Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Been told White in serious contention at this stage to take on Hurley. Bower may need another week. Its a toss up atm, but Watson the likely one to be dropped if a change is made.

White?
Makes sense to me.

I'm happy for us selecting the best available for specific roles.
Let's not get too down on White for that game on Riewoldt. He's better than that.
Let's not get drawn into names for the sake of them, either.
I'd love to see Bower back but only for a 90%+ Bower not a 75% Bower.

I like our current approcah at the selection table and it may cost us a game or two, but the upshot is one of pragmatism that will ultimtaley reap rewards. :thumbsu:

This may sound a bit stupid, but do essendon have more small or tall forwards? cos this will determine who we bring in.

Depends on if Hille comes in. .. They could play tall or go small, similar to us. .. really. ..

You could see a forward line of:

Cremeri Hurley Monfries
Hille Ryder Zaharakis

Which is quite tall. ..

Doubt it though. ..

More likely you'll get something similar to:

Cremeri Hurley Monfries
Zaharakis Ryder Melksham/Jetta

Still trying to pre-empt the changes before tomorrows teams.

This stuff is getting harder each week, but we may just see a few interesting selections this week.

Possible Ins:

Henderson: (Just worth the chance for the efforts we know he brings to our forward line)
Bower: (If 100% a must inclusion, but if not so then he misses out)
Ellard: May just be brought in to play a stopping role on Watson. One of the more disciplined players we have on our list. Don't be surprised.
Armfield: The run may be vital against Essendons game.
McLean: Just can't see it this week. Highly unlikely
White: If Bower doesn't come up would be a comfortable choice for Hurley as others had suggested earlier.
Lucas: Possible but unlikely. 2 very good games with the Ants will give him better leverage.

Possible Outs:

Watson: May polarize some of us here, but well on the cards for this week at least.
Carrazzo: May not polarize as many, but a hard sell to get him out of our starting squad.
Betts: Highly unlikely unless there is something we don't know.
Walker: Would be a huge mistake for mine.
Thornton: May be very lucky relying on other circumstances to keep him in.
Duigan: I'll eat my shorts if the MC have given up the game plan so easily.
Hampson: 50/50 irrespective of the ruck needs.
Collins: What would be the point of ousting him this week after a quarter of football last week?
Judd: Let's just throw out the baby with the bath-water. :D

This stuff is getting really hard, but once we get the balance right all will be well.

Well here is my review and please copy and paste to the start of the thread Mods. :thumbsu:

carlton-blues-logo.jpg
V
bombers.jpg

Well here we are again Blue's fans our old arch nemesis Essendon. A team that has had the wood on us for way to long until we broke that hoodoo in Rd 19 last year with a massive 10+ goal win that was loooonnnggg overdue!! Garlett was the hero that game booting 6 majors and Juddy racking up a lazy 28 possession's.

We really need to keep it going with another win against the Bombers after dropping last weekend to the Pies. This game has key match up's everywhere and will go over a few that i think will decide the outcome of the game.....

Rucks and Midfield.....

The Bombers are great in this area with a rampaging Ryder and Hille combo supported by Bellchambers who had a great game last week with 41 hit outs. It will be interesting to see wether or not the Bombers play all 3 or only go with 2 against us to maximize pace which is crucial to their game plan. We will still be missing Kruez but Warnock is more than handy and going great guns so far and Hampson is no slouch. We are going to need Juddy and Murphy to have big games if the Bombers get the best of the tap out's in the middle as Jobe Watson will cut us up with first use of the ball and is in career best form.

Our Backline.....

Was exposed a bit against the Pies last week with Matty Watson having a huge task in Cloke and Dawes and the supply also contributed to the problem and hopefully the Bomber forwards don't get the same supply as Hurley is playing good footy and very dangerous and will prove a tough match up for who ever Ratts see's fit to play on him and i think Bower will play and would be my first choice to get Hurley as he has the speed to keep up and can hurt him on the rebound when we have the ball.

Some key match player match ups..

Bower V Hurley.

Robinson V Watson. Jobe needs a hard tag and Mitch is the man IMO!!

Warnock/Hammo V Hille/Ryder.

Murphy V Stanton

There are plenty more but these rank as my most important.

The Wildcards....

