well, excited to see what happens in the coming weeks for both of them.

Negative (in our control):
  • Our use of Amon is terrible currently. He is one of our most attacking players and we just haven't found out how to utilise him in defense where he isn't a defensive liability. That being said, that time is coming and when it hits it's going to be brilliant.
  • Sic playing last back. Needs more support.
  • Getting beat out of the front of centre clearances is killing us. I don't remember seeing it happen as often as it is this season and it is killing us.
  • Breusty/Lewis being our two more senior forwards. Breust has been a superstar and doesn't get the plaudits he deserves. That being said, today was one to forget- arguably his worst game. I also am fearful that Lewis has been injured for a while and nursing it?

Negative (out of our control):
  • Umpiring. Deplorable and time and time again took our momentum away and went the wrong way. Incredibly frustrated that it's felt like 2/3 of our games this year have been lost in part due to umpire intervention. I would be ropable if I was our footy department
  • Umpiring. There has been no justification for the lack of comms regarding head high contact on our players. If I was in our footy department, I would be asking for a please explain.
  • Watson injury. If he gets up for next week I can guarantee him and Ginni will be out to get the Collywobbles.

Clearly a game we will build out of. The hunger is coming back, but it coming back three games deep is beyond frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our first quarter wasn't so bad. Thought we were on top in general play but as usual we * up a forward entry, our mids have over committed and the opposition run it down for an easy goal down the other way.
43 to 7 would suggest we were dominated in the 1st qtr. It probs wasn't so bad vs last week's 1st qtr but it was still bad.

Senior players let us down early, it’s very difficult to overrun a very experienced team in great form.

Breust looks a shadow of his former self, really disappointing if this is all he’s capable of now. No confindence, speed, or creativity at all so far this year.

Overall I thought we were the better team for 2.5 quarters, but when they had momentum we were put to the sword due to their forward line efficiency. Step forward for a lot of our younger players though, and I think we’re a huge chance in any game once we have a touch of luck.

Worps clearly the best player on the ground today. Newc looked better, Nash remembered how to hunt the footy and man. Mackenzie is going to be our best mid, he looks so good.

Can’t fault the effort, apply that every week and we’ll win plenty of games.

Wardy is a concern.
I've always appreciated your posts even when I haven't agreed with them- can you elaborate on this one?
Personally it feels like we aren't using him to his fullest, but after today it feels like he's adapting and will ultimately become a more versatile player a la Crisp/Sidebottom

Thought if you take the 1st quarter out we weren’t too far behind them- but I suppose that means nothing… Geelong got the umpiring going their way again- it’s always minimum 2-3 goals the other way…at crucial moments too…

Breust was shocking early- giving up those two goals- I think you might as well play Butler at this point- Bruest is similar to Gunston- he’s been a fantastic servant but the end is near… time to move on sadly 😢

Games like this you look for the positives-
  • Worpel was fantastic
  • Weddle did a nice job on Cameron
  • Mackenzie looked likely
  • Wizard Watson had some nice moments
  • The midfield really lifted in patches
We aren’t a finals team but we’re building - we are on the right track but it takes time- look at the guys that played today who haven’t played 50 games… imagine them at 50+ and 100+ games - that’s our future…
Weddle an underrated job TBH. Cameron kicked 2 but I didn't feel he had much impact. Just a serviceable solid game. Unlike last year when he tore us apart. He's the perfect matchup for him after what I saw today. Right size, right endurance to get around the ground with him.

I've always appreciated your posts even when I haven't agreed with them- can you elaborate on this one?
Personally it feels like we aren't using him to his fullest, but after today it feels like he's adapting and will ultimately become a more versatile player a la Crisp/Sidebottom

Crisp and Sidebottom both have weapons.

Crisp speed and burst.
Sidey has always had superb foot skills both sides .

Will Wardy become Zac Merrett is what I am hoping. A player that has massive endurance and does not ever stop. That is my hope long term.

Sadly predictable result.

Same senior players way down on form- Lewis, Newk, Sis, Impey, Bruest...
Same players performing to expectations
Worps, Chol, Frost, Massimo...

We won't win many games with this being the case. We needed our best players to take a step forward for us to move up the ladder. They have regressed.

The kids shouldn't be carrying us but they are just going and the jury is still out on most.

Ginnivan has made his own bed and I have no sympathy for him. I don't think he is a great example to some of our impressionable youth either. Show bag handballs and FW celebrations are not acceptable especially when you're 0-3.

Whately going with no free kicks for Ginnivan on 360 ( seems to have changed his tune since a recent retirement down the highway )
Robbo on our side though ......not sure his explanation of ' he didnt really hold his thingy up though and he pretty much got sort of hit in that area Gerard ' holds up in court .
Assuming 'thingy' is code for arm and 'that area' is neck .

Our first quarter wasn't so bad. Thought we were on top in general play but as usual we * up a forward entry, our mids have over committed and the opposition run it down for an easy goal down the other way.

Frustrating how hard we have to work for a score and how easy it is for the oppo to punish us.

Some really good signs though. Thought this was Frenchy's breakout game. The Wiz had his best day today as well.
Yep Frenchie had a good game

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back