Stevie J - Underated?

Remove this Banner Ad

What happened to all those Joel Selwood Supreme Being threads? Wasn't he the equal of Gary Ablett after he played a couple of good games earlier in the season? Do you reckon Stevie J now supplanted Selwood in the Top 5 ? It's so difficult to pick a Top 5 these days. So many good players to choose from: Stevie J, Joelie, Boris, Jimmy B, Kells, Chappy, Stevie M, Bundy, Hawk, Harry M

Yeah, Geelong have had some freaky-looking rangas over the years, but Lingy was definitely right up there. Would you say his gut-running went to another level after 2006 ?
lololololl
SO jaded, I love it!

It's been said before, but it's incredible to think Geelong were all-set to trade Stevie J at the end of 2006. Collingwood, Essendon and Port were all interested, but Johnson failed a medical test because of his dodgy ankles and the Cats were stuck with him.

I reckon most people in the football world didn't bat an eyelid and probably wondered what all the fuss about

Opinion was certainly divided amongst Cats fans in October 2006

The only reason I can see that Geelong would trade SJ is if it led to Bradshaw. I would personally prefer if he stayed, as I think he has something to offer us over the next 5-7 years, and has improvement left in him as a 23 year old.

I wouldn't often thank Chewy for quoting my posts, but this quote of mine from 2006 makes me feel OK about my football knowledge ;)

What happened to all those Joel Selwood Supreme Being threads? Wasn't he the equal of Gary Ablett after he played a couple of good games earlier in the season? Do you reckon Stevie J now supplanted Selwood in the Top 5 ? It's so difficult to pick a Top 5 these days. So many good players to choose from: Stevie J, Joelie, Boris, Jimmy B, Kells, Chappy, Stevie M, Bundy, Hawk, Harry M

Yeah, Geelong have had some freaky-looking rangas over the years, but Lingy was definitely right up there. Would you say his gut-running went to another level after 2006 ?

Luckily against the Hawks he only ever had to man up on the plodders Mitchell and Hodge. Just a shame Geelong never had two Lings, one for each because whichever one he played on never used to get a touch.

I probably underrate him, or criticize him too much for his occasional "flippant use of the ball" (I like that term, I've heard Luke Ball use it a couple of times). I have this horrible memory of his game in the 2008 GF....maybe one day I'll watch it & see if his game was as bad as I thought it was at the ground, for the amount of possessions he got. But that was a while ago now. Perhaps having watched Gary Snr & Jnr, & Garry Hocking (underrated skills-wise), I might get a bit blase about how skilled & creative Johnson is.

But probably more so than any other Cat when he's missing from the big games you feel that our chances take a serious hit. And to think I feel like Daniel Menzel was like Stevie J without any of the crap bits....what a player he could have been, or hopefully will be.

Good word, flippant /Robbo
Argh don't tell me Robbo uses that word. Fortunately I'm not Foxtel-enabled so I don't get to see the great man's work most of the time. I use it in the context that the man with the footy in his hands also carries the destiny of the club. So don't try an over the shoulder look-away handball under pressure unless you're sure it'll come off. :)

Argh don't tell me Robbo uses that word. Fortunately I'm not Foxtel-enabled so I don't get to see the great man's work most of the time. I use it in the context that the man with the footy in his hands also carries the destiny of the club. So don't try an over the shoulder look-away handball under pressure unless you're sure it'll come off. :)

Robbo just gets fixated on words the Gerard Whateley uses. Every episode of AFL360 Whateley will say something and Robbo will chip in with - "[word Whateley said], good word that."

He then looks dreamily into the stars for a few minutes like a girl who has just had her first kiss.

Robbo just gets fixated on words the Gerard Whateley uses. Every episode of AFL360 Whateley will say something and Robbo will chip in with - "[word Whateley said], good word that."

He then looks dreamily into the stars for a few minutes like a girl who has just had her first kiss.

The Chief Football Writer of the Herald Sun :D

Incongruous... Mmmmmmm...

Egregious.... Ooooooooooohhh...

Possibly his greatest strength as a midfielder is that he's pretty much impossible to tag, especially as players like Kelly, T.Hunt and Chapman come back into the side. Want to tag Johnson? Fine...best of luck playing one-out in the goalsquare against him.

Yep, him and Jobe are very similar in that regard. So hard to tag because they will take their tagger to the goalsquare and beat them as natural forwards. Going back and forth from midfield to forward line (and timing it well) can make 'handing a player over' a tough gig for the opposition.

Yep, him and Jobe are very similar in that regard. So hard to tag because they will take their tagger to the goalsquare and beat them as natural forwards. Going back and forth from midfield to forward line (and timing it well) can make 'handing a player over' a tough gig for the opposition.

I'm hoping it can become even more pronounced when Chapman returns, as they should probably be rotated between the midfield and forward line (though I'd suggest it should be 80/20 Johnson in the middle).

Media love him way too much for him to be underrated

Heard on Triple M on the weekend: "Oh Stevie J's made a mistake! He hasn't made one for 10 years!"

dafuq?

I still prefer him in the forward line. Great midfielder but with a defence as good as the cats, surely he would be alot more potent up forward and having one of their versatile players running in the mids (maybe Stokes or Caddy) and they could pile on another 3-4 goals consistently.

No, his best value is in the middle. In truth - and naturally no one has picked up on this - he has lost a lot of penetration in his kicking. Even from 40m out he's only 50/50 now. That's why he likes to snap around the corner from just about everywhere.

He's evolved remarkably as a player, and from now on in unquestionably a midfielder only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield is pretty average and would be terrible without SJ.

Caddy is shit and not in our best 22 so not sure why he is being named.

Johnson has gone past Selwood, for mine. Been a huge critic of his in the past but he is now an elite midfielder and think he'll be top 10 in the league by the end of the season.

Massive Statement right there

imagine the bloke in Melbourne's forward line, creaming material for a Melbourne fan, exactly what they lack, class, composure and skill...

When Stevie J withdrew from the Collingwood game there alone went 4 goals to Geelong! Stevie J is possibly the most creative player in the League. His value to Geelong is not only in kicking goals, but how many does he create? If he's picking up 30 possessions then you have to work out what is the end result? I'd say it ends up in the positive a helluva lot. I thinks he's rated well enough and opposition coaches fear him, they know what's going on with Stevie J, it's being able to do something about him is the real problem!

Remove this Banner Ad

Stevie J - Underated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back