No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that measure shouldn’t be considered when you’re deciding if he should coach or not .. a bounce of the ball and a toe poke doesn’t make him any less of a fit .. the body of work and getting there and giving his side a chance to win it should be the measure
Again, he has no body of work that supports this in the last 8 years.

You’re comparing him to Clarko except Clarko has a swag of actual premierships.

If you’re saying that we’re getting him because of his body of work his body of work in ancient on football terms and then it lends to well he was SOOOO successful you can’t ignore it, except he wasn’t.

You’ve gotta do some serious mental gymnastics to justify that his coaching record is so successful he is by far and away the best candidate while also acknowledging he didn’t actually win anything and it’s 3 years out of the afl system and 8 years since he was any good.

And there is nothing to say it won’t be a raging success either.

Your basing how you feel entirely on the fact he was here prior.

Instead of considering is he the best candidate for the job.

And if he isn’t. Please outline what you need the coach in our next coach. Because I’m genuinely interested to see what boxes Ross doesn’t tick.
I'm basing it on him not coaching for the past 3 years and him not having a winning season since 2015. His game plan is outdated and he has never shown a willingness to adapt. He also caused a lot of unrest at Fremantle by the end of his tenure there that was not good for them.To hand the job to someone who hasn't been in club land and coached under the significant rule changes since he has been sacked seems ludicrous - literally handing the job to someone without knowing seeing if their strategies work with the current rules.

You are basing him being the best candidate on looking back at 2009 and getting a warm, fuzzy feeling rather than looking at what he was doing at the end of his tenure as head coach at Freo and his lack of coaching over the past 3 years.

I couldn't give a flying feck what you or your mate think , the bloke that i spoke to this morning was meant to be having dinner with him on Wednesday night but Ratts Mrs was sick so they didn't catch up.

If what i posted had been posted by a few other select posters i bet you wouldn't have questioned them , how dare another poster have some info
Funny you say that....after needlessly shooting down others with info in the past.

Pot, kettle, black really...

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

For all the fors and against for Ross, every team he has coached he has taken to a grand final. I haven't checked the stats but I would say that's one hell of a record.

People underestimating just how hard it is to get to one let alone win one.

He doesn't have to hang around or win a premiership but I guarantee he will at least get the house in order.

It’s fill

stavro#4 i don’t get the anti Ross people, especially when the argument is that he is the past.

He’s just the best candidate out there by that far it isn’t funny.

Why go for an untried coach when you have someone as passionate and good as Rossy

Carlton said the same thing when they got Malthouse.

Fact is that more 1st time coaches win premierships.
In fact Lyon is as successful as Buckley and Cameron.

It was a great period but all we are doing is hoping for the past.

The two teams he has coached have only been able to stay up for so long. There's no refresh with him. He burns the team out.

Give me a McRae type, hell even a Chris Scott, any ****ing day of the week.

I'm basing it on the state he left the club in. He was the head guy. He was the one who exited players in press conferences after a final only to then jump ship and go to a team on the up.
He had a year to go on his contract.

We can look back with fond memories. But it is now time to look forward.

If the club undergoes a full coaching selection and he undergoes interviews and is selected, then awesome.
But if we just select him without doing Due Diligence then the club administration have learnt nothing.
So you’ll only be happy if there is an ad on seek and people apply and then they interview and maybe a second or third round - even though we know Lyon would be by far the best candidate.

I don’t think that has to be the only process. That’s just what we are used to when saying, “there needs to be a process”.

If we know what we need in a coach

If we know the specific challenges he will face and what we need him to overcome.

And ultimately we know who we want.

ThAt is also a process and it actually falls inline with “head hunting”. Which plenty of Million + dollar companies do

I reckon that rule you have about not going back is pretty sound when it comes to most things in life/relationships.

But sport is a bit irrational - which is why we love it.

Our club is also a bit irrational - again plays a part in why we love it.

Ross is one of the few top quality coaches going around, even if he’s an ex.

I reckon I’m just about all in on Ross now. I’m going to sit back this weekend with a few G and Ts and watch the winning finals from 09-10.

I just want to hope again.
Ross hasn't been a top coach for many years. He's done nothing of note for 5 years to say he is the best coach for 2023 and beyond.

Let me put this another way.

