Opinion Sack Hinkley 6 - Kochblocked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So… the 2003 side which finished 3 games clear top with 18 wins was inferior to the 2017 side which beat up on dogsh¡t and couldn’t beat anyone good.

Gotcha.
Surely I don’t have to explain that it’s relative to the percentage of other teams during the season? The 2003 side had the best percentage in the competition by some distance.

The 2017 side had the second best after Adelaide but it was decided after we got destroyed by them that we weren’t winning a flag, which is why we brought in guys like Houston, Bonner and Marshall after that game. As for us not beating anyone good...we lost to Geelong away by 2 points at Kardinia (the Dixon 30 second rubbish) - in fact, that bullshit game coupled with the fact that Geelong and GWS played a draw was the very reason why we didn't finish second (Geelong was shit and would have been smoked).

Geelong - 15 wins 6 losses 1 draw - 62 points - 117.4%
Port Adelaide - 14 wins 8 losses - 56 points - 129.7%

Then again, Geelong would have dropped out of the top four if those two scenarios had happened, so we still wouldn't have beaten a top 4 team.

EDIT: Edited - confused 2015 season with 2017 based on Geelong and Adelaide playing in a draw - there were a number of teams that did so that year.

Last edited:
I was thinking that coaching Port Adelaide would be an appealing prospect for any coach wouldn't it? We give 10+ year contracts (not based on performance). We are known for "phoning it in" (skype coaching) so the prospective coach doesn't even need to leave Melbourne and they will have the president defend the indefensible on their behalf. They can treat spectator expectations as annoying white noise and get paid handsomely to do this. What is not to love? We should attract plenty :oops:

Surely I don’t have to explain that it’s relative to the percentage of other teams during the season? The 2003 side had the best percentage in the competition by some distance.

The 2017 side had the second best after Adelaide but it was decided after we got destroyed by them that we weren’t winning a flag, which is why we brought in guys like Houston, Bonner and Marshall after that game. As for us not beating anyone good...we lost to Geelong away by 2 points at Kardinia (the Dixon 30 second rubbish) - in fact, that bullshit game coupled with the fact that Geelong and Adelaide shared points after Phil Walsh's death was the very reason why we didn't finish second (Geelong was s**t and would have been smoked).

Then again, Geelong would have dropped out of the top four if those two scenarios had happened, so we still wouldn't have beaten a top 4 team.

Phil Walsh passed away in 2015.

I was thinking that coaching Port Adelaide would be an appealing prospect for any coach wouldn't it? We give 10+ year contracts (not based on performance). We are known for "phoning it in" (skype coaching) so the prospective coach doesn't even need to leave Melbourne and they will have the president defend the indefensible on their behalf. They can treat spectator expectations as annoying white noise and get paid handsomely to do this. What is not to love? We should attract plenty :oops:

Was told “nobody [else] wants to coach us” by 1 nuff on socials.

The conflation of events and reinforced messaging is producing incredible results.

So… the 2003 side which finished 3 games clear top with 18 wins was inferior to the 2017 side which beat up on dogsh¡t and couldn’t beat anyone good.

Gotcha.
Last 5 seasons:

2021 Melbourne - 3rd best percentage
2020 Richmond - 3rd best percentage
2019 Richmond - 5th best percentage
2018 West Coast - 4th best percentage
2017 Richmond - 4th best percentage
etc.

But it's Janus. He'll be along shortly to tell us in 3,000 words that when he said "It's why the only real metric to use for performance is percentage. Percentage tells you how good you really are." he really meant that if there wasn't some unprecedented set of improbable events in those years Brisbane, Geelong x 2 and Adelaide would be premiers and Richmond could have fourpeated.

Last edited:
Last 5 seasons:

etc.

But it's Janus. He'll be along shortly to tell us in 3,000 words that when he said "It's why the only real metric to use for performance is percentage. Percentage tells you how good you really are." he really meant that if there wasn't some unprecedented set of improbable events in those years Brisbane, Geelong x 2 and Adelaide would be premiers and Richmond could have fourpeated.
I agree with the rest of your post but Richmond absolutely should have fourpeated. If Astbury hadn't been sick for that prelim which let Cox go nuts they would have smashed Wet Toast in the final.

