Opinion Sack Hinkley 4 - Show Him The Door

When to sack Ken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After an item on the ABC this morning I decided to look up Port's finals record under Ken Hinkley. In that ABC interview Michelangelo Rucci made the point that Port is 5-5 in finals under Hinkley. At first I did not believe it but after looking up the records he is right.

Since 2013 we have appeared in 5 finals series played 10 matches and won 5 of them. Up until last Saturday our worst loss was by 16 points to Geelong at the MCG in 2013. We lost a Prelim to eventual Premiers Hawthorn by 3 points in 2014 and a Prelim to eventual Premiers Richmond by 6 points last year. In addition in 2017 we lost an Elimination Final to West Coast by 2 points.

Surprisingly under Hinkley we have won 59.6% of 203 games which is actually better than Clarkson (58.5%) or Hardwick's (56.2%) Coaching record.

In the past 9 seasons we have not won a Premiership but neither have Geelong a team that lost by even more than we did last Saturday. Geelon's only upper is that they have made a Grand Final and that was in a year that we defeated them in a Qualifying Final.

The problem is not that we do not win games but more that we do not win the big games but tbh we have been desperately unlucky at times. Maybe a change of Coach would bring us better luck but on the strength of the record above I can see why a numbers man like David Koch would want to stick with Ken Hinkley and as much as it pains me to say it I would be amazed if Hinkley did not at least see his current contract out.
Chris scott has a better winning % than anyone but that doesn't matter if you can't win the games that count. Now I never expected ken to deliver multiple flags I know we exist to win flags but being real lets look at someone like west coast a club full of resources and money, since freo entered the comp in 95, 26 years ago, in that time the eagles have won 2 flags both by less than a kick. And here we were saying we are aiming for 3 flags in 5 years that was never happening. What I'm saying is opportunities don't come around often like the one we had Saturday and ken is to blame for stuffing it up I hope for his and our sakes he gets another chance next year but Its hope rather than expectation

After an item on the ABC this morning I decided to look up Port's finals record under Ken Hinkley. In that ABC interview Michelangelo Rucci made the point that Port is 5-5 in finals under Hinkley. At first I did not believe it but after looking up the records he is right.

Since 2013 we have appeared in 5 finals series played 10 matches and won 5 of them. Up until last Saturday our worst loss was by 16 points to Geelong at the MCG in 2013. We lost a Prelim to eventual Premiers Hawthorn by 3 points in 2014 and a Prelim to eventual Premiers Richmond by 6 points last year. In addition in 2017 we lost an Elimination Final to West Coast by 2 points.

Surprisingly under Hinkley we have won 59.6% of 203 games which is actually better than Clarkson (58.5%) or Hardwick's (56.2%) Coaching record.

In the past 9 seasons we have not won a Premiership but neither have Geelong a team that lost by even more than we did last Saturday. Geelon's only upper is that they have made a Grand Final and that was in a year that we defeated them in a Qualifying Final.

The problem is not that we do not win games but more that we do not win the big games but tbh we have been desperately unlucky at times. Maybe a change of Coach would bring us better luck but on the strength of the record above I can see why a numbers man like David Koch would want to stick with Ken Hinkley and as much as it pains me to say it I would be amazed if Hinkley did not at least see his current contract out.
I mean you're probably right that a finance guy like Koch would see the numbers and think our coach is better than most out there based on his win/loss record. But that is why we need to have a football guy in that job. Winning premierships is the only thing that matters. That is the only thing supporters care about. Everyone gets that teams go through rebuilding phases and contention phases, so you can cut some coaches some slack at various times. We are in the contention phase, and we haven't even made a grand final. After 9 years statistically we should have made one.

Koch is soft and embarrassing...

Hinkley still the man to take the power to a grand final!!??!!!??!

Just getting to the grand final isn't good enough koch you kock!! We exist to win premierships!!!

Koch has seen your "we exist to win premierships" cry, noted it, and will use and abuse it in all future marketing campaigns.

