Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt we have the same divine injury run next year so the clubs mantra 'we did some much right' will be shown up for what it is 'hope mining'. Let's get out of this essendon mode asap. This group have been out scored by 23 goals in the last 8 quarters of GFs. Selling hope is marketing spin. They let each other down - twice.

I doubt we have the same divine injury run next year so the clubs mantra 'we did some much right' will be shown up for what it is 'hope mining'. Let's get out of this essendon mode asap. This group have been out scored by 23 goals in the last 8 quarters of GFs. Selling hope is marketing spin. They let each other down - twice.
Brisbane did it

I must be the odd one out. I’ve moved on after a week. We have no control over how the game is played, coaching, list management. The only thing I can do and will continue to do is support the club like I have for the last 4 decades.

Half glass full but I’d rather not be back watching 26 game losing streaks, back to back to back spoons, or having high end draft picks head back home after their initial contract. I’ll have to accept someone loses in grand finals (wish it wasn’t us).

It will take a huge effort to get back to a grand final in 2025. If there is any club that can do it will be the Swans.

I must be the odd one out. I’ve moved on after a week. We have no control over how the game is played, coaching, list management. The only thing I can do and will continue to do is support the club like I have for the last 4 decades.

Half glass full but I’d rather not be back watching 26 game losing streaks, back to back to back spoons, or having high end draft picks head back home after their initial contract. I’ll have to accept someone loses in grand finals (wish it wasn’t us).

It will take a huge effort to get back to a grand final in 2025. If there is any club that can do it will be the Swans.
I'll be supporting the club obviously, but the club should never accept that someone just has to lose grand finals, pathetically in our case, and it might be us (on repeat). If it looks like they do accept it (on repeat), then there'll be plenty of us venting and analysing it on here.

Fortunately following some other sports makes it slightly easier to move on. For me I was miserable for a few days, then realised well it could be worse my cousin follows the NY Jets in the NFL.

love the response. im a glass half empty man myself

As I mentioned I'm moving into "testing" where you look for solutions and "the way forward". That does involve researching what went wrong but it needs to be objective cool analysis. Not easy to do in the swamp of emotion. Hopefully Harley can get it as right as is possible.

Fortunately following some other sports makes it slightly easier to move on. For me I was miserable for a few days, then realised well it could be worse my cousin follows the NY Jets in the NFL.
This would work for me if I wasn't an Adelaide United member for the A-League. Don't talk to me about list management...

This would work for me if I wasn't an Adelaide United member for the A-League. Don't talk to me about list management...

Wouldn’t even know don’t really follow domestic soccer/football

As I mentioned I'm moving into "testing" where you look for solutions and "the way forward". That does involve researching what went wrong but it needs to be objective cool analysis. Not easy to do in the swamp of emotion. Hopefully Harley can get it as right as is possible.

I'm into the "corporate speak is just going to p*ss me off even more" phase.

Phrases like "this doesn't define us" is red rag to a bull stuff.

Chad flogging mattresses & Heeney jumping on Petracca to sell Colgate is not doing my mood any good either.

And all the public statements around Horse being secure in the job .... hello Sack Hinkley.

I haven't moved on. If anything, the frustration has grown with every passing "lots of clubs would love to make 4 Grand Finals" type statement.

Truth is - part of me wants to see us bite the bullet and trade Chad. It'd probably be shooting ourselves in the foot, but it'd at least be SOMETHING to satisfy my need to see change as a result of the GF.

I'm into the "corporate speak is just going to p*ss me off even more" phase.

Phrases like "this doesn't define us" is red rag to a bull stuff.

Chad flogging mattresses & Heeney jumping on Petracca to sell Colgate is not doing my mood any good either.

And all the public statements around Horse being secure in the job .... hello Sack Hinkley.

I haven't moved on. If anything, the frustration has grown with every passing "lots of clubs would love to make 4 Grand Finals" type statement.

Truth is - part of me wants to see us bite the bullet and trade Chad. It'd probably be shooting ourselves in the foot, but it'd at least be SOMETHING to satisfy my need to see change as a result of the GF.
I'm at the point where I am so numb I don't feel anything at all. But Apple is trying their best to help me feel pain again, god bless their souls.:)

Last edited:

I guess it depends what hurts most as a fan, and that probably varies from individual to individual.

For me personally I think the misery of losing these grand finals is substantially worse than, say, the 2019 & 2020 seasons when we were losing most weeks.