The 2017 side had the second best after Adelaide but it was decided after we got destroyed by them that we weren’t winning a flag, which is why we brought in guys like Houston, Bonner and Marshall after that game. As for us not beating anyone good...we lost to Geelong away by 2 points at Kardinia (the Dixon 30 second rubbish) - in fact, that bullshit game coupled with the fact that Geelong and Adelaide shared points after Phil Walsh's death was the very reason why we didn't finish second (Geelong was s**t and would have been smoked).

Are you trolling? Phil Walsh didn’t get killed in 2017 WTH, am I missing something here? Maybe that CERN collider is really creating alternate realities and merging them with ours

Koch on radio today ranting about prison bars and sanfl when the club has signed contracts on both,what a joke.

At least he didn't say ken's safe,just that's he's contracted for next year

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

SANFL contract has out clauses for these very reasons, they also expire.

There no PB’s contract.

Are you trolling? Phil Walsh didn’t get killed in 2017 WTH, am I missing something here? Maybe that CERN collider is really creating alternate realities and merging them with ours
My mistake - I just saw that they played out a draw and remembered that Geelong and Adelaide had shared points when it happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hats off to Janus, he or she is one probably the best troll i've ever seen on big footy. The word elite gets thrown around too much, but it really is elite level of trolling.

The multiple accounts makes it even more elite.

hats off to Janus, he or she is one probably the best troll i've ever seen on big footy. The word elite gets thrown around too much, but it really is elite level of trolling.
The definition of a troll must then be a post that provides a reasoned, researched, detailed, coherent recount, viewpoint.

Last 5 seasons:

etc.

It won't take 3,000 words.

Percentage is a reflection of the home and away season. It has nothing to do with how a team will perform in finals, the same way that Port losing to Geelong in both 2020 and 2021 away games had nothing to do with us beating them in a qualifying final at home.

It's why Port Adelaide's percentage didn't matter in 2003 when we lost to Sydney at home.

We've signed like 10 players in free agency in the last decade and people honestly still think players and coaches don't want to come here 😆

We have 30 k plus supporters there every week even when we're bottom 8 , Hawks have 18k when they won 3 in a row 😆

Percentage is a reflection of the home and away season. It has nothing to do with how a team will perform in finals, the same way that Port losing to Geelong in both 2020 and 2021 away games had nothing to do with us beating them in a qualifying final at home.

It's why Port Adelaide's percentage didn't matter in 2003 when we lost to Sydney at home.
We're good, except when it matters, I didn't know they had a percentage trophy and someone should have told the Bulldogs how good we were

I assume you took out the double up games, the games were we had injuries and the games where the vibe was off before calculating that percentage.

We've signed like 10 players in free agency in the last decade and people honestly still think players and coaches don't want to come here 😆

We have 30 k plus supporters there every week even when we're bottom 8 , Hawks have 18k when they won 3 in a row 😆
The lack of scrutiny on vic team crowds is laughable

You can either beat a top four team or you can’t. Beat a top eight team or you can’t. Unless you play every team home and away, there’s no point counting the teams that are played twice because if you beat them twice, they may no longer be a top eight team, whereas two losses makes you seem worse, especially if you’re playing a top four side.

Raw data is meaningless when the fixture is weighted every year, whether it be through blockbuster games like Anzac Day, Queens Birthday, Showdown/Derby/Q Clash etc., through who plays who at home or away, or through the AFL’s own three tiered system of assigning double up matches.

But if you want I can make it even more detailed by analysing how many top eight sides we’ve played away vs home over the years, then comparing what our ladder position would have been if we 'downhill skied' over the teams outside the eight. Raw data, remember? Bold are top four teams:

This is why 2014 shouldn’t have come as a surprise. All we needed to do was win the games we should and we would be pushing for top four. We somehow, as a bottom four team, get to play Geelong twice.

This was a year we played about to our level. Note that we weren't good enough to beat any top eight team away from home.

Like I said, 2015 wasn’t really about not beating good sides, it was about not taking care of the bad ones. Get double ups against two eventual top four teams - win 1 game (that was pretty much thrown, but you know, raw data :p)

The list from 2014 in decline. Schulz injured, Carlile injured, White injured, Ryder and Monfries out thanks to Essendon's bullshit, Polec back from a navicular but not really...just a waste of a season.

Pretty much 2014 revisited and showed us where we were at. We finished in the eight but still had 9 games against the 7 other top eight teams.

Hence why we traded Polec, Wingard and Pittard.

