Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

17JUL 24: Swans Daily Media New

Here for the Florent, Gulden and Blakey call-outs. They've been doing my head in lately, as good as they all are.
I think Gulden and Blakey can flick the switch to a slightly more conservative (or perhaps just a higher level of concentration?) approach but I have my concerns with Ollie. Outside D50 I think he's terrific but closer to home he makes some odd decisions.

Here for the Florent, Gulden and Blakey call-outs. They've been doing my head in lately, as good as they all are.
It is always going to be part and parcel of the game when you play like Gulden and Blakey do - some weeks more 'high risk high rewards' plays will come off, some weeks they wont. As absolutely sensational as Gulden is as a player, sometimes he does make the wrong call, or is slightly off. But you will take that given how often he gets it right. Similar with Blakey - although on other matters I'm so happy to see how much his judgment is improving about when to mark and when to spoil. He really is becoming a very dependable defender to go with his obvious attacking talents off the half back line. Has taken a lot of important defensive marks over the past 6 weeks or so.

It is always going to be part and parcel of the game when you play like Gulden and Blakey do - some weeks more 'high risk high rewards' plays will come off, some weeks they wont. As absolutely sensational as Gulden is as a player, sometimes he does make the wrong call, or is slightly off. But you will take that given how often he gets it right. Similar with Blakey - although on other matters I'm so happy to see how much his judgment is improving about when to mark and when to spoil. He really is becoming a very dependable defender to go with his obvious attacking talents off the half back line. Has taken a lot of important defensive marks over the past 6 weeks or so.
I think you're probably right, and it does seem to be the consensus view. However I personally see it a little differently. I think even the best players can improve, and for the likes of Gulden and Blakey (as well as Warner etc.), I think they have a lot to work on. But I'll save that rant for another time, lest my head get bitten off :p

I think you're probably right, and it does seem to be the consensus view. However I personally see it a little differently. I think even the best players can improve, and for the likes of Gulden and Blakey (as well as Warner etc.), I think they have a lot to work on. But I'll save that rant for another time, lest my head get bitten off :p
Oh I agree they can definitely improve - I think there is still substantial growth to come in Gulden's game in particular. Blakey is getting more towards his peak, but as I said, been really impressed with his improvement in the pure defensive elements of his game this year.

As for Warner - I think it is clear that decision making is his biggest challenge. Bloke is a star, but just needs to improve when he judges is the right time for the hero play, and when is the right time for the first option/easy play. It is clear it is a current focus (was much better against North then he was over the previous fortnight), but a work in progress. I certainly don't want to see that take away from how he plays his game, but to be the absolute superstar his talent gives him the basis to be, it is a clear part of the game where he can improve.

It's timely for Mills to come into the team. If anyone can help us reduce (the on-field risk of) opposition scoring from defensive turnovers, Mills can.

Not only does Mills help to bolster and marshal our midfield/defences, but he brings in a wealth of experience gleaned from a box seat view of our game style with running commentary from the coach, to allow him to analyse and understand both the strengths and weaknesses of our game style. Mills can see patterns as they emerge and make subtle changes in-game by communicating directly to our players on the field. I hope the strong result against North was more to do with how well we played than with how poorly North played. Brisbane will the real litmus test.

Just in regards to Florent and Blakey, I wonder how much extra pressure has been carried by these two while Harry has been out. Cunningham's speed allows him to get across and provide extra assistance/coverage. Like Florent, Cunningham sweeps through defensive 50, getting to ground level contests and helping to clear the ball out of dangerous areas.

Where we have been exposed by defensive turnovers we've generally been able to counter that with forward half pressure and/or taking our chances. Statistically the Bulldogs were arguably our toughest opponent this year, as they exposed and exploited many of our weaknesses. But they let themselves down through poor goal kicking, while we kicked straight and made the most of our opportunities in front of goal

Last edited:
On a side note, regarding the media. It constantly amazes me how non-Swans fans and the media can be so blissfully unaware of our defenders, outside of a few media darlings, like Blakey, Rampe, Barry, Tadgh, Aliir and perhaps Dunkley - known for the regicide of King Carey. Our less publicised defenders were only too well known by the players they humiliated regularly, players who knew their abilities and respected them. Ask any of Nick Smith's contemporary small-forwards what he was like to play against. How many times did Super Ted or Reg Grundy make star forwards look ordinary. Tommy Mac gets the job done week in week out without media plaudits. Melican does his role without fuss. Only the club and fans know and appreciate just how hard his journey has been.

Our defence is critical to playing our high risk/high reward style of fast attacking footy. Players can attack knowing the defence will do their roles as needed, keeping their shape and working back hard on turnover to limit the risk of opposition scoring.

On a side note, regarding the media. It constantly amazes me how non-Swans fans and the media can be so blissfully unaware of our defenders, outside of a few media darlings, like Blakey, Rampe, Barry, Tadgh, Aliir and perhaps Dunkley - known for the regicide of King Carey. Our less publicised defenders were only too well known by the players they humiliated regularly, players who knew their abilities and respected them. Ask any of Nick Smith's contemporary small-forwards what he was like to play against. How many times did Super Ted or Reg Grundy make star forwards look ordinary. Tommy Mac gets the job done week in week out without media plaudits. Melican does his role without fuss. Only the club and fans know and appreciate just how hard his journey has been.

Our defence is critical to playing our high risk/high reward style of fast attacking footy. Players can attack knowing the defence will do their roles as needed, keeping their shape and working back hard on turnover to limit the risk of opposition scoring.
Trust me when I say this RD... you do NOT want to get me started!

Cyril still wakes up in a cold sweat every so often, worried he is in Nick Smith's pocket again. Was great to hear from Nick the other day at the ground on the big screen - what a champ!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

18JUL24: Swans Daily Media New
The day Chad left his boots at home and started a sensation. This is actually a really interesting article, talks about how players can't wear certain boots now and can be fined for it. The deals clubs & players have, what can be written into contracts etc.

Hodgy hypothesis - a Swans vs Cats GF - trigger warning!

Last edited:

To be fair I would struggle to name more than a couple of defenders in each of the other teams. Their work, by definition, isn't glamourous and therefore doesn't get the attention. But I'm sure they're fine with it - it's their role after all

Frist Crack: Brisbane v Swans discussion

Talking absolute sh.t he is.
Their last 6 wins are against teams who currently sit 8th (Melb) or below on the ladder.
Before that they lost to Hawks, smashed by Giants, drew with Crows, smashed by Cats, lost to Blues, Pies & Freo.

They will be tough to beat but they are no current bench mark

Talking absolute sh.t he is.
Their last 6 wins are against teams who currently sit 8th (Melb) or below on the ladder.
Before that they lost to Hawks, smashed by Giants, drew with Crows, smashed by Cats, lost to Blues, Pies & Freo.

They will be tough to beat but they are no current bench mark
Although a fortnight ago we lost to the Saints so if we are the benchmark it will be an even game

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back