Review Sam Darcy and the Bulldogs maul the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy has that aura about him, that you know he will stand up when needed. (Marra has this too)

Last week he didn’t kick as straight as he would’ve liked and backed it up with that performance shows his character.

You can have a big kid like that who can take a mark and kick a goal but to have one that just oozes leadership and class is another thing all together.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon Libba may in be trouble for a tackle in the first quarter.
At the time, I thought the player getting tackled contributed strongly to throwing the tackle to ground.

I think everyone should keep a lid on it even Vandermeer looked good today, couple of nice passes inside 50 and his first goal since May while playing every game and a permanent forward with 10 possessions

Meanwhile Jack McRae plays less than a half has 17 and kicks 2
VDM was good. Watching him live at the ground brings a different experience with
VDM. I went yesterday and he puts some serious heat on the defenders, causing rushed kicks, turnovers etc, mostly out of the view of the tv camera

His first half yesterday was excellent.

VDM was good. Watching him live at the ground brings a different experience with
VDM. I went yesterday and he puts some serious heat on the defenders, causing rushed kicks, turnovers etc, mostly out of the view of the tv camera

I think we can only afford to play one of Vandermeer or McNeil, especially with Harmes coming back next week hopefully.

For me, Vanders should stay. He was very impressive yesterday.

I think we can only afford to play one of Vandermeer or McNeil, especially with Harmes coming back next week hopefully.

For me, Vanders should stay. He was very impressive yesterday.
I would usually agree but McNeil’s production has been impressive recently. He’s getting involved more up around that 13-15 touch mark rather than being invisible and offering nothing but pressure.

I’d still have Harmes in but I doubt it will happen. It seems like it’s Macrae, Harmes, Gallagher, Garcia & Daniel fighting for 2 spots and one sub position.

VDM’s is all fake tough stuff though, like that example with McKercher, banging and pushing him before the first bounce yet he gets absolutely burnt by 5m at the first contest.
It can be embarrassment when they do stuff like that then end up getting outplayed but with many players its just about all fake tough stuff, bad mouthing opponents when they get caught holding the ball, outmarked etc, shoving them while they're lying on the ground. More cowardly than tough. Would like to see that sort of stuff clamped down on.

Last edited:
Pretty wild to go from years/decades of struggling to find one key forward to suddenly having three elite ones at the same time.

Also wild: we have forwards with the 2nd and 8th most contested marks in the league this season and neither of them is Aaron Naughton.

Agree BD – it’s impossible to properly judge a player’s total contribution on a screen.

I make the same observation about Lachie McNeil. Another poster mentioned him dipping back into defence yesterday, there was one occasion when I was like “how the eff did he get back there?!” He and VDM cover enormous territory and their pressure significantly contributes to those instances when we retain the ball in our front half for extended periods. Granted, the skill errors are there for sure and that’s frustrating at times.

When we were underperforming earlier in the year there were frustrations voiced about Doc; the direction he provides his defence teammates can only really be appreciated at the venue.

Also wild: we have forwards with the 2nd and 8th most contested marks in the league this season and neither of them is Aaron Naughton.
I’m still incredibly curious as to where they all land in 2 years time.

Do we re-sign Jamarra on a monster contract and continue with our current structure? Is Darcy a long term forward or is his current role where he’s going to play for the next 5 years? Is one of the 3 not going to be happy sharing the load with two other stars? The reality is that all 3 have the ability to be number 1 key forwards so it’s going to take a management of ego’s.

Naughton, English, JUH & Darcy will take up around $4 million of our cap at least for the next 5 years.

I’m still incredibly curious as to where they all land in 2 years time.

Do we re-sign Jamarra on a monster contract and continue with our current structure? Is Darcy a long term forward or is his current role where he’s going to play for the next 5 years? Is one of the 3 not going to be happy sharing the load with two other stars? The reality is that all 3 have the ability to be number 1 key forwards so it’s going to take a management of ego’s.

Naughton, English, JUH & Darcy will take up around $4 million of our cap at least for the next 5 years.

To me, Naughton seems quite happy to play whatever role he’s asked and not be the main man. The interesting thing for me will be whether Jamarra is happy being the Roughead to Darcy’s Franklin, if that’s how it pans out.

