Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Kinda a would you rather scenario:

Would you rather be a perrenial contender and not get Premiership or would you rather be in the wilderness for 5-10 years and nab one or two post rebuild.
You hope it's 5-10 years

Suns have never made it to Finals

Bombers have players who weren't alive the last time they won a finals game.

Carlton haven't competed since the 90s

I'd rather be perennial pretenders

Lets just be happy that it wasn't the Dogs or Collingwood winning. It was a shocker, the whole midfield was putrid.

Our issues this year were magnified 10 times, poor starts have been there all season long

Lets just be happy that it wasn't the Dogs or Collingwood winning. It was a shocker, the whole midfield was putrid.

Our issues this year were magnified 10 times, poor starts have been there all season long
We kicked 3 goals in the first quarter. Then just 2 in the next two.

So not sure our start was a problem..more the middle.

And somehow we managed to beat more teams than anyone else (and more top 8 teams, IIRC), managed to grind down GWS in the first final with relentless determination, and managed to deliver a clinical demolition of Port Adelaide, who had annihilated us only weeks before and who we hadn't beaten for 8 years.

We are not mentally strong enough in grand finals. That is a very specific and peculiar problem, and no-one at this point knows the solution. It's verging on a pathology now. But we are not mentally weak per se. We are almost always a very formidable opponent, and have been for a long time now.
It's an indictment on the other 16 teams really .

The 2 goals were crumbing arse and against the flow imo.

At the time the positive to me was ok we are playing shit and still in front that's a good sign 😂

You hope it's 5-10 years

One mustn’t forget that the Lions won this flag because they became a basket case clubs whose players were leaving in clusters. Crisp, Yeo etc. That wasn’t all that long ago.
Their stars were top picks in drafts because they were that bad. Top up along the way & bang. A premiership.
Our blokes are all rookies & mid season pickups.
It means they were overlooked because there were too many flaws.
We’ve at least made GFs with them but they can’t get to the next step.

We were blind lucky to be in the game at quarter time, Daniher kicking like a peanut was keeping us in the game. Felt like a 20+ point margin at quarter time was only a matter of time and it happened.

I have held this in for too long can we address one thing and that is...Blakey...

Dead set I recon no player makes me pull my hair out more than this bloke? Is he dead set allergic to finding a target in first halves? I don't care how he looks running if he turns it over like no tomorrow every week.

I reckon both teams weigh about the same too, the big bodies hmm, I have seen us tackle and work when we are on top.

They are mentally *ing stronger and Fagan got them to take the game on from the first bounce and probably said I don't give a * if they get a few goals , keep running, keep pressure on and Sydney will fold, stop running and be deers in the headlights.

Don't remember brisbane sideways kicking all the time.

We bombed forward like Port did to us the week before
Bang on. Not sure how much Charlie Cameron weighs ( not much ) but when he made those two tackles in the first five minutes I knew they were on. And our boys shit themselves and started avoiding body contact not long after.

I have held this in for too long can we address one thing and that is...Blakey...

Dead set I recon no player makes me pull my hair out more than this bloke? Is he dead set allergic to finding a target in first halves? I don't care how he looks running if he turns it over like no tomorrow every week.
That what King is saying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One mustn’t forget that the Lions won this flag because they became a basket case clubs whose players were leaving in clusters. Crisp, Yeo etc. That wasn’t all that long ago.
Their stars were top picks in drafts because they were that bad. Top up along the way & bang. A premiership.
Our blokes are all rookies & mid season pickups.
It means they were overlooked because there were too many flaws.
We’ve at least made GFs with them but they can’t get to the next step.
The make up of or lists, we've got as many first round talent as the Lions. We do have more rookies but our best 22 is actually not a team of battlers anymore - which is probably our problem

You hope it's 5-10 years

I would go insane being perrenial pretenders.

Suppose it depends on what you want to achieve

To rub salt into the wound, the lady sitting next to me asked if I was an old South Melbourne supporter.
I'm 36 years old 😂
This might make you feel a bit better. I'm 34 and my partner is actually 9 months older than me. About a year ago she and I went to a radiology appointment for her.

The Xray technician or whatever you call him guy asked if I was her father... :skull:

I would go insane being perrenial pretenders.

Suppose it depends on what you want to achieve

We want premierships , I'd rather win a few flags and have a successful patch and **** off down the ladder to come back.

