The Review

Who will leave as a result of the review?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with the review and like all I hope šŸ¤ž good comes from it,but as we all know it should have started some time ago,my concern now is because of the lateness of it and it findings that it has put the club further behind for next seaon

I think you're giving us too much credit.

Their approach clearly changed after the fallout from the GF disaster and in particular the camp. It started off as just Maclure having a crack at them but in the end everyone in the media was taking potshots and poor old Tex was hung out to dry.

On here, it was mainly only Burton and Hass copping it, at least until Fagan's "watch the car" episode.

Their attitude last year and even more so this year, is largely responsible for the vitriol they are copping on social media.
I find it interesting that Tex has spoken out multiple times casting Pyke in a positive light. As have other senior players. Yet the leaders at the club let Tex cop an absolute barrage of BS after the GF and essentially for the next 2 years with barely a whimper of support

Like this line from an article re: Tex

"Walker said he would offer his take on the last two years if called upon."

If? What the fu** do they mean "if"? We're doing an external review and there's a chance they won't even be talking to the captain?
I think his comment was an understated way of saying "I can't wait to tee off on these blokes"

To be honest with you - THIS is part of the reason they shut up shop. They used to come in and read big footy to get a gauge of things, but somewhere along the track we became a predominantly bitch and whinge session - with the occasional gem such as you are responding to, but it became too hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I think this is why I get so frustrated in here at times. There are some very good point of views in here but they get buried in the vitriol and vindictiveness of social media keyboard warriors.

God this is too much.

Youā€™ve fought tooth and nail defending the indefensible for years, downplaying the concerns of every poster who ever said something credible and accurate - all because of your connections and personal relationships which you canā€™t separate from critical thinking.

Nobodyā€™s buying your attempts at re-writing history.

Their media response is designed around one thing. $.

They don't want people reading the Advertiser or watching Channel 7 to hear about them. They want you logging in to their Twitter or Facebook or website to hear the latest news, not traditional media formats. So they freeze those guys out as heavily as possible, for as long as possible. All that does is causes the journalists and tv shows to speculate wildly instead, they're not gonna not talk about something just because we won't comment.

It's almost trying to turn everything about the Crows into state run media propoganda. No bad news gets out, we control the narrative at all times.

To be honest with you - THIS is part of the reason they shut up shop. They used to come in and read big footy to get a gauge of things, but somewhere along the track we became a predominantly bitch and whinge session - with the occasional gem such as you are responding to, but it became too hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I think this is why I get so frustrated in here at times. There are some very good point of views in here but they get buried in the vitriol and vindictiveness of social media keyboard warriors.
Nope.

Iā€™m sorry but this post may actually have broken a fuse in my brain.

The club stopped engaging online feedback from the biggest forum relevant to their sport because of hurt feelings?

As in, they decided to completely ignore the feedback of one particular medium because they didnā€™t like how negative it was?

I hope youā€™re bare faced lying here because if what youā€™re saying is true then the people responsible for that decision should be terminated on the spot.

So Blight thinks the external review is a stupid idea.

Thoughts ??
Depends on the type of review. If it's a real one like Geelong and Richmond's which actually brings about meaningful change, it's a good idea. If it's like the "review" we had at the end of 2018, it's a complete waste of time. I'm guessing it's the latter.

In truth a little of both. I have heard some information directly from within the club that led me to this conclusion.
I'm very confident that the leaders and then consequently the playing group are very unhappy that promises made at end of 2018 were not followed through with. I believe this came to a head during the bye.

My biggest concern is that promises were made after leaders went directly to Fagan & Chapman with their concerns. Fagan and Chapman took this to those below them who made the promises. I believe F&C were made aware during the bye round this year that players were unhappy the changes and promises hadn't been implemented. It seems they chose to try and sweep that aside for a while, preferring to believe the excuses from those that made the promises.

What kind of 'promises' could these possibly be? This is very vague.

Like this line from an article re: Tex

"Walker said he would offer his take on the last two years if called upon."

If? What the fu** do they mean "if"? We're doing an external review and there's a chance they won't even be talking to the captain?

I think you're reading too much into Tex's words. He can't say "I will..." because technically right now he doesn't know who they'll be talking to. I mean obviously it would be a massive fail if they didn't talk to the (co) captain ffs, but Tex is just saying things as they are, right now. The fact that he's been careful to be correct about it doesn't mean there's some sort of chance he won't get his input.