I’m not so concerned about the cap. If you’re going to spend it anywhere then key forwards would be number one for me, then mids. Having good key forwards means we don’t have to be quite so creative with what we do in selecting the other forward positions and in how we move the ball.

To me, Naughton seems quite happy to play whatever role he’s asked and not be the main man. The interesting thing for me will be whether Jamarra is happy being the Roughead to Darcy’s Franklin, if that’s how it pans out.

I’m not so concerned about the cap. If you’re going to spend it anywhere then key forwards would be number one for me, then mids. Having good key forwards means we don’t have to be quite so creative with what we do in selecting the other forward positions and in how we move the ball.
Naughton is certainly the key. If he continues to be able to play a selfless role for the team then all can co-exist in the short term.

Jamarra still worries me in a couple of seasons. Ultimately it’s not the end of the world given we still have the other two. Losing Buddy didn’t prevent the Hawks from winning a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it needs to be a Roughead/Franklin scenario.

Darcy obviously spends a good period rucking and Naughts and Jamarra are very capable roaming and winning possessions outside 50.

A situation where they all get periods playing deepest and being the prime target but rotating regularly is the best way to stretch the opposition.

I love the joy they show at each other's successes. As a team (along with Cody, Rhylee and Bont pushing forward) they are a serious weapon.

Agree BD – it’s impossible to properly judge a player’s total contribution on a screen.

I make the same observation about Lachie McNeil. Another poster mentioned him dipping back into defence yesterday, there was one occasion when I was like “how the eff did he get back there?!” He and VDM cover enormous territory and their pressure significantly contributes to those instances when we retain the ball in our front half for extended periods. Granted, the skill errors are there for sure and that’s frustrating at times.

When we were underperforming earlier in the year there were frustrations voiced about Doc; the direction he provides his defence teammates can only really be appreciated at the venue.

Yeah that's something that I noticed from McNeil in the VFL before he came back into the team, he'd cover a lot of ground contesting in the defensive half before running hard to provide a link up forward. It didn't always come off but he was working hard to get involved.

Weird game from him too. Not great body language.

Agree.

At one stage he marked 30m out (hit the post), but lept in front of Cody to mark the ball.
Nothing unusual in itself, but Cody kinda stood there 'miming' a chest mark, but no humour at all from Bont. Almost gave him a dismissive look.

He has been noticeably goal hungry in the last month or so.

Agree.

At one stage he marked 30m out (hit the post), but lept in front of Cody to mark the ball.
Nothing unusual in itself, but Cody kinda stood there 'miming' a chest mark, but no humour at all from Bont. Almost gave him a dismissive look.

He has been noticeably goal hungry in the last month or so.

I like it personally, no fking around this time of the year.

I don't think it needs to be a Roughead/Franklin scenario.

Darcy obviously spends a good period rucking and Naughts and Jamarra are very capable roaming and winning possessions outside 50.

A situation where they all get periods playing deepest and being the prime target but rotating regularly is the best way to stretch the opposition.

I love the joy they show at each other's successes. As a team (along with Cody, Rhylee and Bont pushing forward) they are a serious weapon.

Marra's excitement when Darcy marked (and kicked) one of his 3rd q(?) goals was great. Marra clapped the mark, then ran to Sam as the goal went through. Plus Marra and Astro look like they have a strong bond too.

Also Marra was involved across the centre and even half back in passages, and his ground level and hand skills are not found wanting in our manic passages of flicking the ball around and past oppos. I'm happy to concede I was critical of his work rate at times, but the second half of his season has been phenomenal. Not just the marking, but tackling, smothering, etc. He's really come to play.

The three talls all provide incredible defensive pressure inside F50. They can't chase like a small forward, but their presence creates doubt in defenders' minds as we enter 50, but also as oppos try to clear our 50. Inferred pressure contributes to hesitation/turnovers.

I think the success of our three headed monster, and Lobb required elsewhere, means the four headed monster has probably been made extinct. Even when Bont pushes/rests forward, it's when one of the Big Three are having a spell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Sam Darcy and the Bulldogs maul the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back