Stevie J - Underated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow I disagree with 95% of this, but then again I dislike him. Maybe I focus on his bad games where he just seems to niggle and negate and rarely get anywhere with it. Going by the response on here I should give him another chance. Maybe

It could be argued certainly.

Sure he can make the simple things seem bloody hard, but damn, everything else he does...

He can be casually strolling through the midfield with that loping run he has, then just spear it forwards or sideways to a team mate he almost has no right to be able to see.

He can be very damaging in the midfield simply because it seems like nearly every kick will magically find a target (or if not, shove it out in front to the advantage of them). Unbelievable skill and vision.

Selwood is the one who usually cops the tag
What happened to all those Joel Selwood Supreme Being threads? Wasn't he the equal of Gary Ablett after he played a couple of good games earlier in the season? Do you reckon Stevie J now supplanted Selwood in the Top 5 ? It's so difficult to pick a Top 5 these days. So many good players to choose from: Stevie J, Joelie, Boris, Jimmy B, Kells, Chappy, Stevie M, Bundy, Hawk, Harry M

Ling was a freak of the highest order
Yeah, Geelong have had some freaky-looking rangas over the years, but Lingy was definitely right up there. Would you say his gut-running went to another level after 2006 ?

Full time midfielding seems to suit him well. He is playing at a consistent high level and just took the primary tag of Cornes off Selwood last week and still ran riot. Selwood getting off the leash could be a nice bonus as Johnson absorbs more and more focus from coaches.

Possibly his greatest strength as a midfielder is that he's pretty much impossible to tag, especially as players like Kelly, T.Hunt and Chapman come back into the side. Want to tag Johnson? Fine...best of luck playing one-out in the goalsquare against him.

What happened to all those Joel Selwood Supreme Being threads? Wasn't he the equal of Gary Ablett after he played a couple of good games earlier in the season? Do you reckon Stevie J now supplanted Selwood in the Top 5 ? It's so difficult to pick a Top 5 these days. So many good players to choose from: Stevie J, Joelie, Boris, Jimmy B, Kells, Chappy, Stevie M, Bundy, Hawk, Harry M

Sorry mate but I have always rated Johnson (under my old username) I have always stated he's my favourite player.
Selwood was brilliant early in the season because Johnson wasn't playing and when he did return, he was a little quiet but since his return, Selwood has had the luxury of taking a backward step as the pressure on him to do it all is not what it was in 2012 as we have Christensen, Stokes and these types all injury-free and playing great footy.

Selwood's ability to rise in a quarter or in the 2nd half is as good as any and it's that quality which sets him apart from the rest.

Yeah, Geelong have had some freaky-looking rangas over the years, but Lingy was definitely right up there. Would you say his gut-running went to another level after 2006 ?

Serious question....did you watch much footy in the early noughties?
Ling was our best midfielder and won the B&F early in his career, was an AFL rising star but then struggled to keep up with the new breed of midfielders who had speed to burn.
While he didn't have speed, he had a huge tank and ran that hard he ended up catching up with his opponents by the end of the game and then getting on top of them or nullifying their usual weekly averages.

Selwood's ability to rise in a quarter or in the 2nd half is as good as any and it's that quality which sets him apart from the rest.
In those early rounds, Selwood would play well in the 3rd quarter and people would say that he "carried the team on his shoulders and lifted them to victory"

Pure hype.

It doesn't surprise me that Geelong have been able to keep winning over the past 6 rounds with a fairly mediocre contribution from their captain. If Geelong really did need Selwood to carry the team on his shoulders, they would be down the bottom with Melbourne and GWS.

I'm sure you'll bump the Selwood Supreme Being thread next time Selwood plays a good game just to show me how wrong I was for rating him as the 10th-12th best player in the AFL and not in my Top 5.

Serious question....did you watch much footy in the early noughties? Ling was our best midfielder
I agree. Like most people, I had him pegged as another Geelong hack, but I remember watching a Geelong vs Melbourne game at the G in 2003 or 2004 and having the shock realisation that Lingy was actually alright. He was bigger than every other midfielder and he never stopped running. I watch lots of footy. Not just Hawthorn games.

