Toast The Rivalry has Commenced

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt it

Considering how many draft concessions GWS have and the smugness/arrogance of their players, I think they will. Getting all the top picks seemed a good idea, but soon the Camerons, Treloars, Coniglios, Shiels, will all be demanding big pay days. They will lose a few quality players and I think at least one of Cameron/Patton/Boyd.

Good page. I bet that the swans will guarantee be premiers this year and last year if weren't for those fremantle dorkers I HATE THE DOCKERS

One more thing. Did you all know we had everything in sydney until gws came, gws think they have a lot of fans in campbelltown but if you go to campbelltown you won't find gws fans in the area

Well said.

I remember in the early days when they came into the comp, that we had a thread on here where quite a few Swans supporters were discussing how they would have dual memberships so as to help the game in NSW.
A few people, including myself, showed their discontent at this & we were lambasted for questioning their loyalty to the Swans.
All this when all we were doing was posting our strong opinion on the matter on OUR VERY OWN Swans board...
Great post! I said very early on that they'd never get a minute of my time or a cent of my money. I've hated them from the second some moron at AFL headquarters announced that they'd just come up with a bit of a bright idea about a second Sydney team. They're in our town, taking some of our fan base and a large slice of our home-town potential young players. F*ck them. As for their fans, apart from the young kids, most of them are either ex-Swans fans who jumped ship (like that disgraceful woman who tossed the coin last week - how McVeigh forced himself to shake her hand is beyond me), or Aussie Rules fans who'd never jumped on board in the first place. Either way, they are beneath my contempt.

I still wish we'd gone the co-operative route with GWS rather than the manufactured "rivalry".

No matter what, i'll still cheer GWS against any team from any other state. We could have been unique, with the two NSW teams working together to dominate the comp, and grow the code in NSW. Instead we have a boring rivalry, just like Freo/WC, Crows/Port and Lions/GC. Ho hum.

If we'd taken a more constructive approach, we could have worked on beneficial trades between the two clubs, and we could have had a share in GWS riches, while they got a share of our unneeded players (White, Everitt, Spangher, Lamb etc...). If we hadn't bought into the AFL's rivalry concept, we could now be cheering on some young, high draft picks running around in Red and White, rather than losing Mumford and Lamb for nothing. I still think it was very short sighted to make life hard for GWS. Instead of growing the AFL profile in NSW with the AFL's support of GWS, we've actively tried to stop them so we hold on to "our" share.

A rivalry would have grown naturally over time. By forcing it, we've hurt GWS and in my opinion we've hurt ourselves.

So rivalry? Yep, on gameday between us and GWS.

But any other day, I'm happy to watch them and hope they smash the Vics in particular.

I still wish we'd gone the co-operative route with GWS rather than the manufactured "rivalry".

No matter what, i'll still cheer GWS against any team from any other state. We could have been unique, with the two NSW teams working together to dominate the comp, and grow the code in NSW. Instead we have a boring rivalry, just like Freo/WC, Crows/Port and Lions/GC. Ho hum.

If we'd taken a more constructive approach, we could have worked on beneficial trades between the two clubs, and we could have had a share in GWS riches, while they got a share of our unneeded players (White, Everitt, Spangher, Lamb etc...). If we hadn't bought into the AFL's rivalry concept, we could now be cheering on some young, high draft picks running around in Red and White, rather than losing Mumford and Lamb for nothing. I still think it was very short sighted to make life hard for GWS. Instead of growing the AFL profile in NSW with the AFL's support of GWS, we've actively tried to stop them so we hold on to "our" share.

A rivalry would have grown naturally over time. By forcing it, we've hurt GWS and in my opinion we've hurt ourselves.

So rivalry? Yep, on gameday between us and GWS.

But any other day, I'm happy to watch them and hope they smash the Vics in particular.

I disagree Replicant.

That would be draft tampering.
Don't forget that we were told by the AFL that even if it took 20 years, they would keep pumping money into them until they succeeded.
What were we given?

Sorry.
I can't support anything about them & we all got a taste the other night as to why.

Just sit back & watch what is still to come from them. They want us to help market them. They targeted & tried to poach our supporters at the first game between us where 98% of the crowd were Swan supporters.

Make no mistake! They are in our face.
What happens if miss finals 3 years on end & they are playing GFs, with a team that contains 5 or 8 of our ex players that they've been allowed to poach.

No matter what, i'll still cheer GWS against any team from any other state. We could have been unique, with the two NSW teams working together to dominate the comp, and grow the code in NSW. Instead we have a boring rivalry, just like Freo/WC, Crows/Port and Lions/GC. Ho hum ...

Why do you think it's manufactured? It was real from the minute they were created. They were never ever going to be our friends, they were never going to cooperate with us. I've seen no evidence to suggest otherwise and personally I think it fairyland stuff to think that they would ever have considered doing that.

Make no mistake, over the next decade they will be a greater threat to us than any Victorian club.

GWS today announced an affiliate with the Manly Warringah AFL side. Colours and name changed. Correct me if I'm wrong but that isn't Western Sydney right?

They are now ditching the area and roots that put the first 2 words in their name.

Joke of a club.

GWS today announced an affiliate with the Manly Warringah AFL side. Colours and name changed. Correct me if I'm wrong but that isn't Western Sydney right?

They are now ditching the area and roots that put the first 2 words in their name.