The thing about that for me isnā€™t that they might not ask him, itā€™s that he apparently will wait to be asked

Whereā€™s the leadership in that??

He needed to say ā€œAs a captain Iā€™ll be making my views clearly known - whatā€™s happened is unacceptable on any level and Iā€™ll be doing everything I can to make sure we identify it and fix itā€

I know the review is the responsibility of the off field admin, but thatā€™s the problem - people like Tex look at that and say ā€œok then Iā€™ll wait to be askedā€ rather than showing true leadership and saying ā€œI donā€™t care whoā€™s running it, Iā€™ll speak up and be involvedā€

Get on the front foot!

I disagree. OK I suppose he could have said more positive things about wanting to make his contribution, but it's a fine line, especially with the media, if he uses just the slightest wrong form of words, he'll be throwing petrol on the fire. "Crows co-captain says club is in a hole, can't wait to unload via the review" or whatever.

I don't think we need to jump at shadows on this sort of thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rob Chapman already layed down the groundwork for not actioning on Burton and others, no matter what the review says. The whole spiel on Burton, "He's a star, but he's still learning" stuff, I'd expect they will fully back in Burton and give a yarn about how the review will allow him to continue his learning process and make him better, you don't dump good people at the first sign of trouble blah blah blah.

Roo has already gone to bat for him too. "no one is safe!" followed by thorough defending of Burton and how everyone was telling us we'd be crazy not to sign him up.

As much as I find Jenny patronising, she's got a point on this.

Bigfooty seems to be a cesspool of continuous negativity masked in "holding the club accountable" or some other bullshit. Half of the posters on here change their mind from week to week. No one really has a clue what goes on inside the club and just makes shit up. Basically, everyone in the AFC is a caricature in people's heads that probably doesn't even remotely resemble the real person and all this shit just snowballs into an ad hominem, 20/20 vision in hindsight shit fest.

As a leader you don't listen to the 10% of people who are NEVER happy. You listen to people that give you objective data, positive or negative. Now is probably the time to be chucking a stink because there is an element of objectivity in the overall premise, but posters in here are on a chucking a stink subjective merry-go-round and then say they were right when something bad happens. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Bigfooty seems to be a cesspool of continuous negativity masked in "holding the club accountable" or some other bulls**t. Half of the posters on here change their mind from week to week. No one really has a clue what goes on inside the club and just makes s**t up. Basically, everyone in the AFC is a caricature in people's heads that probably doesn't even remotely resemble the real person and all this s**t just snowballs into an ad hominem, 20/20 vision in hindsight s**t fest.

As a leader you don't listen to the 10% of people who are NEVER happy. You listen to people that give you objective data, positive or negative. Now is probably the time to be chucking a stink because there is an element of objectivity in the overall premise, but posters in here are on a chucking a stink subjective merry-go-round and then say they were right when something bad happens. A broken clock is right twice a day.
If you agree with our only successful coach regarding the mediocrity of the last 10 years, and note how long BF has been around, you might draw the conclusion that most of the critical analysis here (or negativity as some like to call it) is not only justified, but pretty much on the money.

Iā€™m a communication consultant. Amongst other things I work with organisations to help them build trusted relationships with their customers and stakeholders

Fagan did his best in that interview but he missed the point of the questions.

As Penberthy tried to point out, he thinks ā€œproviding contentā€ is the same as being transparent.

He kept saying ā€œweā€™re no different to other clubsā€, meaning weā€™re no worse. He should have said ā€œweā€™re determined to be better than other clubsā€

He kept using the term ā€œfan engagement activitiesā€. Itā€™s become a cliche and hides what should really be happening - listening to and talking with fans about what the fans believe are the issues

When they invited him to be a regular on the show like Koch is, he was more worried about how that was an attempt to boost their ratings than he was in the point of doing that, which is to front up to the fans come rain or shine. Completely clueless on that point

I recently gave some feedback to a CEO that they werenā€™t talking properly with their stakeholders. Talking on the wrong level, not listening, batting away concerns rather than taking them on board. He said to me ā€œHmm yes..so we need to improve our messaging...ā€

STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AS FECKING MESSAGING

Thatā€™s the Crows PR problem. They are living in a corporate bubble without realizing it

Iā€™ll be emailing Fagan later today outlining this and offering my services for free. Letā€™s see how he responds

Agree with everything you say mate...

