No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I think many saw issues with the coaching, and the review cannot be labelled as window dressing now.

But if we hire Hird, then I'm probably done. If the club doesn't care about the welfare of the players, then I don't any more either. Save the petrol driving from an hour and a half away, the juggling of kids soccer schedules and all the other efforts to make sure I get to games.

I state unequivocally: James Hird should never work in the industry again. Anyone else and I'll talk myself into it.
Bomber Thompson then ?

Not sure Ratten was the right man but this hasn't been handled well and I feel for him.

Cudos to those who questioned his re-signing mid-season - that was a dumb move by the club.
I was one but I gotta say it never seemed like a particularly insightful viewpoint.

You don’t measure success in july.

Anyway I’ve crowed enough. Onward and upward

Yeah I really don’t like the recent attitude that you see so much of in society these days of “they made a mistake, they must be fired”

Loved Collingwood’s attitude this year which was basically the exact opposite.

They welcomed mistakes as they wanted everyone to take the game on

Having this “mistakes must be punished” attitude disincentivises risk taking and dare.
I gotta laugh at the calls for Bassat to get the arse too. Guy who actually initiated the review that many have been crying out for, lol. Completely cleaning out the football department and last night getting rid of what many believed to be the main reason for our situation.

I'm okay with mistakes as long as they are corrected and not repeated.

I just had a long chat to my mate who is very close to Ratts and he said at this point he cant tell me the reason he was sacked but said when he tells me in a week or two when things settle down he said i would laugh as its that petty.
Anyone thinking its to do with Hunter well he told me its nothing to do with it , Ratts was told around 8.00 last night so it sure didn't take long for word to get out.
My mate said Brett is just gutted but knew what he was getting himself into , also my contact doesn't believe anyone specific is being targeted for the new Head coach role
I doubt that happened

Beveridge is an interesting one. He has deep connections with club as an ex-player, childhood supporter and via his dad who was a legendary recruiter.

I remember Beveridge interviewed with Danny Frawley when they were remembering the late Trevor Barker. Frawley was very emotional at the end and you could see there was a bond between Beveridge and the club.

I think the timing is wrong though. He’s contracted and the Bulldogs won’t let him go. But I think the Saints job would appeal to him.

Plenty at the Dogs want him gone. He's untouchable because he took them to the top of the mountain but there are some fractures at the club and he's got enemies within the playing group. Guys want out and there are some social issues that seem hard to manage. I think if you sniffed around they would probably let him walk and try to make it out that they wanted to keep him.

I just had a long chat to my mate who is very close to Ratts and he said at this point he cant tell me the reason he was sacked but said when he tells me in a week or two when things settle down he said i would laugh as its that petty.
Anyone thinking its to do with Hunter well he told me its nothing to do with it , Ratts was told around 8.00 last night so it sure didn't take long for word to get out.
My mate said Brett is just gutted but knew what he was getting himself into , also my contact doesn't believe anyone specific is being targeted for the new Head coach role
Petty .... in that we went 3 & 8 for the last half of the season with no semblance of a game plan or match day coaching nous and when we we did win games this year it wasn't off the back of a solid 4 quarter performance but a 20 min burst of manic unsystematic pressure ..... you mean that kind of petty?

My biggest critisism of the coaching was after the bye, we started with a shocker v Essendon, it was an eye opening shock after the pre bye form. The issue and greatest disappointment is that the coaches could not get the team back up at all for the rest of the season, they lose confidence and there was nothing to change the downward spiral.

Seemed to be going well when the team was up, but didn't have the ability to change the teams mentality.

The feeling with many Saints this morning seems to be 'Ratts, great fella but in 3 years we didn't see any real change to what Richo served up for 6 years'.

I know I was one of the rose coloured glass wearers as I'm always hopeful the bloke in charge is the one who will lead us to the promised land. Will no doubt do the same to the next bloke. It was disheartening to see the exact same stuff dealt up under Ratts that we saw with a different group of blokes under Cho. Surely we can find someone who can pull some Fly McRae type magic???