Funnily enough we were missing Dixon for most of this year too. That’s how important he is to the team. Plus as I said before, the inconsistency of youth. Not sure how we managed to end up with double ups against two top four teams when it was pretty clear that Brisbane was going to be a good team that year after trading for Neale. Oh, wait I know why - because the AFL is rigged to favour Victorian teams :p

This was a premiership calibre team that was just unlucky. The equivalent of 2008 Hawthorn or 2016 Western Bulldogs.

"But who have they beaten?" ******* everyone we should have, that's who. It was a piss easy fixture though. Similar to 2013, but this time with an actual good team. Bulldogs would have been a top four side, but you know, we beat them in the last round, so they weren't.

This fixture was similar to 2017, but with the injury issues of 2019. If we had our full team available for the year, I believe we would have finished top four again. But as I've said, this might be the recession Port Adelaide had to have. As for the fixture - what a joke. Double ups against Melbourne and Geelong as top four sides + Brisbane, Fremantle, Carlton, Collingwood and St Kilda away. Why? Because it's a tv rights negotiation year, and Port Adelaide doesn't rate in the major markets, that's why.

Top four teams aren't top four teams because they can beat teams in the eight. They are top four teams because they can take care of the teams in the bottom ten and win some games against teams in the eight.

WOW

And I get the odd comment on my sanity (or obvious lack of)

Posts like that make me feel rational, reasonable and boringly normal

Sack Janus

And take your mate ken with you

You can either beat a top four team or you can’t. Beat a top eight team or you can’t. Unless you play every team home and away, there’s no point counting the teams that are played twice because if you beat them twice, they may no longer be a top eight team, whereas two losses makes you seem worse, especially if you’re playing a top four side.

Raw data is meaningless when the fixture is weighted every year, whether it be through blockbuster games like Anzac Day, Queens Birthday, Showdown/Derby/Q Clash etc., through who plays who at home or away, or through the AFL’s own three tiered system of assigning double up matches.

But if you want I can make it even more detailed by analysing how many top eight sides we’ve played away vs home over the years, then comparing what our ladder position would have been if we 'downhill skied' over the teams outside the eight. Raw data, remember? Bold are top four teams:

This is why 2014 shouldn’t have come as a surprise. All we needed to do was win the games we should and we would be pushing for top four. We somehow, as a bottom four team, get to play Geelong twice.

This was a year we played about to our level. Note that we weren't good enough to beat any top eight team away from home.

Like I said, 2015 wasn’t really about not beating good sides, it was about not taking care of the bad ones. Get double ups against two eventual top four teams - win 1 game (that was pretty much thrown, but you know, raw data :p)

The list from 2014 in decline. Schulz injured, Carlile injured, White injured, Ryder and Monfries out thanks to Essendon's bullshit, Polec back from a navicular but not really...just a waste of a season.

Pretty much 2014 revisited and showed us where we were at. We finished in the eight but still had 9 games against the 7 other top eight teams.

Hence why we traded Polec, Wingard and Pittard.

Funnily enough we were missing Dixon for most of this year too. That’s how important he is to the team. Plus as I said before, the inconsistency of youth. Not sure how we managed to end up with double ups against two top four teams when it was pretty clear that Brisbane was going to be a good team that year after trading for Neale. Oh, wait I know why - because the AFL is rigged to favour Victorian teams :p

This was a premiership calibre team that was just unlucky. The equivalent of 2008 Hawthorn or 2016 Western Bulldogs.

"But who have they beaten?" ******* everyone we should have, that's who. It was a piss easy fixture though. Similar to 2013, but this time with an actual good team. Bulldogs would have been a top four side, but you know, we beat them in the last round, so they weren't.

This fixture was similar to 2017, but with the injury issues of 2019. If we had our full team available for the year, I believe we would have finished top four again. But as I've said, this might be the recession Port Adelaide had to have. As for the fixture - what a joke. Double ups against Melbourne and Geelong as top four sides + Brisbane, Fremantle, Carlton, Collingwood and St Kilda away. Why? Because it's a tv rights negotiation year, and Port Adelaide doesn't rate in the major markets, that's why.

Top four teams aren't top four teams because they can beat teams in the eight. They are top four teams because they can take care of the teams in the bottom ten and win some games against teams in the eight.

Yes, but did you take into account who won the coin toss in those games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back