If you're not winning the flag, the next best thing you can lay claim to as a fan is having hope. I felt more hope being 16th on the ladder in 2020 with a young, rebuilding team on the right path to something, than I do right now, with a team stacked full of talent that is now surely burdened by consecutive grand final humiliations and a coach that seemingly has no answer or solution for them.

Agree though that I will always support the club the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just the grand finals though, since 2016 under Horse we shit the bed in every final we lose with uncompetitive and uninspiring starts. It has also leaked into the regular season- Port, Dogs games especially this year , Saints game last year etc where for a half we aren't even competitive.

But just looking the first halves of losing finals since 2016 grand final we haven't passed 5 goals under horse in any of them

Sydney

Opponents

49.34. 328

Percentage of 43.

This is more than a grand final problem .

Just sometimes we manage to come back a bit and cover the cracks- eg Blues last year, but that's almost a decade of teams having us beaten by half time in finals. So people saying Horse only has a grand final problem are wrong imo, he has shown a real inability to get a side ready for finals . I also haven't even given consideration for a game like the Gws final this year where we were down by 21 and scored only 4 goals for the half.

I guess it depends what hurts most as a fan, and that probably varies from individual to individual.

For me personally I think the misery of losing these grand finals is substantially worse than, say, the 2019 & 2020 seasons when we were losing most weeks.

If you're not winning the flag, the next best thing you can lay claim to as a fan is having hope. I felt more hope being 16th on the ladder in 2020 with a young, rebuilding team on the right path to something, than I do right now, with a team stacked full of talent that is now surely burdened by consecutive grand final humiliations and a coach that seemingly has no answer or solution for them.

Agree though that I will always support the club the same.
THIS

2019 and 2020 were manageable, still enjoyable because you knew it was a (hopefully quick) rebuild. 2012 was fresher in the mind, 2016 wasn't the abject failure of other grand finals.

Now it's like, what else is there to hope for. With a team dominant for the first half of the season, with several advantages over the oppo, we still get humiliated. The younger players might improve, we might be even more dominant in H&A, but the GF wasn't about talent.

The only hope now is for evidence of some off-field changes and rectifying some of our weaknesses within the list. If that doesn't appear to happen by Round 1, then IDK.

THIS

2019 and 2020 were manageable, still enjoyable because you knew it was a (hopefully quick) rebuild. 2012 was fresher in the mind, 2016 wasn't the abject failure of other grand finals.

Now it's like, what else is there to hope for. With a team dominant for the first half of the season, with several advantages over the oppo, we still get humiliated. The younger players might improve, we might be even more dominant in H&A, but the GF wasn't about talent.

The only hope now is for evidence of some off-field changes and rectifying some of our weaknesses within the list. If that doesn't appear to happen by Round 1, then IDK.
Yeah agreed. I actually found 2019 & 2020 quite enjoyable because it took me back to the very base level of footy fandom, where you appreciate all the small wins because you're not stressed about percentage, form, winning games, making finals, etc. Every year I try to go back and rewatch a past Swans season and I've picked 2019 for this off-season. I'm excited!

But yeah I think maybe if I get the sense that we are really trying to change the vibe of the team towards hardness, team-first footy rather than just being a flashy high-scoring side, then I will maybe find a bit of hope next year. A lot will depend on the coaches in that regard.

It's not just the grand finals though, since 2016 under Horse we shit the bed in every final we lose with uncompetitive and uninspiring starts. It has also leaked into the regular season- Port, Dogs games especially this year , Saints game last year etc where for a half we aren't even competitive.

But just looking the first halves of losing finals since 2016 grand final we haven't passed 5 goals under horse in any of them

Sydney

Opponents

49.34. 328

Percentage of 43.

Just sometimes we manage to come back a bit and cover the cracks- eg Blues last year, but that's almost a decade of teams having us beaten by half time in finals. So people saying Horse only has a grand final problem are wrong imo, he has shown a real inability to get a side ready for finals . I also haven't even given consideration for a game like the Gws final this year where we were down by 21 and scored only 4 goals for the half.

Holy crap where the heck does our scoring go :/

That is Grim, rewatch the GWS game they had us on toast they missed 3 EASY goals before HT which would of put the margin closer to 50 so similar to the GF.

Sydney

Opponents

49.34. 328

Percentage of 43.

Fair enough but need to look at ALL finals, not just where we lost. For instance we were way up in the 2023 PF and just hung on. Might be looking at effect rather than cause.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back