I mean you're probably right that a finance guy like Koch would see the numbers and think our coach is better than most out there based on his win/loss record. But that is why we need to have a football guy in that job. Winning premierships is the only thing that matters. That is the only thing supporters care about. Everyone gets that teams go through rebuilding phases and contention phases, so you can cut some coaches some slack at various times. We are in the contention phase, and we haven't even made a grand final. After 9 years statistically we should have made one.

One would take into account the relative draws of the coaches you're comparing against as well. Constantly finishing 10th and winning over 50% vs finishing top 4 and going deep into finals each year and winning > 50% is not the same.

A workmate who also went to the game & left a quarter earlier than me mentioned that stinkley & Schofield had a punch-on at some point that night, with players arguing between one another before the game. If so, then changes MUST be made & hope f**ken falls on his sword

the club is starting to leak

The outstanding issue is that hinkley is absolutely clueless when it comes to taking on big games against good opposition that is the stat i think is damning against him. He is completely at sea when it comes to giving any tactical advantage against good opposition.
We have become used of him being outcoached on the day it happens all the time so going into these games i expect to see Port lose not win.
Just go hinkley do everyone a favor and resign!

stinkley & Schofield had a punch-on at some point that night,

This is clearly untrue, but I would pay good money to watch it.
Can we get this set up before Schofield leaves?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris scott has a better winning % than anyone but that doesn't matter if you can't win the games that count. Now I never expected ken to deliver multiple flags I know we exist to win flags but being real lets look at someone like west coast a club full of resources and money, since freo entered the comp in 95, 26 years ago, in that time the eagles have won 2 flags both by less than a kick. And here we were saying we are aiming for 3 flags in 5 years that was never happening. What I'm saying is opportunities don't come around often like the one we had Saturday and ken is to blame for stuffing it up I hope for his and our sakes he gets another chance next year but Its wild hope rather than expectation I cling too

Yes, spot on. The thing that doesn't stick well with me is we have finished top 2 for two years in a row and have burned our chances. You only get a limited Premiership window and you need to make the most if it while it is there. Many of us had similar feelings back in 2001-3 when we were good enough to win minor Premierships but lost a couple of finals we should have won.

A workmate who also went to the game & left a quarter earlier than me mentioned that stinkley & Schofield had a punch-on at some point that night, with players arguing between one another before the game. If so, then changes MUST be made & hope f**ken falls on his sword
I've heard something along these lines also, not a punch on but things aren't right in the coaches box and we are going to lose important people because of this **** wit

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Bde4TyTcvSYtFWVLmPZMOWojwLCgdLJKHFi-PkWG50E.jpg

Koch now on 5AA.
"We need to treat that game as an aberration".
"The trend is upwards".
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Give up people. We're ****ed.
Koch is a delusional ****head and hinkley is a dud. Add voss and bassett to the list and most of the board etc. We need a whole cleanout of the footy department. Keep CD and maybe monty and schofield and fitness and recruiting team. Get rid of the rest including social media.

Carlton are on the phone to Michael Voss now, I've got a bad feeling about next year.
Things are going to get far worse before they get better.

I'm very cross with this man because I was promised three years ago that trading Chad Wingard would help us win a premiership and now it's three years later and Chad Wingard is gone but I still don't have a premiership.

I'm very cross with this man because I was promised three years ago that trading Chad Wingard would help us win a premiership and now it's three years later and Chad Wingard is gone but I still don't have a premiership.

Evil Chad. Port’s horcrux. While we’re literally coached by Voldemort.

Carlton are on the phone to Michael Voss now, I've got a bad feeling about next year.
Things are going to get far worse before they get better.

If losing Voss & Schofield causes us to have a bad year, thus eventuating in Ken’s sacking in all for it honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koch will forever continue to say there's plenty "to look forward to" - without actually ever reaching the part that we continuously look forward to. If we are always looking forward we will never have a time when we can actually enjoy the present (which hopefully one day will be seeing our club hold up another premiership cup).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back