Joke of a club.
What! That's my local club - that's a disgrace!

Joke of a club.

Yup saw this earlier today too, looking at the reaction on Facebook it already seems to be causing a stink among those who are involved in footy in the west. The irony of this is apparently the Swans have been told to stay out of the Giants' area. I initially wanted us to go down the co-operative route with GWS but that is looking like less and less of an option now.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-03-22/welcome-to-the-manly-giants

Yup saw this earlier today too, looking at the reaction on Facebook it already seems to be causing a stink among those who are involved in footy in the west. The irony of this is apparently the Swans have been told to stay out of the Giants' area. I initially wanted us to go down the co-operative route with GWS but that is looking like less and less of an option now.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-03-22/welcome-to-the-manly-giants[/quote]
Well I'd suggest that the Swans may be reconsidering their options now. The Giants must know that this is basically spitting in the Swans face and daring them to do something about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just the Swans who would be upset about this but it is a VERY questionable move by GWS when they really need to be engaging with their local area first to establish themselves.

The Wolves said that the AFL have endorsed the deal and that the Swans were "consulted". I wonder how the Swans responded to that consultation?

No worries though, I'm sure that the AFL have now given the Swans permission to operate in GWS territory ;). Also, judging by Facebook a lot of the GWS fans are also annoyed about this and question its logic.

Swans supporters getting upset about members having duel memberships, GWS moving in on us taking everything they can with the full support of the AFL, wow didn't see this coming!

I disagree Replicant.

That would be draft tampering.
Don't forget that we were told by the AFL that even if it took 20 years, they would keep pumping money into them until they succeeded.
What were we given?

Sorry.
I can't support anything about them & we all got a taste the other night as to why.

Just sit back & watch what is still to come from them. They want us to help market them. They targeted & tried to poach our supporters at the first game between us where 98% of the crowd were Swan supporters.

Make no mistake! They are in our face.
What happens if miss finals 3 years on end & they are playing GFs, with a team that contains 5 or 8 of our ex players that they've been allowed to poach.
Being on good terms and getting decent trades for Mumford and Lamb wouldn't have been draft tampering. I'm not saying rort the system, i'm saying that if teams are willing to trade with good intentions, it generally works out better for both parties.

And they're supported by the AFL and we weren't? So what? You can't change the past, so why worry about it? Jealousy of them being funded isn't really a good reason to hate them.

If we miss finals? Mate, i've seen that before. Seen a fair bit of it. It will be disappointing, but it won't shake my support of the Swans, and i'll celebrate the rare wins until we climb back to the top. I don't expect the Swans to make finals forever, though i won't complain if we do. If we don't make finals, then you can bet i'll be cheering for a NSW team to bring the cup back. The best thing (long term) for AFL in NSW is for NSW teams to be successful. They are poaching our players now... those could have been trades if we hadn't made such a hostile environment.

Why do you think it's manufactured? It was real from the minute they were created. They were never ever going to be our friends, they were never going to cooperate with us. I've seen no evidence to suggest otherwise and personally I think it fairyland stuff to think that they would ever have considered doing that.

Make no mistake, over the next decade they will be a greater threat to us than any Victorian club.
Why? Because it was! There can't be a rivalry with a team that doesn't exist yet. When they were created, it was a blank slate. We had an option of how to proceed (no doubt the AFL pushed the rivalry angle), and we chose to be confrontational. So did they.

We've seen the result this past week. The clubs are actively trying to hurt each other both on and off field. That's be fine for two Vic clubs with established supporter bases, but in an area like NSW where we are both fighting for relevance and trying to grow the code it seems unbelievably counter-productive.

Why? Because it was! There can't be a rivalry with a team that doesn't exist yet. When they were created, it was a blank slate. We had an option of how to proceed (no doubt the AFL pushed the rivalry angle), and we chose to be confrontational. So did they.

We've seen the result this past week. The clubs are actively trying to hurt each other both on and off field. That's be fine for two Vic clubs with established supporter bases, but in an area like NSW where we are both fighting for relevance and trying to grow the code it seems unbelievably counter-productive.

Yeah lets all make a giant circle and sing Kumbaya, what is wrong with you? Mate we are fighting a war! I think you care more about the competition than our club itself. Sorta like having an inferiority complex against your NRL mates about what is the bigger comp in NSW's, I couldn't give a flying **** about any of that I care only about our club its all about the inches give them nothing.

Why? Because it was! There can't be a rivalry with a team that doesn't exist yet. When they were created, it was a blank slate. We had an option of how to proceed (no doubt the AFL pushed the rivalry angle), and we chose to be confrontational. So did they...
No, at the very instant the AFL created a club and gave it half our territory there was a rivalry. To think that we'd then work together in some kind of mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship is naive at best. We are in competition with each other, have been from the first minute and always will be.

Also, that's several times that you've stated we chose to be confrontational. How exactly did we do that? Because from where I was sitting it came from GWS deliberately trying to wind the Swans up.

gws and the Dow Jones are of a similar ilk. Once the governing body turns off the tap - both will burn.

As for the rivalry ravel. That commenced on the Demetriou decision and confirmed by the mischievous Mitchell move - a Son of a Gun. Everything else is statistics.

Go BLOODS!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast The Rivalry has Commenced

Remove this Banner Ad

Back