Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sensing a huge amount of apathy for next year from myself.

I will still support the team but expectation of getting a premiership is low even if we smash it in the H and A

Agree and I’m not sure I’d be attending a GF - it’s too distressing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Other than the usual 'sack the coach' idea, what is the actual solution to why we always capitulate under pressure?

I don't get it.

Did Longmire tell Gulden to not compete today?

It is a clearance issue.

Longmire does not value the clearances, he is happy to let the opposition win it and Sydney will win it back on turnover. The problem is in the 2014, 2022 and 2024 Grand Finals we have been smashed in the clearances, giving the opposition such easy ball that they don't turn it over (plus they made the Grand Final, so they likely turn it over less than the average side anyway) meaning we are being smashed in the clearances and not getting the ball back much in turnover, meaning we are not winning the ball anywhere near as much as the opposition.

After half time did anyone else wonder what the sub was waiting for ?

Then Logan goes on, then jogs to the bench, then jogs on, then back off all before the bounce,

Unlikely we come back, but wow, if after a reset at half time and number 6 isnt sure if he is on and we almost have 23 on, what ****en chance we turn this thing around,
but nah coaching and prep and planning is fine

Other than the usual 'sack the coach' idea, what is the actual solution to why we always capitulate under pressure?

I don't get it.

Did Longmire tell Gulden to not compete today?
Horse picked Logan

Horse instructed the zone defence that got carved up

Horse coaches our stoppage players

Horse is there to get the players in the right frame of mind

And Horse is there to make shifts to stop opposition momentum when the game is getting away from us

Sure - it’s not all on the senior coach, but in professional life, you are judged on results. And 4 grand final flops is now enough (in my view) for valid judgement

Emotions are high after today - but at some point, change becomes necessary

should this group qualify again is crazy

I have almost no doubt that this will be the last grand final for more than 15 of them.

Shame they couldn't be bothered to turn up.

After half time did anyone else wonder what the sub was waiting for ?

Then Logan goes on, then jogs to the bench, then jogs on, then back off all before the bounce,

Unlikely we come back, but wow, if after a reset at half time and number 6 isnt sure if he is on and we almost have 23 on, what ****en chance we turn this thing around,
but nah coaching and prep and planning is fine

There is no coming back in a GF when your almost 50 down at HT heck i would of enjoyed giving Brisbane SOME sort of doubt even Carlton were more competitive after being 65-0.

You just never know when you put your opponenet under pressure.

Ill take a 2012 and heck even 2016 effort , at least they tried, well won 2012 too, 06 they fought too,

Its the not "trying"
But I don't agree they weren't trying. They absolutely were, but they were just comprehensively outplayed, across the park, for most of four quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing Horse emphasised when Adam Spencer mentioned the 75,000+ membership record was "please sign up next year". Nothing, for example, about giving the flag a red hot crack in 2025.

Are you pulling my middle leg Horse?

I effing hate Adam Spencer as the MC. He’s such a pc dude. What they actually need tonight is Ricky Gervais to tell them some effing home truths.

We have playe four grand finals since 2014. They are I think amongst the three grand finals which have been the least competitive in that decade with our cross town buddies and Adelaide doing a good job to make it look like it’s not just us.

But we really do a fantastic job of screwing up

That was because the defenders were in a zone and you could see it unfold, rampe was spare but forard Melican And Mccartin running ahead, Lloyd had to leave a man to run and make that contest at all.

For the dont blame the coach comments you see, what the **** was the defensive zone shit

You'd think that our KPD's would be worried about the opposition KPF.

Just heard Horse and Ramps speeches at the GF dinner.

I have to say that I am disappointed with the messaging. No apologies to the members / fanbase for an absolute no-show, no words of real encouragement for 2025, just platitudes + congrats to the Lions.

To me at least, there was a lack of self awareness and remorse. I get that it's all a bit raw ATM but I was expecting more.

Not happy.
As referenced above, in 1983 Essendon lost the GF to Hawthorn by 83 points.

At a similar function after the game Kevin Sheedy spoke;
‘If I see anybody in this room with a smile on their face, I’ll throw you out’. There was silence, and he just went on. He gave all of us the biggest serve ever about how we’d let ourselves down.”

Later Sheedy commentating on the speech stated “It burnt a hole in their hearts and their minds,”

Sheedy then called all the players in on the Monday and as recalled by Tim Watson “He made us watch the whole Grand Final again and he would pause, and rewind, then fast-forward. It went for a long, long time.”

Essendon won the next 2 GFs, both against Hawthorn, and in 1985 won by 78 points.

As TasSixer asks above;
When did the club become okay with just making the grand final?

That was because the defenders were in a zone and you could see it unfold, rampe was spare but forard Melican And Mccartin running ahead, Lloyd had to leave a man to run and make that contest at all.

For the dont blame the coach comments you see, what the **** was the defensive zone shit
I'm no master strategist but maybe they'd have been better just going man on man from the word go. Lions had a far tougher road to get there and probably would have run out of juice quicker. Instead, they just carved up that zone nonsense and we never seemed to try anything different.

Though they did 1 recently, maybe with a stronger board and some lessons learned he may be better a second time around. Besides i could live with another title and some years in the wilderness.

Oh and Pridham has to go, no Chair should every say the coach has a job as long as he wants it. Idiotic. They are right when they say the fish rots from the head!
Did he say that? That was like what the Qantas Chairman said about Joyce…

Maybe he knows Longmire only wants the job until his current contract is up. He still shouldn’t say it publicly. It breeds poor accountability in the culture and makes it harder for others to challenge the coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back