Ours will be Garlett and Betts IMO. If these 2 blokes can score 7-8 goals between them we win it is that simple!! Betts was quiet last week and Jeffro has been good all year and had a massive outing the last time we played them.

Bombers i feel are Monfries the Olympic diver who just loves to milk frees and drop to his knees in a stiff breeze to ensure he gets the Umpires attention. Make no mistake the guy can play and usually cut's us up kicking a few goals at important times which have killed us in the past.He needs to be shutdown and kept quiet. Also Davey and Jetta like to play against us usually saving their best run and carry and party tricks which include the flukey goals from the boundary line that just allways seem to float through.

Looks to be a great Saturday afternoon of good footy in front of a bumper crowd of 70k+ and lets just hope we are not talking about the Umpires at the end of it and the boys are allowed to play.

Blues by 26pts. :thumbsu:

Chism.

Nice :thumbsu:

Still trying to pre-empt the changes before tomorrows teams.

This stuff is getting harder each week, but we may just see a few interesting selections this week.

Possible Ins:

Henderson: (Just worth the chance for the efforts we know he brings to our forward line)
Bower: (If 100% a must inclusion, but if not so then he misses out)
Ellard: May just be brought in to play a stopping role on Watson. One of the more disciplined players we have on our list. Don't be surprised.
Armfield: The run may be vital against Essendons game.
McLean: Just can't see it this week. Highly unlikely
White: If Bower doesn't come up would be a comfortable choice for Hurley as others had suggested earlier.
Lucas: Possible but unlikely. 2 very good games with the Ants will give him better leverage.

Possible Outs:

Watson: May polarize some of us here, but well on the cards for this week at least.
Carrazzo: May not polarize as many, but a hard sell to get him out of our starting squad.
Betts: Highly unlikely unless there is something we don't know.
Walker: Would be a huge mistake for mine.
Thornton: May be very lucky relying on other circumstances to keep him in.
Duigan: I'll eat my shorts if the MC have given up the game plan so easily.
Hampson: 50/50 irrespective of the ruck needs.
Collins: What would be the point of ousting him this week after a quarter of football last week?
Judd: Let's just throw out the baby with the bath-water. :D

This stuff is getting really hard, but once we get the balance right all will be well.

I think Laidler is a possible out

Lol!!! How good would a repeat of the 99 prelim be!! ( God i love that game!!) :D

There is nothing more that I would love than beating them by 1 point.

I have worn out the 99 Prelim DVD :D
Rates amongst one of my all time favourite games.

Blues by 1 point !!!!!!!

a concerning parallel between the game from last year... first game last year ratten was intent on 'taking the emotion out of the game'. this time he's 'just after the four points'.

different ways of going about it, but whipping them into a frenzy seems preferable to going through the motions.

There is nothing more that I would love than beating them by 1 point.

I have worn out the 99 Prelim DVD :D
Rates amongst one of my all time favourite games.

Blues by 1 point !!!!!!!

Yeh what a game...just awesome.

But I would prefer to beat them on Saturday by a more comfortable margin..Blues by 25

Having thought about the game a bit more, think we'll see the following:

Out: Thornton, Watson, Collins/Carrazzo
In: Henderson, Bower, Armfield/Ellard/Lucas

above changes are good for team balance.

hoping Walker doesn't get dropped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henderon should come in
Bower should play if fit
Kane Lucas to be named

Watson will be out but have to be pretty happy with him
Thornton will miss out
Walker probably unlucky enough to be dropped

Carrazzo sub

Informative presser, but yeah drop the "early doors"! :p

Its his trade mark now. .. I've even noticed some of the footy shows using the term a lot more when talking about Carlton. ..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ndon-and-carlton/story-e6frf9jf-1226038738488

Justin Madden says grudge match is make or break for Essendon and Carlton

Madden believes the winner is destined for the top four and the loser for a reality check.
"This is a pivotal game for the Blues," Madden said. "It could well and truly set them up for a top-four, top-five finish.
"Alternatively, (if they lose) it will put pressure on them to make the eight because these are the games they have to win to have a good season.
"There have been a lot of people who have been waiting for Carlton. They have good players.
"I'm not going to say (no excuses) ... you can't expect a politician to say no excuses."

735242-jobe-watson.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ndon-and-carlton/story-e6frf9jf-1226038738488

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back