Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (10) released 20/8

Season (10) :
• Noah Long (Knee)
• Elijah Hewett (Foot)
• Tyler Brockman (Ankle)
• Callum Jamieson (Ankle/Knee)
• Dom Sheed (Foot/Hamstring)
• Luke Edwards (Concussion)
• Josh Rotham (Abdominal)
• Tom Barrass (Back/Hamstring) - Was 1-2 weeks
• Jeremy McGovern (Thumb) - New
• Jamaine Jones (Concussion) - New

It’s the last game of the season so all players are now listed as out for the season

Chesser and Burgiel have both been removed from the list after recovering from their respective injuries

Andrew Gaff has retired and won’t be available to play

Time to cut our losses with both of them

I remember plenty of people saying that about JWill, and look at him now. LEdwards is gone I reckon, but Jamo has shown something down back and I don't think he's really clogging up the list to try and get his body right next year and continue learning that back role in the twos.

I remember plenty of people saying that about JWill, and look at him now. LEdwards is gone I reckon, but Jamo has shown something down back and I don't think he's really clogging up the list to try and get his body right next year and continue learning that back role in the twos.
I dunno, from what i saw of him down back he was spudding it up like rotham. Dropping sitters and missing easy targets...then stands there like a stunned mullet.

I dunno, from what i saw of him down back he was spudding it up like rotham. Dropping sitters and missing easy targets...then stands there like a stunned mullet.

Imagine learning to play key back with our embarrassing midfield in charge of putting pressure on the footy. No easy task. I just don't think we gain much from throwing him out before we really explore whether he has a future down there. If he's where he is now in 12 months then yeah sure, give him the flick.

Jamo was impressive for a bloke that only learnt the role over summer. His biggest issue is staying on the park. As much as Hedwards has looked good he’s been caught out when defending his man. I think Jamo could potentially be a lockdown tall. Has the speed and athleticism to play as one.

He also took pack marks that the likes of Rotham don't do. He has the athleticism and marking ability. Only having played the four games this year doesn't give us a great sample size but he also won every 1v1 contest (5 of 5) according to AFL stats. I think he just needs to simplify what he does when he has the ball like Barrass. Barrass doesn't try to find Kelly or someone up the middle, he usually switches the play or goes long to a contest. If Jamo can stick to his limitations when he has the ball then I think there's enough potential to persist with.

Not to say he won't be gone but worth considering that Luke Edwards played virtually ever game he was available for this season. He was dropped once during that whole let's bring back Sheed and Gaff experiment and then recalled immediately. We've cut players before who played a decent chunk of seniors in their final year but it would be unusual for a player who's been selected as consistently as Edwards to be delisted, especially when he's done that despite 3-4 concussions interrupting his season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Official injury list (10) released 30/7

Season (4) :
• Noah Long (Knee)
• Elijah Hewett (Foot)
• Tyler Brockman (Ankle)
• Callum Jamieson (Ankle/Knee) - Was TBC

TBC (1) :
• Luke Edwards (Concussion) - New

Short Term (2) :
• R23-24 Coby Burgiel (Hamstring) - 2-3 weeks (Was 3-4 weeks)
• R22-23 Tom Barrass (Concussion) - 1-2 weeks (New)

Test (3) :
• Zane Trew (Neck) - New
Alex Witherden (Hip) - New
Jeremy McGovern (Rib/Lung) - No change

In addition to the above injuries, Jack Petruccelle and Jack Hutchinson are both unavailable for 1 week due to suspension

Will be a huge loss, we need more than decent compensation for it
No it won't.

Our problem limiting oppo inside 50s. He has played 17 games this year, and it stopped the capacity of the oppo scoring when it did come inside 50, but we still lost and badly for half of those games.

Ultimately if you don't limit oppo ball movement and inside 50s, even if you can have the best defence, you're gonna lose.

We have to win it in the middle and keep territory in our half for longer. The third quarter against Freo, we his sliced and diced like an episode of Dexter. Barrass or not, we still get butchered.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back