Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the most pointless 7mins of a press conference i have ever seen.

We should of brought more pressure around the ball.. is basically it.
Shame my 15,000 Bigfooty post is this...I was hoping another narrative.

Clear Gameplan A, win the ball at the coalface then the rest will follow - all footy is based on this FFS. Horse seems to not budge into an alternative plan (or doesn't until the game is dead in the water).

Why is it this presser makes me think Horse will pat the players on the back in the rooms and say "there there, you at least made the GF". Gives them all a participation medal.

Last edited:

In 2012 Hawthorn were the better team - on paper, based on the season. We beat them because Longmire instilled in them the mindset of being the rabid hunters. (And yes, maybe we had a bit of luck too. In close games there’s always a bit of luck.)

That he was able to win the one we probably shouldn’t have makes the next four all the more galling. It’s as if the team goes in expecting to be hunted, rather than with the mindset of the hunter, but then has no defences when it transpires.

I’ve realised that the loss to the Dogs in 2016 now rates as the highlight of a decade of grand finals. That is a depressing thought.
I don't blame Longmire for any of our losses, including today, but in 2012 Hawthorn was all over us for 90% of that game.

If they had taken a third of their opportunities then we would have lost easily.

Yep. We could be undefeated halfway through the season next year and I doubt there will be too many Swans fans getting excited. It would be pointless to get excited.
I feel like we have similarities to Port Adelaide in terms of expectation vs reality and form in a H&A season including dominance. Difference between us and them is that we make Grand Finals and lose and Port makes Prelims and lose.

Any idea what Horse had to say?
Longmire not accepting any responsibility
Longmire stood by the call to select McDonald.
“He obviously wasn’t moving that well. We made a call at half-time,” he said. “He did everything that was required to do to try and have it 100 per cent, pulled up fine.”

Longmire conceded that the Swans were simply blown away in terms of intensity and pressure around the ball.
“Look, we’re disappointed. There’s no question about that. It’s a very difficult challenge to stand there on grand final day and win. It’s a really difficult challenge to get there. This footy club’s been pretty resilient to be able to show the ability to get back there time and time again. It’s very hard to win it if you’re not in it.

“We’d much rather get into the ring and have a swing than be standing outside looking in. Ultimately, we’ve been able to get ourselves into the position of having an opportunity, and we haven’t got it done today.”
Asked about his now 1-4 record as a coach in grand finals, Longmire said: “It’s not about me, mate. It’s about the footy club.”

I may have a copy and paste error.

Asked about his now 1-4 record as a coach in grand finals, Longmire said: “It’s not about me, mate. It’s about the footy club.”

**** off. Longmire you are the one constant of those Grand Finals, and it is your job to get the players ready for it, and for 3 of those 4 losses the game was over by half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** off. Longmire you are the one constant of those Grand Finals, and it is your job to get the players ready for it, and for 3 of those 4 losses the game was over by half time.

He passes the buck a lot this year, or is very good at setting the narrative, around injuries, games hard to win, pressure ratings anything to deflect,

It is about him at least to a degree, if it isn't heck off then champ, you can tell he went on with the getnin the ring shit today as players repeated it

Also Horse and or the club need to realise there is a pre finals bye, teams travel better and stop chasing first place to the detriment of everything else.

I mean round 24 or whatever when the PA was celebrating the minor premiership and players handed out tshirts, who gives a stuff if the sides banged up.

Brisbane paced the year better and were ready to go.

If you finish first great, but id rather finish in form with fit players to pick from now on thanks. I mean Heeney and Mcdonald, Mills out, Paps and Jmac hurt, who knows what else.

Also I only logged back on to say Chad Warner in his presser compared to Errol, Errol looks like he just ran over the cat.

Chad is chewing , smiling, giggling, maybe just nervous but came across like he didnt give a ****, maybe thats me being an old grump.

I mean what can they say, who knows, Ill believe again next year in spite of it all.

I used to have an account in another name many moons go and took a break for a bit.

Early Sunday morning after the 2014 GF I created this account and here we are 10 years on almost to the day and we have another humiliation in a GF.

I'll admit because of the season we have had I was confident going into this game and a honourable close hard fought loss is acceptable but these aren't respectable losses they are noncompetitive thrashings.

People can talk about clearances, contested possessions, marks I50, kicking efficiency and any other metric they want to throw up,but what should be non-negotiable is effort, intensity, will and you don't continually lose GFs by 50 plus pts if you bring those.

I have no problem with people having a go at Longmire after today and previous embarrassments but don't let the players off lightly either, they are the ones tasked with performing on the big stage.

Hindsight can be a curse but our constant failings to develop a mindset/strategy to win 1st qtrs is perhaps indicative of why we constantly fail on GF day.....the inability to recognise and address clear and persistent failings.

I'll be back next year, as I'm sure pretty much all posters will be, but I can't imagine any of us will in any way be confident going into our next GF, whenever that may be.

And that is a really sad indictment on the coaches and players.
Very good point. If the problem is the coach, then there is nothing stopping the senior leaders and other players from tacking a different mental tack in GF week and still come out firing. Accountability must be shared by everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back