My favourite Lingy highlight from those early days was at Etihad Stadium (versus Essendon??) when he missed that kick at goal from one metre out and somehow kicked an inside-out-reverse-torpedo back over his head.... Speciallllll.... Can you put that one up on your youtube channel? :D

Yes of course he did because all the drugs that Robinson and Dank fed him. :rolleyes:

I trust this is what you were hoping to hear. Save you the trouble of not so subtly implying it further.

Yes of course he did because all the drugs that Robinson and Dank fed him. :rolleyes:

I trust this is what you were hoping to hear. Save you the trouble of not so subtly implying it further.
Take it to the ASADA/Drug board, mate :thumbsdown:

I was asking Footscore whether he thought Lingy was an underrated lynchpin of the Geelong dynasty from 2007-2011

I still prefer him in the forward line. Great midfielder but with a defence as good as the cats, surely he would be alot more potent up forward and having one of their versatile players running in the mids (maybe Stokes or Caddy) and they could pile on another 3-4 goals consistently.

I prefer him in the midfield. It forces him to cut some of the Hollywood crap and he is obviously an excellent user of the ball. Cats have small forwards coming out of their clackers, your in a pretty good place when blokes of SJ's quality are getting forced out of the forward line :eek:

It's been said before, but it's incredible to think Geelong were all-set to trade Stevie J at the end of 2006. Collingwood, Essendon and Port were all interested, but Johnson failed a medical test because of his dodgy ankles and the Cats were stuck with him.

I reckon most people in the football world didn't bat an eyelid and probably wondered what all the fuss about

Opinion was certainly divided amongst Cats fans in October 2006

IF WE TRADE STEVE JOHNSON THEN I'M GOING TO DECLARE JIHAD ON THE CLUB.

SJ for Paul Hudson.

Fingers crossed we sent SJ packing. Lazy bastard.

If we trade him for Medhurst I will be absolutely livid.... On the other hand, if we trade him for a top 20 pick, I will be happy.

i am not keen to trade Johnson unless it helps us get bradshaw somehow

If we can get anything at or better than a late first rounder or early second rounder for him, then i commend the footy club for going through with it if they do. Steve Johnson is a game breaker. He just doesn't do it consistently enough. His negatives far outweigh his positives.

The only way that I could see an SJ trade improving Geelong's 2007 team is if it involved a forward line player that could make an impact the same or more than SJ. Medhurst won't do it... A top 20 draft pick won't do it... Tarrant? One inconsistent flanker with attitude problems for another...

The only reason I can see that Geelong would trade SJ is if it led to Bradshaw. I would personally prefer if he stayed, as I think he has something to offer us over the next 5-7 years, and has improvement left in him as a 23 year old.

At this point in time we just can't afford to lose a goal kicker like Dog. He's one of the few in the forward line that isn't scared to have a shot. I actually think he is a decent player and well worth hanging on to. If we lose him, we lose another key part of our already crap forward line and I shudder to think of who we are going to rely on to kick our goals

I kinda like SJ, but are there many types of his calibre/work ethic on FLAG WINNING TEAMS?

*waits to be told otherwise...*

He needs more than a kick up the backside. He needs two new ankles because he will not get through a full pre-season, a full season and he can't train each week.

What is the point in getting him for about half the season where he'll put in one or two decent performances while going walkabouts for the remaining games?

These quotes are not to embarrass anyone, but just to highlight the remarkable transformation between Stevie J '06 and Stevie J '07

Probably the greatest failed trade in AFL history

Stevie J has never been underrated , personally in my opinion he is the most naturally talented football currently in the AFL . . . Yes Ablett an Watson are better and maybe afew others but Stevie J can do anything and it seems his potential is limitless . . .

James Kelly or Joel Corey is underrated at Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In those early rounds, Selwood would play well in the 3rd quarter and people would say that he "carried the team on his shoulders and lifted them to victory"

Pure hype.

