Saints - window officially shut

Remove this Banner Ad

That Jack Steven guy seems to have lifted it a level too.
Jack had played some good footy up forward in previous seasons (including kicking a few goals against you guys a couple of years ago, in a night game at the MCG), but after Lenny went down with his knee last year Jack was just travelling up forward, but in around round 8 he was moved into the midfield and was a revelation there, getting heaps of the ball and winning lots of clearances and had a ripper last 2/3 of the year for us there.

He's just continuing on with that form this year, but now with Lenny back we have a few strings to our bow in the middle that we didn't necessarily have before he went down.

The good thing about Jack is that he's as tough as nails and relentless, but also has serious speed to get out of packs with the footy. He apparently had a lot of groin problems in his first 2-3 years at the club, but is hopefully mostly/completely over them now. Kicking can be suspect at times, but it's hard to fault the way he goes about it.

Dear Saints fans,

Your window is still closed. You beat the premiership favourite and all of a sudden you think you can win a flag in the next few years? Get your dicks out of your hands. All you're doing is prolonging the time it will take to get back to the open window.

:thumbsu:

Nice timing :D

By St Kilda standards, it's been a successful era.

They keep reminding everyone about their 3 GF appearances (yes, the draw counts), heaps of prelims, NAB cup win, and winning streak DVD.

And of course, no successful St Kilda period is complete without a Wooden spoon (2000)

Time for the saints to get back to the bottom where they belong, and start their slow ascent back towards the top

How did you like the game last night bruz?

Ohhhh the Saints fans are out to play after a long hibernation...

Does any of them seriously think they are a premiership contender?

Don't see any reason why we can't be as it is a fairly even season and we are starting to play some good football with some good depth in our playing squad.

If we can beat West Coast on Sunday then surely people will have to start taking more notice of us then.

Ohhhh the Saints fans are out to play after a long hibernation...

Does any of them seriously think they are a premiership contender?

I'm not a Saints fan. But I think they are a contender right now, just like everyone else who isnt Gold Coast, GWS, Brisbane or Port.

Can they keep it up ? Dunno. But they just shoved a crowbar into their allegedly shut premiership window.

Can't get ahead of ourselves here, we were superb last night but we're 7 rounds into a season ffs.

Thing is, we have the cattle to match it with the best teams on our day. You can still see that relentless pressure and frantic team defending from the previous Lyon era, whilst now adding a few more strings to our bow going forward. Saad and Milera for pick 26 was an absolute steal, Pelchen working his magic there.

I still doubt our potential to make it anywhere past 6th place, let alone win the flag as a lot of St Kilda supporters have said here. If we do the same against West Coast this week (which I don't believe we will) then we can start looking a bit further.

The positive feeling has returned to St Kilda. We might be 4-3 instead of possibly being 6-1 (losses to Port and Fremantle at home hurt), however playing a decent brand of footy, having other players stand up whilst getting game time into some of our younger brigade can't be a negative thing. Simpkin, Steven, Saad, Milera, Stanley and McEvoy (when he is in), are all 24 or younger and are beginning to attempt to prepare for life after our stars retire. I agree there's still a decent gap there that needs to be filled, but with some solid drafting I think we can fast track that downward slide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saad and Milera for pick 26 was an absolute steal, Pelchen working his magic there.

Speck,

You're insulting GWS here, by implying we ripped you off.

The actual deal was Saad, Milera and pick #25, in exchange for your pick #20. You then took Sebastian Ross with pick #25, who is currently playing for Sandrinham.

So you actually got the two of them for trading down five spots in the first round :) Never say we havent done anything for teams looking to rebuild :)

By the way, we'd got pick #25 off Collingwood, for them picking Martin Clark and Jamie Elliott, who they are apparently pretty happy with). We then on traded pick #20 to Fremantle, in exchange for the end-of-first round compensation pick they got for Rhys Palmer going to GWS.

It was a good win over Carlton but lets not go nuts. The Saints have no chance of winning the flag this year, they'll be competitive and play finals, but they're not a top 4 team.

Ofcourse we arent - whose overboard?

We've played 1 great game under Watters.....doesnt mean we are contenders FFS out of all 4 games against West Coats, Hawks, Sydney, Carlton.....the ONLY one I had us down as a decent chance in was Carlton...why? 2 reasons:

1. they are our biatches....we like them in light blue also...mmm
2. they are fragile as hell - put some physical pressure on and they fold.

Talk all u want bout Murphy etc but when Jud goes this sides in for years more pain.....guys like Wait and Co play 1 good game in 3...

Will be very interesting to see how far this group is able to go if they start to really enjoy their footy again, which I don't really reckon they've done consistently since about 2009, when we won 19 in a row.

I think almost everyone found it more of a chore than an enjoyable exercise to play, or watch, the way went about it for much of the time under Ross and they might find a new lease on life if they get back to playing exciting, more balanced footy again.

Before Monday night I think most (including me) thought Saints would be outside 8 and in a 3 year re-build.

After Monday night I think we are probably a chance to make the 8 and with another year iinto Cripps, Sippos, Stanley, Steven, Saad, Milera, Simpkins etc be challenging again sooner rather than later.

It is amazing what the injection of a couple of players with real pace can do to the look of the team. With Saad and Milera the Saints have gone from looking ponderous to quite pacey....something we have not been able to say for many years.

Makes me wonder even more what might have been had the whole Lovett thing not gone off the rails.

Speck,

You're insulting GWS here, by implying we ripped you off.

The actual deal was Saad, Milera and pick #25, in exchange for your pick #20. You then took Sebastian Ross with pick #25, who is currently playing for Sandrinham.

So you actually got the two of them for trading down five spots in the first round :) Never say we havent done anything for teams looking to rebuild :)

By the way, we'd got pick #25 off Collingwood, for them picking Martin Clark and Jamie Elliott, who they are apparently pretty happy with). We then on traded pick #20 to Fremantle, in exchange for the end-of-first round compensation pick they got for Rhys Palmer going to GWS.

Pretty sure he was insulting GWS by implying that they made a stupid trade or in other words St Kilda ripped them off.

If we beat West Coast, it won't mean anything. They won't have Kennedy, LeCras, Nicoski, Embley, and perhaps Natanui.

If we beat Sydney, it won't mean anything. They won't have Goodes.

Carlton didn't have Yarran or Carazzo. It didn't mean anything.

If we beat West Coast, it won't mean anything. They won't have Kennedy, LeCras, Nicoski, Embley, and perhaps Natanui.

If we beat Sydney, it won't mean anything. They won't have Goodes.

Carlton didn't have Yarran or Carazzo. It didn't mean anything.

It would mean 12 precious points. I takes them yes I do, precious precious.

I reckon it's going to work out really well for everyone concerned, maybe even Melbourne. I reckon Watters is a perfect fit for where we are and where we need to go (and I think Lyon had run his race with us and wasn't at all disappointed to lose him) and I expect Ross will be just what the Docker ordered.

I heard a lot of really good things about Neeld last year and kind of hoped we'd get him if Lyon happened to leave, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up doing a really good job with Melbourne. He's obviously trying to get them to play a totally different style of footy and it's going to take time to get used to. It took us a long time to get used to playing the demanding way Lyon wanted us to play and we were a team that had played finals the previous three years (including two prelims). So if it took an experienced team, with a winning culture and strong leadership like that, a long time to adjust, it could take Melbourne even longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints - window officially shut

Remove this Banner Ad

Back