Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

See, that's what I was trying to get across in the Ratts lacks the Vein thread (in vain, apparently). Parko would have reached down throats and pulled out hearts accusing players of not using them. Want to see some of that from Ratts.

Ratts is not the type of person to pop a vein on center stage. But by golly did he give it to Thornton, Betts and Walks behind doors. Remember Ratts wasn't the type to shirk an issue both on the field and off.

You don't need the anger, that stuff is yesterdays news. You're stuck in the 80s and 90s. Leigh Matthews is considered a great coach and there were some games he didn't say anything to them before the game. All that yelling and screaming from the coach is not required in professional sport any more.
Watch Malthouse when his team underperformed at crucial times last year...

Watch Malthouse when his team underperformed at crucial times last year...

He's coached wooden spoon teams as well, called opposition players rapists and lied about it to the media.

Professional sports people do not need to be yelled at to motivate them, they need to be told about game plans, strategies etc.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ii...=beyond the game plan adrian mcgregor&f=false

Read that and you might learn something different to your days playing under the Duke of Burgundy :p

Ratts is not the type of person to pop a vein on center stage. But by golly did he give it to Thornton, Betts and Walks behind doors. Remember Ratts wasn't the type to shirk an issue both on the field and off.

... and rightly so for a couple of the demonstrations I saw.

I know he's only played a couple, but Watson also put in two ordinary efforts, just throwing one arm up and squinting expecting the worst.
Not having a go at him, but I hope he was within earshot of the baste the other boys got.

Still think Armfield would have been handy in a shut down role, given his pace and aggression.
Army could have taken Jetta, but Yarran will probably go to him.

Zaharakis, Crameri and Monfries are good overhead.

Army isn't good in the air like Duigan who has a solid body like McKay, but can still run and gun.

That rules out Armfield.

Professional sports people do not need to be yelled at to motivate them, they need to be told about game plans, strategies etc.

Sounds right but a "cool" approach just does not work for everyone.
At the end of the day, a coach must have full respect and trust from his group, and if the odd player needs to be pulled back into line, well that's his job also irrespective of which approach he is best suited to adopt to do so.

Army could have taken Jetta, but Yarran will probably go to him.

Zaharakis, Crameri and Monfries are good overhead.

Army isn't good in the air like Duigan who has a solid body like McKay, but can still run and gun.

That rules out Armfield.

Reckon they could have found a back pocket for him to nestle into, personally :p

He's coached wooden spoon teams as well, called opposition players rapists and lied about it to the media.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ii...=beyond the game plan adrian mcgregor&f=false

Read that and you might learn something different to your days playing under the Duke of Burgundy :p
Yep, an interesting read. Reckon that's what Ratts gives players who shirk a contest?

Sounds right but a "cool" approach just does not work for everyone.
At the end of the day, a coach must have full respect and trust from his group, and if the odd player needs to be pulled back into line, well that's his job also irrespective of which approach he is best suited to adopt to do so.
Yes, but there are better ways for professional sports people to do it then carrying on like a neanderthal.

just my thoughts i think the back line named is to tall essendon seem to be a running side and will run all day im not sure we will be able to sustain that although would love to be proved wrong.....

i just think a joseph, army or even a lucas could have provided a bit more run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't heard anything, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Ellard come in for Hampson.

We need to stop the likes of Lonergan, Hocking and Howlett who are world beaters with their contested ball. ;)

We only have Judd, Murphy, Robinson and Curnow in the middle. :rolleyes: :p

http://twitter.com/#!/MCG_News/status/58723865068699648

General admission seats for #aflbluesdons will only be available on top level of Ponsford and Great Southern Stand. @Carlton_FC @Essendon_FC

http://twitter.com/#!/MCG_News/status/58723865068699648

Can we please not use umpires as an excuse? Especially before the game has even started ffs...

I reckon he plays them in the VFL or tells them they're on this ice without needing to lower his standards as a professional.
Doesn't help when you're, say, four goals down at three-quarter time. But hey, you're right. It seems those mean, nasty coaches have hurt the feelings of these delicate flowers given the number of players seeking psychological help.

Doesn't help when you're, say, four goals down at three-quarter time. But hey, you're right. It seems those mean, nasty coaches have hurt the feelings of these delicate flowers given the number of players seeking psychological help.
Still stuck in the past. I'd say when you're four goals down at 3/4 time it's time for the coach to talk about a few changes or get them back on track and following the game plan rather than needless ranting but hey, I'm sure in all your years of professional sport you know better than any experts these days.

Still stuck in the past. I'd say when you're four goals down at 3/4 time it's time for the coach to talk about a few changes or get them back on track and following the game plan rather than needless ranting but hey, I'm sure in all your years of professional sport you know better than any experts these days.
You're so passive aggressive, Sin.

Yes, but there are better ways for professional sports people to do it then carrying on like a neanderthal.

It's suggested that the Yerkes-Dodson law is readily applicable to the performance of elite athletes, especially in relation to difficult tasks.

Simply put, it's hypothesisd that everyone has an optimal arousal level for producing their best possible performance level. This is usually somewhere around their personal medium level of arousal but as the individual becomes "overly" aroused their perfomance output drops.
YerkesDodsonLawGraph.png

The tricky thing in team sports is that everyones arousal levels are different and someone's personal medium level (which should hypothetically be when they are at optimal performance output) could be someone elses high level (where their performance will suffer).

Because of this the one-size-fits-all motivational pump-up before the game doesn't work for everyone. It's also why someone can appear disinterested on the field, yet be the best player on the team, or the opposite; a bloke who gets so fired up they're almost hyperventilating, but tears the game apart.

Personally, the rah-rah stuff before the game doesn't work for me individually, but during the game you can sense your team feed off of one of your more 'excitable' teammates and their vocal respsonse following a game-turning goal or bone-crunching bump.

You probably need a balance in every side and currently I think we need a few more guys like Robinson to provide that injection of physical excitement during the course of a quarter.

It's suggested that the Yerkes-Dodson law is readily applicable to the performance of elite athletes, especially in relation to difficult tasks.

Simply put, it's hypothesisd that everyone has an optimal arousal level for producing their best possible performance level. This is usually somewhere around their personal medium level of arousal but as the individual becomes "overly" aroused their perfomance output drops.
YerkesDodsonLawGraph.png

The tricky thing in team sports is that everyones arousal levels are different and someone's personal medium level (which should hypothetically be when they are at optimal performance output) could be someone elses high level (where their performance will suffer).

Because of this the one-size-fits-all motivational pump-up before the game doesn't work for everyone. It's also why someone can appear disinterested on the field, yet be the best player on the team, or the opposite; a bloke who gets so fired up they're almost hyperventilating, but tears the game apart.

Personally, the rah-rah stuff before the game doesn't work for me individually, but during the game you can sense your team feed off of one of your more 'excitable' teammates and their vocal respsonse following a game-turning goal or bone-crunching bump.

You probably need a balance in every side and currently I think we need a few more guys like Robinson to provide that injection of physical excitement during the course of a quarter.
Well said :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back