It doesn't surprise me that Geelong have been able to keep winning over the past 6 rounds with a fairly mediocre contribution from their captain. If Geelong really did need Selwood to carry the team on his shoulders, they would be down the bottom with Melbourne and GWS.
sheldonstoplistening.png

He is not underrated generally... but I think plenty of people don't rate/consider him (including me until recently) as a midfielder. Our midfield has been very light at times this year, which has forced him there and from what I've seen, he is a 30+ possession highly effective midfielder.

Pure hype.

he's averaging 23 disposals (11 contested), 4½ clearances, 4 inside 50's, 5½ tackles, 1 goal, 1½ goal assists per game and currently running at 76½ percent disposal efficiency, which is the 2nd highest in the league out of all the known midfielders.

Not sure that is classified as hype mate but no doubt he has improvement left in him this season, which is good to know from a Geelong supporters perspective.

The actual quote is "if you don't mind, I'd like to stop listening to you and start talking"

So feel free to "start talking" and contribute something to these boards, JUBJUB. I realise this will be a hard habit for you to break after 13 years of potting people from the sidelines, but I promise I won't I won't laugh at you if you offer us some of your opinions :thumbsu:

Perhaps stick to the topic yourself eh? It's a Stevie J thread not mediocre Selwood or Ranga Ling thread....

It's been said before, but it's incredible to think Geelong were all-set to trade Stevie J at the end of 2006. Collingwood, Essendon and Port were all interested, but Johnson failed a medical test because of his dodgy ankles and the Cats were stuck with him.

I reckon most people in the football world didn't bat an eyelid and probably wondered what all the fuss about

These quotes are not to embarrass anyone, but just to highlight the remarkable transformation between Stevie J '06 and Stevie J '07

Probably the greatest failed trade in AFL history

The real transformation was when he was suspended by the club for the first 5 weeks for being a drunken dimwit while supposedly recovering from surgery and getting himself arrested for it. He came back in top condition for that 157 point pounding of Richmond, and he's barely put a foot wrong since (except that foot he put on the pedal too hard at the golf course in his XR6 the following year).

he's averaging 23 disposals (11 contested), 4½ clearances, 4 inside 50's, 5½ tackles, 1 goal, 1½ goal assists per game
No argument from me that Selwood is a gun. Our difference of opinion is that you rate him as one of the best 2-3 midfielders whereas I think he has the potential to be that, but on the actual output, I'd place him in the next group of 6-7 quality mids.

currently running at 76½ percent disposal efficiency, which is the 2nd highest in the league out of all the known midfielders.
Selwood currently ranks 29th in the AFL for effective disposals, 25th for contested possessions, 28th for clearances, 22nd for centre square clearances and 14th for tackles

Not sure that is classified as hype
No, not at all. Those are the sort of stats which you'd expect from a good midfielder. I was quite specific about the "hype" - all that crap people said about Selwood "carrying his team to victory"

Geelong are an excellent team who receive a good contributions from everyone in their 22
They are probably the most even team in the AFL - good quality right through their lineup.

No argument from me that Selwood is a gun. Our difference of opinion is that you rate him as one of the best 2-3 midfielders whereas I think he has the potential to be that, but on the actual output, I'd place him in the next group of 6-7 quality mids.

Selwood currently ranks 29th in the AFL for effective disposals, 25th for contested possessions, 28th for clearances, 22nd for centre square clearances and 14th for tackles

No, not at all. Those are the sort of stats which you'd expect from a good midfielder. I was quite specific about the "hype" - all that crap people said about Selwood "carrying his team to victory"

Geelong are an excellent team who receive a good contributions from everyone in their 22
They are probably the most even team in the AFL - good quality right through their lineup.
Everytime I read a post of yours, Chewy, I am interested until I get to the bottom and read that crap mesaage about Dean Robinson & Geelong. Isn't it time to get rid of that? It really undermines anything you say, in my humble and honest opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stevie J - Underated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back