No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and for years afterwards. There was so much vitriol towards him on this board and now it's all love. Don't know whether it's the same people or not, but the tonal shift has been head spinning!

Because 99% of people didn't know what actually happened as Ross kept tight lipped about the treatment he received from the club when he wanted to stay and they ****ed him around.

I think everyone outside let alone inside the football club knew the football department, and therefore Ratts, was getting reviewed because of the aforementioned second half fadeaway... anything else?
You think? I'm going by what we know. They exteded him three months ago, told him his job was safe when the review began, and 4 days before sacking him they told him he would probably get the arse and to present his case to the board.

You can spin it whichever way you like, it wasn't handled well.

You think? I'm going by what we know. They exteded him three months ago, told him his job was safe when the review began, and 4 days before sacking him they told him he would probably get the arse and to present his case to the board.

I heard Lethlean brought flowers (white lilies) to the first meeting with Ratts where he was told about Seek.com so
that showed some level of respect I would have thought.

37ced1583f7ed0c6d670021e6650e303

1c9c61d488d4ce46e5c685225119b7b7ca430664

Last edited:

Will he get his new contract fully paid up?

Theres no spin, just going off facts. Who and where is it said his job was safe at the start of the review? You don't tend to review the football department and not the head coach.. I mean i believe the same was said at the Roos before Noble got the flick.

As far as the 'present his case' thats being negatively spun by the media, if you've got review findings that say - head coach not fit for role because of x, y and z, then you can either give him the flick or you can at least ask him to explain the x, y and z to see if the reviewers got it wrong and misunderstoof etc.. which is what basset indicated in the presser. You can look at it half glass full or empty, but I believe that Basset had good intentions when he stated this and sat down with Ratts to understand the issues resulting from the findings and Ratts views rather than just accepting the reviewers point blank..

If anything it was done with a good deal of maturity in the process imo.

Will he get his new contract fully paid up?
6 months is the maximum payout these days. Before 2020 it used to be whatever is remaining on the contract. They've done it to stop clubs from going bankrupt over mistakes.

The not handling it well bit is signing on half way at 8 and 3

Everything after it leads back to that
Certainly looks s**t at the end no doubt.

Even at 8-3 there were warning sign. We had a soft draw & some of the wins were a bit unconvincing. The wins over the Cats, Tigers & Freo show that this list has plenty more to give. Ross will have us playing finals year 1 & a prelim year 2.

I think what he'll do is bring systems and set plays to make us up to date. I expect a much more team orientated side. Ross has his stars but what his sides do well is work hard and work for each other. Our depth is a strength and if we can utilise that with his systems based game plan I think we might surprise a few.
Watching Geelong a couple of times, once in our win and when they beat Richmond, I was struck by their team oriented play, their absolutely drill formations and execution of the team play. For that to occur you need
1) Mature players. Geelong has that in spades
2) Buy in from every single player
3) a group of high end players

Ross will get the buy in, it has shown in the past. We have a decent list age and players should execute the plan in place.

Do we have the spine and top end talent?

Last edited:
Theres no spin, just going off facts. Who and where is it said his job was safe at the start of the review? You don't tend to review the football department and not the head coach.. I mean i believe the same was said at the Roos before Noble got the flick.

As far as the 'present his case' thats being negatively spun by the media, if you've got review findings that say - head coach not fit for role because of x, y and z, then you can either give him the flick or you can at least ask him to explain the x, y and z to see if the reviewers got it wrong and misunderstoof etc.. which is what basset indicated in the presser. You can look at it half glass full or empty, but I believe that Basset had good intentions when he stated this and sat down with Ratts to understand the issues resulting from the findings and Ratts views rather than just accepting the reviewers point blank..

If anything it was done with a good deal of maturity in the process imo.
Bassat and Ratten mentioned publicly when the review was announced that the review would look at the football department and how it operates and that given Ratten's 2 year extension he would be safe from the review. They both came out at different times over the week it was announced and mentioned this.

Bassat indicated in the presser that the review had been finished a month ago yet 4 days before he sat there and told us that, Ratten was told that his job was on shaky ground and it wasn't looking good. Those are Bassat's words at the press conference announcing his sacking. They knew about it for a month but decided to tell Ratten four days out from the announcement.

Really poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bassat and Ratten mentioned publicly when the review was announced that the review would look at the football department and how it operates and that given Ratten's 2 year extension he would be safe from the review. They both came out at different times over the week it was announced and mentioned this.

Bassat indicated in the presser that the review had been finished a month ago yet 4 days before he sat there and told us that, Ratten was told that his job was on shaky ground and it wasn't looking good. Those are Bassat's words at the press conference announcing his sacking. They knew about it for a month but decided to tell Ratten four days out from the announcement.