Whoever we get needs to be tactically switched on & able to develop a hard edge in the playing group. As you said Joffa, the current group is so mentally fragile that one loss (which I still don't know how on earth a team who have achieved exactly fk all can go into a game with such big heads that they get smashed by one of the worst teams in the comp) can totally derail a season.

I'd love to see Lyon back as he was totally fkd over by that idiot Nettlefold... but realistically I think Justin Leppitsch would be a fantastic option.

This was from 2021 but maybe some food for thought;

Scott Burns, Danny Daly, Daniel Giansiracusa, Jaymie Graham, Robert Harvey, Steven King, Nigel Lappin, Jarrad Schofield, Adem Yze

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defensive coach at Hawks during premiership years and Midfield coach at the Dees last year and was also a fill-in coach when Goodwin was sick. I believe he is pretty well rated in the coaching circles but unsure why he was overlooked for the GWS and Essendon jobs.
To be fair to Yze, he won the role vs other candidates through the "process" until Brad Scott parachuted in last minute for an interview and was appointed the same day. That felt like the fix was in from the start.

GWS a little more unclear why they pivoted to Kingsley in the end, but like Yze, Kingsley had been close to getting jobs over the years so he was due too.

I don't think either situation should be seen as a slight to Yze. The fact he finished 2nd twice suggests he's a pretty impressive candidate worthy of consideration for the opportunity.

With the terrible trade period we just had it was difficult to see where the improvement was going to come from considering we barely improved our draft hand and didn't bring in any decent established players to fill the holes.

At least, with a new coach, there is some hope of a different outcome then the road we were heading down

End up at "shit creek" instead of "middle of nowhere".

Ultimately even if the specific reason was petty (let’s pretend it’s cause he doesn’t clear the coffee pods out of the machine) it’s totally defensible because we played like shit for 12 weeks.

I feel for Ratts but honestly if you’re a head coach and missed finals and don’t think you might be getting sacked then more fool you. That old saying about every coach is waiting to get sacked is true.

Nobody has mentioned Mark Williams. Wherever he goes success seems to follow.

Port. Richmond. Melbourne.

Involved in the game. Hard bastard. Has mellowed, a bit off-beat, but is great at developing players.

Tactically astute. And would be hungry.

Most were mentioning him to be at the club with Ratten. Agree - success follows.

Look, I think many saw issues with the coaching, and the review cannot be labelled as window dressing now.

But if we hire Hird, then I'm probably done. If the club doesn't care about the welfare of the players, then I don't any more either. Save the petrol driving from an hour and a half away, the juggling of kids soccer schedules and all the other efforts to make sure I get to games.

I state unequivocally: James Hird should never work in the industry again. Anyone else and I'll talk myself into it.

I doubt Hird is even slightly in the frame. Essendon had him on their list of pretend candidates so that they could look process driven rather than approaching Scott while he was still employed at the AFL and offering him the role.

Geoff Walsh - Head of Football

Craig Bellamy - Team Manager

Justin Leppitsch - Head of Game Strategy

Well, at least it didn’t take us 6 years to read the writing on the wall as it did with Richo, and for that we should all be grateful.

We scraped into one final off the back of a shortened covid season and one Paddy Ryder.

Sorry but Ratts was a nice guy, but hardly looked inspirational in all the media we saw him do, and was probably the same with the players. Had no plan B and did not play to the strengths of his players (Battle on the wing for HOW long?) His speech at the B&F was terrible.

I‘d rather strike out again taking a risk than put up with same old, same old for another few years.

I doubt Hird is even slightly in the frame. Essendon had him on their list of pretend candidates so that they could look process driven rather than approaching Scott while he was still employed at the AFL and offering him the role.
The only issue is that they forgot sheedy (who is still very influential) pushed him hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back