No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me put this another way.

12 weeks ago we extended Ratts contract, it was done off the back of the first 11 rounds of the season and when it was done (and even before) a number of posters in here said it was stupid. We didn’t say that because we’re geniuses or clairvoyants we said it because there was a completely acceptable and reasonable option to just wait until the end of the year to make a decision on his future. He was contracted, he wasn’t in demand and there was absolutely no need to go early. Some semblance of process and consideration would have meant that you didn’t have idiots like me saying “told you so” in October.

We are here again.

If we appoint Ross without any process, without any consideration to other potential candidates and options then when it fails (and it probably will fail) you’ll have idiots like me saying “told you so” again.

Don’t let me say “told you so” just run some interviews, have some blokes do a PowerPoint. Have a candidate sell us on what they’ll bring.

Do the one thing that will make all of us say “well at least we were thorough, couldn’t have done anymore”.

If you do that and Ross has the polo on in a few weeks talking about time trial results then I’ll back him with all the gusto of a 35 year saints man.

If not I’ll be waiting for the fall again.
They did say (in the presser today) that at the start of the year they'd told Brett they'd talk at the half way point, at 8-3 it would be hard not to offer him an extension...not sure what else they could've done at the time.

Not sure about this bit. Separation of duties might mean the coach is responsible for motivation and culture and standards and man management. While Rath or similar might be responsible for strategy and gameplan and style etc.

If that’s the case then RTB could definitely do it.
If he’s head coach he still has to be able to coach. How does he oversee if he doesn’t know what he’s doing?

I’m not suggesting he’s not a good coach, I’m suggesting that there’s no evidence in the last 8 years to suggest that he still is.

You’re adamant that him getting a team to a grand final 8 years ago means he’s good, it doesn’t.

I haven’t mentioned anything about the last 8 years . My original post was about sometime referring to him as a ‘serial loser’ and read also we need ‘a winner not someone who can deliver a bunch of runner up trophies’. I am calling out that view as narrow minded and if a bounce of the ball went the other way or Dawson gets a bigger fist to stop the toe poke etc he’d be viewed on the same bracket as a Roos or Longmire …

The fact it didn’t fall the way doesn’t make him less. His legacy is less but doesn’t change his actual coaching performance

That’s the only point I was making nothing else that you’re suggesting… I’ve got absolutely no idea if he would be good in todays world or if his style would translate that’s for better people than me to decide but the commentary that he’s no good because we didn’t win is just flat out wrong

Seems like we are talking about different things anyway so happy to leave it there

I totally understand those who don't want Ross. And I totally understand those who do want Ross. I don't think I entertained the thought of him coming back... until today.

Ross does make sense for our current list, too many have been given an armchair ride. I'm not sure how he'll go with only one or two A graders, but we bat deeper with the good players than we did a decade ago... it was more chalk and cheese players back then.

They did say (in the presser today) that at the start of the year they'd told Brett they'd talk at the half way point, at 8-3 it would be hard not to offer him an extension...not sure what else they could've done at the time.
You don’t know what else they could have done?

I spelled it out in the post you quoted…

Let’s not rehash this cause Christ knows we’ve all wasted more words and time over it than we should have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love a 17 win 5 loss season again. I know the goal is to win a flag, but just to be competitive would be fantastic.
Wasn't it great going to the football believing you could beat anyone.

Remember people on SS whinging about us 'only' averaging 15 goals a game. Would kill to average that nowdays

How about this paragraph from zerhanger.com

As the cold light of day breaks on yet another St Kilda submission for the most dysfunctional organisation in the history of sport, fans are rightly wondering, what next? Having sacked coach Brett Ratten within four months of extending his contract, the club is reeling.

I don't see how that is such a bad thing to do?
I mean if we don't do it, we set ourselves up to fail before we begin.
You think it’s a good call to get tunnel vision amd beg a guy who hasn’t coached at any level in 3 years, hasn’t won a final in 8 years and hasn’t even said he wants to coach or has any ideas for us without considering any other options…

Cool… I’m glad you’re not in charge of the process.

We don't know if RTB's coaching style has developed.
We don't know if his man management will adapt to a new generation of players.
We don't know if his game plan has evolved.
But...he is the most successful coach available today, who we KNOW will drive high standards and will most likely get improvement out of the list.

That's more than we can say for any other potential candidate.

Not 100% onboard but if we're going to eat a sh*t sandwich we might as well order it with mustard, tom sauce and a side of fries.

You think it’s a good call to get tunnel vision amd beg a guy who hasn’t coached at any level in 3 years, hasn’t won a final in 8 years and hasn’t even said he wants to coach or has any ideas for us without considering any other options…

Cool… I’m glad you’re not in charge of the process.

No, I was agreeing with you.

I haven’t mentioned anything about the last 8 years . My original post was about sometime referring to him as a ‘serial loser’ and read also we need ‘a winner not someone who can deliver a bunch of runner up trophies’. I am calling out that view as narrow minded and if a bounce of the ball went the other way or Dawson gets a bigger fist to stop the toe poke etc he’d be viewed on the same bracket as a Roos or Longmire …

The fact it didn’t fall the way doesn’t make him less. His legacy is less but doesn’t change his actual coaching performance

That’s the only point I was making nothing else that you’re suggesting… I’ve got absolutely no idea if he would be good in todays world or if his style would translate that’s for better people than me to decide but the commentary that he’s no good because we didn’t win is just flat out wrong

Seems like we are talking about different things anyway so happy to leave it there
On record he’s as good as any other coach that got to a grand final and didn’t win.

Your opinion of success doesn’t align with the very bare trophy cupboard but you’re right we’re discussing different things.

I agree the decision needs to be made by smarter people with the required info. “Ross was good a couple years ago” is not sufficient info for me or anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back