But they already have Shuttleworth, and he's one of the best in the business - so I'm sure they don't (think they) need your assistance.

Shutts should be advising on whether the messaging is appropriate, including the content.

He's not there just to forward emails to the media...

Compare him to how Burtenshaw performed & it's chalk & cheese!
Burtenshaw didnā€™t initiate policy either. There should be (if there isnā€™t) a general PR philosophy for the whole Club to follow. These would (or should) have been formulated by experienced PR professionals (preferably not the ones that were advising Essendon during ASAGA). What is more likely given the shambles it has been for the past two years... is that they HAVENā€™T engaged a PR team to help us with this stuff. They need to do so ASAP.

So it got tough, and they shut up shop?

That's pissweak.

And was the time it got too tough around the time Trigg started antagonising fans over Neil Craig's last days? Or perhaps it was when we got caught cheating?

The real disconnect from the fans occurred after the 2017 GF Disaster, and the absolute cluster**** that was the 2018 pre-season - and that was all self-inflicted.

The Club has no right to play the victim, nor do those involved in it.

Iā€™m sorry but this post may actually have broken a fuse in my brain.

The club stopped engaging online feedback from the biggest forum relevant to their sport because of hurt feelings?

As in, they decided to completely ignore the feedback of one particular medium because they didnā€™t like how negative it was?

I hope youā€™re bare faced lying here because if what youā€™re saying is true then the people responsible for that decision should be terminated on the spot.
They tried to engage with people on here but it was made nigh in impossible because of the vitriol. Thatā€™s not hurt feelings, thatā€™s got no time to deal with the bullshit. I donā€™t blame them.

Not sure he's missed the point. Think he's saying exactly what you are alluding to.
In my view he's had a crack at the leadership of the club that they have allowed it to get to this point. Had they done what they should be doing as competent administrators we wouldn't be in this position.

Think he's squarely laid the blame on those we have be calling out without naming them.......and he's called them weak to boot.

If this isn't a kick to the teeth of Chapman, Fagan, Roo, Burton and Pyke I don't know what is.

Agree totally.

He's slamming them for allowing it to get the point where an external review is required - because they're incompetent.

Rob Chapman already layed down the groundwork for not actioning on Burton and others, no matter what the review says. The whole spiel on Burton, "He's a star, but he's still learning" stuff, I'd expect they will fully back in Burton and give a yarn about how the review will allow him to continue his learning process and make him better, you don't dump good people at the first sign of trouble blah blah blah.

Roo has already gone to bat for him too. "no one is safe!" followed by thorough defending of Burton and how everyone was telling us we'd be crazy not to sign him up.
I wonder what happens if a large part of the playing group think the polar opposite? And perhaps there's evidence that Burton has in fact played a part in some players decision to leave the club?

We'll never know. Still ..

Yep they've basically been dragged kicking and screaming into a review they didn't want.

1.They've delayed it as long as possible so it will be as short (shallow) as possible and prospects for recruiting new staff will be limited.

2.It's extremely ad hoc with the footballing experts who are supposed to conduct it not even nailed down 2 and a half weeks before its supposed to be finished.

3. It's post-season, when everything the reviewers are supposed to see and review happens in-season.

Still, as Adelaide fans this kind of thing is the best we can ever hope for.

Absolutely laughable that the people involved in the review haven't already been locked away and confirmed.

I bet they haven't even defined the scope, either.

The fact that this has been an ongoing discussion for the last 6 weeks (ignoring the same discussion last year!), the fact that we do not know who is doing the review, is absolutely damning, and clearly demonstrates that they were hoping to avoid it.

Bigfooty seems to be a cesspool of continuous negativity masked in "holding the club accountable" or some other bulls**t. Half of the posters on here change their mind from week to week. No one really has a clue what goes on inside the club and just makes s**t up. Basically, everyone in the AFC is a caricature in people's heads that probably doesn't even remotely resemble the real person and all this s**t just snowballs into an ad hominem, 20/20 vision in hindsight s**t fest.

There is subjective negativity and thereā€™s objective negativity. This is why we need an external review rather than the club administrators or The average BF fan, to sort through the objective markers as to why this season has gone down a very large drain. We really need to remove the emotions to hopefully get anywhere moving forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Review

Back