Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe coaching is really good to get us to GF! Its over estimation of list and players thats the problem

See this I can accept but what I can’t is the refusal to address the thing that goes wrong all the time and to pretend it’s ok.

There’s no hindsight in this - people have been asking me for weeks how I thought we’d go and for weeks I’ve said I’m less confident in this team than any other team we’ve had in last 5 years. I thought last year we were a better chance of beating Carlton then Melbourne than winning it all this year.

There had just been too many times where we simply couldn’t win the ball, couldn’t defend and couldn’t stop it from bouncing out of the forward line. It’s been like this for weeks.

It’s the refusal to do anything about this for weeks that’s angered me about horse, he’s so stubborn that we trust the process that he’s just not adjusting to what is an obvious and repeated flaw.

Everyone deserves to be whoever they want. Be angry. Be emotional. Be disappointed. Be pessimistic. Be optimistic. Be whatever the **** you want. It sucks. It could be worse. Next year could be great. Right now for me it sucks.

Despondent.

It is telling that even if we have a perfect season and get to the GF, I will be fully expecting to be done by 10 goals.

Mentally shot by this team

The forwards will rightfully cop a lot of flak, but the supply was absolutely dreadful. We kept kicking the ball directly to their opponents. Do we need more from them next year? Absolutely. But we also need our midfield to have more composure when the game isn't on our terms.

That considered, if Warner and Gulden get anywhere near as much time on the inside next year as they got this year, I'll be sick. We cannot keep expecting Rowbottom to do all the heavy in and under lifting. Hopefully Sheldrick and/or Cleary are good to go.

Honestly, there’s a dozen PhDs in this. People saying we are mentally weak. I’d say you can’t repeatedly make AFL grand finals if you’re mentally weak.

And yet whenever we get there, we fall to bits. I just don’t understand.
Could be just as simple as we've been the second best team in it the last few? 🤷‍♂️

Except for 2016. We all know what happened there.

Wasn't confident going into this one tbh. Our KPFs Vs their defense? In the end it wasn't a factor. We didn't get near the ball and when we did they'd figured us out. Coaching staff were soundly done as much as the players.

You guys are a terrific club. What Rampe said was correct, you keep putting yourself in a position to win them, today wasn't your day, but you guys keep getting to the pointy end year on year.
It won't feel like it now, but that is something to be proud about

Remember when buddy was apparently holding them back?
Think Logan gets a pass for having a done ankle but we need to either turn Amartey into a third tall that is undersized and a good mark or an absolute physical beast that is also massive in front of goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gutted about that, really am.

But we will load up and try to go again.

We have a good list for the future, not exactly going to drop away heavily.

This one hurts, it really does. But we have everything there to get us to that stage unlike so many other clubs.
I love your glass half full mate. Hard to find that currently.

Could be just as simple as we've been the second best team in it the last few? 🤷‍♂️

Except for 2016. We all know what happened there.

Wasn't confident going into this one tbh. Our KPFs Vs their defense? In the end it wasn't a factor. We didn't get near the ball and when we did they'd figured us out. Coaching staff were soundly done as much as the players.
Yeah we shouldn't have lost today, but you cannot dispute the quality of this Lions team. Do they have a weakness? I'm not convinced they do. When you consider they've got Coleman, Doedee, McCarthy, McInerney and the younger Ashcroft to add to their team, a dynasty is there for the taking for them. Full credit to them since Fagan took over as coach. Their list management has been spectacular and they deserve this flag.

I think we were the best team across the majority of this year, but I'd 100% agree that today's Lions team was stronger than ours on paper.

Last edited:
Even if you said yep Lions best team, which they are now they completed the objective of the year,

How can we just be so abysmally uncompetitive again . If we played like 14,22,24 in a normal game we wouldnt make it to the granny

Just felt like we never embraced the grind. Even in the 1st quarter, we seemed to be applying little pressure, very open and trying risky kicks. As though we were going to beat them with our ball movement and run.

Our forward line had 3 talls, plus Parker and Fox. With hindsight maybe we needed some small half forwards who can run, pressure and swamp the midfield. Like adding Cleary, Adams and Campbell to the forward line.

We got out-coached and out-played today.

Noteworthy that the young Lions players that tore the game up were all 1st round picks.

We cannot afford to burn any more 1st rounders.

And Horse needs to be moved on. Picking McDonald after the Reid debacle is unforgivable. 4GFs, 4 chokes. It’s time for change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back