12 weeks ago we extended Ratts contract, it was done off the back of the first 11 rounds of the season and when it was done (and even before) a number of posters in here said it was stupid. We didn’t say that because we’re geniuses or clairvoyants we said it because there was a completely acceptable and reasonable option to just wait until the end of the year to make a decision on his future. He was contracted, he wasn’t in demand and there was absolutely no need to go early. Some semblance of process and consideration would have meant that you didn’t have idiots like me saying “told you so” in October.

We are here again.

If we appoint Ross without any process, without any consideration to other potential candidates and options then when it fails (and it probably will fail) you’ll have idiots like me saying “told you so” again.

Don’t let me say “told you so” just run some interviews, have some blokes do a PowerPoint. Have a candidate sell us on what they’ll bring.

Do the one thing that will make all of us say “well at least we were thorough, couldn’t have done anymore”.

If you do that and Ross has the polo on in a few weeks talking about time trial results then I’ll back him with all the gusto of a 35 year saints man.

If not I’ll be waiting for the fall again.

Triggering Bro's Nu Saints board challenge ticket

Board: Mark Riccutto, Xavier Campbell, Michael Nattlefold
CEO: Andrew Thighburn
Coach: James Hird
Assistant Coaches: Brendon Lade, Mitch Robinson, Dani Laidley
Head of Football Strategy: Danny Sexton
Head of Media: Damien Barrett
Elite Training: Collective Minds
Captain: Darcy Parish
Trainee Receptionist: Grant Thomas
FWIW a lot of various sources are saying RTB has the gig.

Ross hasn't been a top coach for many years. He's done nothing of note for 5 years to say he is the best coach for 2023 and beyond.
Brut - with all due respect you have continually backed a couple of absolute loser coaches! Your credentials to evaluate a coach are farked! RTB would be an amazing appointment after Watters, Richo & Ratts…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you’ll only be happy if there is an ad on seek and people apply and then they interview and maybe a second or third round - even though we know Lyon would be by far the best candidate.

I don’t think that has to be the only process. That’s just what we are used to when saying, “there needs to be a process”.

If we know the specific challenges he will face and what we need him to overcome.

ThAt is also a process and it actually falls inline with “head hunting”. Which plenty of Million + dollar companies do

Ross was a great candidate between 2009 and 2015.

The bloke hasn't wanted to actually apply for jobs in the past 2 years. He wants to be given it. That screams danger. He's too scared to get knocked back in a selection process.

As I said if he jumps through the necessary hoops and makes a better impression than other candidates then so be it.

But for a majority of the board that for the past 12 months have been up in arms about 'proper process' and jobs for mates, to be fine with handing the keys over without a proper search for a coach. And to base it on how good he was 8 years ago. Jesus we might as well be talking about getting Blighty back.

If they are going to headhunt, at least go after someone who is relevant to the modern game. Someone who is out there implementing strategies that are relevant to how football is playing in 2023 and who is looking to innovate rather than roll out the same material they have for years.

No one can argue his ending to Freo was good.

But equally, no one can argue his first few years at both St Kilda and Freo (hardly models for success) weren’t very, very good.

On that evidence, if you hire Lyon, he WILL give you a crack at the big prize.

From where we stand right now, that’ll do me just fine.

Affleck and Lopez got back together after 17 years. It's a modern day fairytale.
Ben should have locked down Ana De Armas.

If they are going to headhunt, at least go after someone who is relevant to the modern game. Someone who is out there implementing strategies that are relevant to how football is playing in 2023 and who is looking to innovate rather than roll out the same material they have for years.
I like Ross because he demands respect. If you don't show it - you're not playing next week. Does Adam Yze come with that? Who else is there?
I don't want Noble, sorry. I like Buckley but I don't want him at the club. Look at what happened to the Pies this year when Buckley's shackles were removed. I think he'd be Richo 2.0. Leppitsch, no thanks. Caracella's name is too long so we can't have him involved for my sake.

But equally, no one can argue his first few years at both St Kilda and Freo (hardly models for success) weren’t very, very good.

Have you actually looked at the lists he took over? Gringo would of led either team to finals!

I reckon that rule you have about not going back is pretty sound when it comes to most things in life/relationships.

I know three different couples who broke up for a while then got back together and ended up having happy long term relationships. This could be it for the saints too.

They were very good, but those were a long time ago.

If it was a candidate without history with the club whose last formidable season as coach was back in 2015, would anyone be advocating so hard for them? I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back