Really poor.
it's poor in a way, but if the media new ratts was under review it would be a shit show ala noble, bolten etc. It's better not to say anything and just do the review then axe the coach if needed. The media is pissy because they didn't get to write articles about ratten's future for two months, but ultimately it's much ado about nothing. Ratts got a contract cos we were going well, it had a six month pay out, it gave a sense of stability to the club and media to allow us to push for top four. Unfortunately it didn't work out and ratts was sent packing. Yeah he had to argue his case for a few days, but that's not the end of the world, at the time I'm sure he was happy he had a chance to be heard.

There's not easy way to sack a coach. This was the least tabloidy way, but of course the media will try and bleed it dry even though it's done and dusted. Vultures.

Really poor.
Basset sung this to Ratts before he boned him .......

Even at 8-3 there were warning sign. We had a soft draw & some of the wins were a bit unconvincing. The wins over the Cats, Tigers & Freo show that this list has plenty more to give. Ross will have us playing finals year 1 & a prelim year 2.
That would be the dream scenario, will be interesting to see if we can stack up to the young media darling teams with all the talent in the world apparently. Freo, lions, demons dogs, Sydney, hope we use it as motivation to work harder in off season. Respect for stkilda is never given, always earned.

it's poor in a way, but if the media new ratts was under review it would be a s**t show ala noble, bolten etc. It's better not to say anything and just do the review then axe the coach if needed. The media is pissy because they didn't get to write articles about ratten's future for two months, but ultimately it's much ado about nothing. Ratts got a contract cos we were going well, it had a six month pay out, it gave a sense of stability to the club and media to allow us to push for top four. Unfortunately it didn't work out and ratts was sent packing. Yeah he had to argue his case for a few days, but that's not the end of the world, at the time I'm sure he was happy he had a chance to be heard.

There's not easy way to sack a coach. This was the least tabloidy way, but of course the media will try and bleed it dry even though it's done and dusted. Vultures.
We should've just sacked him when we knew, which was three and a half weeks before we told him. Give him more of a chance to get to another club as an assistant. Have some common courtesy at least. We unnecessarily sat on it.

We should've just sacked him when we knew, which was three and a half weeks before we told him. Give him more of a chance to get to another club as an assistant. Have some common courtesy at least. We unnecessarily sat on it.
He'll get a gig. Or he'll take the payout and chill for the year with a bit of dirty media work to top himself up. Don't worry about Ratten. He'll live.

For the 18th time ffs hurry up. Get that ink on the paper and roll the Boss out for a presser and tell him he can go his hardest at the journos.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Really poor.

So this is the presser from Bassat and note the following statement - Bassat to lead men's football program review

“The review is challenging all elements of our organisation, insofar as they relate to football performance, all the way through to an objective assessment of how myself and the board can better perform our roles.

This means the coach is not out of bounds... i mean even some of the media was onto it prior to the review.. i.e.

You'd have to be naive to think you're going to be glossed over on your performance as coach because you've just signed an extension... I feel bad for Ratts, but comon, lets not kid ourselves.

He'll get a gig. Or he'll take the payout and chill for the year with a bit of dirty media work to top himself up. Don't worry about Ratten. He'll live.
Yes he will, but for the thousandth time it still doesn't take away from the way we handled this whole thing. I'm not even fussed on us re-signing him when we did because I know how it works, but when we knew his fate we should've told him. Sitting on it for three weeks and then telling a guy on a Sunday his job is probably finished without warning, 4 days later it's publicly announced lol. Lets hope we are better next time.

This is not related to coaching in any way but I just saw that kosi is dating Lauren Jackson.
Can you imagine the father son talent we might be able to get out of that relationship!!
Please get it done kosi!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Saw that. And noted that Kosi is being employed at the Danny Frawley Centre

So this is the presser from Bassat and note the following statement - Bassat to lead men's football program review

“The review is challenging all elements of our organisation, insofar as they relate to football performance, all the way through to an objective assessment of how myself and the board can better perform our roles.

This means the coach is not out of bounds... i mean even some of the media was onto it prior to the review.. i.e.

You'd have to be naive to think you're going to be glossed over on your performance as coach because you've just signed an extension... I feel bad for Ratts, but comon, lets not kid ourselves.

Yes, he said that, he also publicly came out, along with Ratten, and said Ratten's job was safe. Not to mention that Bassat also said that Ratten's job was under threat a month before the announcement of his sacking. So in July it was safe, new information came out, and in September it wasn't safe anymore. We waited a month to tell Ratten that and then gave a dead man walking four days to save his job, according to Bassat.

It continues a long history now of mixed messaging from the president and he needs to handle it better.

I am glad we corrected the mistake and think we are actively trying to improve which is good but I don't know what part of this whole situation you think is professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back