Not consistently celebrate making finals and not delivering- sure it's better than just being complete crap.

But in 50 years time when we are all on our death beds will we celebrate the 10 years of losing 4 grand finals ?

I’ve stayed away from all boards in the last 2 days, my mental health is all the better because of it. But then I visited my cousin yesterday , who I grew up next door to, who is dying with MND, he’s a mad swans fan, and he smiled and said ‘they’ll live to fight another day and they’ll do it eventually”. Made it seem a lot less important in the greater scheme of things.
Whilst watching the game, it was like watching a public breakdown. I don’t know what the reason is, I don’t think because they were cocky, it might’ve been the level of expectation that was overwhelming, the secret that our star players had injuries ? So many questions and I doubt we’ll get any answers (the people wanting personal letters of explanation were pretty amusing)

BUT also let’s give credit where credit is due, Brisbane really wanted it more.

I’ve also just read various people saying the bloods culture is dead. The main instigator of that “bloods culture” was Brett Kirk, yet he’s still there, he’s running onto the field all the time, so where’s it gone? if in fact did it ever exist?, was it all PR hype?unless any of us are entrenched with in the 4 walls of the club how do we know?

I’ve always defended Longmire, As the Lovely King and I have sparred on in the past, I don’t know if that’s the answer, it might be, are there too many hangers on putting their 10cents worth in causing confusion. You’ve got so many different coaches, whilst we all hope they are on the same page, there has to be difference’s of opinion, they’ve all got pretty healthy egos. Anyway I’m rambling.

The plus side, other friends went to the granny and despite the loss said it was the most enjoyable they’d attended as they didn’t feel they had to worry their public safety, such as getting out of the MCG alive, the Lions supporters were, by and large, terrific to be amongst.

I'm not looking forward to all the "hey buddy..." and "what happened on Saturday?" I am going to cop today
Already been copping it. I even had a North supporter come up to me and ask "what happened?" and "we would have done a better job".

My response was, yes anyone could have beaten Sydney on Saturday but second to that, try making finals first - then let's talk.

Already been copping it. I even had a North supporter come up to me and ask "what happened?" and "we would have done a better job".

My response was, yes anyone could have beaten Sydney on Saturday but second to that, try making finals first - then let's talk.
Should have said “try being competitive” first

I’ve stayed away from all boards in the last 2 days, my mental health is all the better because of it. But then I visited my cousin yesterday , who I grew up next door to, who is dying with MND, he’s a mad swans fan, and he smiled and said ‘they’ll live to fight another day and they’ll do it eventually”. Made it seem a lot less important in the greater scheme of things.
Whilst watching the game, it was like watching a public breakdown. I don’t know what the reason is, I don’t think because they were cocky, it might’ve been the level of expectation that was overwhelming, the secret that our star players had injuries ? So many questions and I doubt we’ll get any answers (the people wanting personal letters of explanation were pretty amusing)

BUT also let’s give credit where credit is due, Brisbane really wanted it more.

I’ve also just read various people saying the bloods culture is dead. The main instigator of that “bloods culture” was Brett Kirk, yet he’s still there, he’s running onto the field all the time, so where’s it gone? if in fact did it ever exist?, was it all PR hype?unless any of us are entrenched with in the 4 walls of the club how do we know?

I’ve always defended Longmire, As the Lovely King and I have sparred on in the past, I don’t know if that’s the answer, it might be, are there too many hangers on putting their 10cents worth in causing confusion. You’ve got so many different coaches, whilst we all hope they are on the same page, there has to be difference’s of opinion, they’ve all got pretty healthy egos. Anyway I’m rambling.

The plus side, other friends went to the granny and despite the loss said it was the most enjoyable they’d attended as they didn’t feel they had to worry their public safety, such as getting out of the MCG alive, the Lions supporters were, by and large, terrific to be amongst.
Last 2 lines are spot on , apart from 2 drunken rats infront of me they were good and there is respect

The Lions have shown themselves on bigfooty and in person at the G to be a magnificent fan base, that was before the game too.

Stings to lose but at least to see a generally classy group of people happy is something I guess.

The people from Brisbane at the airport showed how loved their club is now up there too.

This is where WFH is handy and to be honest no one in my team follows footy anyway. So I’m saved from that crap. I do feel for you though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back