List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely the challenge for him. Apparently he’s 70kgs now so it’s a long way to go before he reaches the ideal weight for a ruck. Will he ever reach it? Not sure. But very high reward for the club that picks him up and is able to get him to a competitive rucking weight (if there is a club that can). GWS need him and probably can do it, which is why they’re reportedly desperate to get him.

Its a story as old as time

club takes 70kg beanpole ruck prospect

spends 4-5 years getting him up to the point he is no longer a kid playing with men

he leaves for greater opportunity because he isnt getting game time due to afforementioned kid amongst men

spends 4-5 years getting him up to the point he is no longer a kid playing with men

he leaves for greater opportunity because he isnt getting game time due to afforementioned kid amongst men
Waste of a top 10 pick imo. Especially for us.

The Nank says hi there!

Paying massive overs imo. 3 picks for one 18 year old kid untried in senior footy? That’s madness imo. Need to have some faith in our List Management team
So if the list management team do a trade of 3 picks for pick2, you’ll have faith in their decision.? Show the faith! I to would be happy to give those 3 picks for pick 2. The top of the draft is usually where the best talent is found. I’m very doubtful we’ll get a gun with our early picks. I’m reasonably confident both Callaghan and even Ward will be very good.

Sam Skinner is pretty happy at the Panthers I'm hearing (through family) getting married, planning a future in Adelaide (though marriage ceremony will be on the Tweed)

He played as a defender at the Lions and was just too skinny (no pun intended) and suffered as a result. Gippsland boy I think, has strong links back to Qld now - might work but would an Adelaide team take him first?
Understand what your saying but if he has aspirations to still play AFL then he will go wherever it takes him. As for the skinny pun its no longer applicable at 198cm and 99kg he is now a great size for kpp.

Definitely the challenge for him. Apparently he’s 70kgs now so it’s a long way to go before he reaches the ideal weight for a ruck. Will he ever reach it? Not sure. But very high reward for the club that picks him up and is able to get him to a competitive rucking weight (if there is a club that can). GWS need him and probably can do it, which is why they’re reportedly desperate to get him.
Luke Jackson was 94kg in his draft year and even Tim English was 86kg (though 4cm taller), so it shows just how much he needs to put on before even getting close to an AFL playing weight

Luke Jackson was 94kg in his draft year and even Tim English was 86kg (though 4cm taller), so it shows just how much he needs to put on before even getting close to an AFL playing weight

I'd be upset if we took Andrew before pick 25ish. He won't last that long. too much upside for some teams. But he doesn't fill a need for us, in the next 5 years.

He looks like he has the skill set to play on the wing .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So if the list management team do a trade of 3 picks for pick2, you’ll have faith in their decision.? Show the faith! I to would be happy to give those 3 picks for pick 2. The top of the draft is usually where the best talent is found. I’m very doubtful we’ll get a gun with our early picks. I’m reasonably confident both Callaghan and even Ward will be very good.
Massive overs, no way known I’d do that for an untried kid

He looks like he has the skill set to play on the wing .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He looks very similar to Nick Cox. And he looks like being a star. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have someone due to start playing in a few seasons. We contend in 2022, refresh through 2023-24, and launch again from 2025 onwards with Andrew a gun swing man. I wouldn’t mind using pick-7 on him if all of the players we hope get through in Ward, Gibcus and Hobbs are gone. I’d certainly go Andrew over Rachele from what I’ve seen….Looks too much like Higgins or Lennon for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

20 years ago heading into the 2002 offseason, we had just come off the prelim belting to Brisbane and proceeded to trade picks 2, 18, & 32 for Kane Johnson and pick 28 for Justin Blumfield. Blumfield played 2 seasons and Johnson was a serviceable captain, but looking at what we gave up for those 2 players with a 2021 lens is mind blowing. Thank **** our football department has come along way in professionalism.

In 2021, Despite a list still in contention, we are hitting the draft hard with 2 first rounders and 3 seconds in the bank with some real thought and strategy in our approach. Despite some wanting us to trade for for the 2022 equivalent of Johnson and Blumfield in Tom Mitchell and Lipinski

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20 years ago heading into the 2002 offseason, we had just come off the prelim belting to Brisbane and proceeded to trade picks 2, 18, & 32 for Kane Johnson and pick 28 for Justin Blumfield. Blumfield played 2 seasons and Johnson was a serviceable captain, but looking at what we gave up for those 2 players with a 2021 lens is mind blowing. Thank fu** our football department has come along way in professionalism.

In 2021, Despite a list still in contention, we are hitting the draft hard with 2 first rounders and 3 seconds in the bank with some real thought and strategy in our approach. Despite some wanting us to trade for for the 2022 equivalent of Johnson and Blumfield in Tom Mitchell and Lipinski
Pick 2 could've netted us Daniel Wells/Jared Brennan
Pick 18 Kris Shore/Troy Selwood/Will Minson
Pick 32.Luke Jericho/Sean Dempster

Fair to say both Wells & Brennan were good when they pulled their finger out.
You could say we didn't really lose out on that deal.
(We got Jay Shultz @ 12 as part of the deal).

20 years ago heading into the 2002 offseason, we had just come off the prelim belting to Brisbane and proceeded to trade picks 2, 18, & 32 for Kane Johnson and pick 28 for Justin Blumfield. Blumfield played 2 seasons and Johnson was a serviceable captain, but looking at what we gave up for those 2 players with a 2021 lens is mind blowing. Thank fu** our football department has come along way in professionalism.

We've won 3 flags with this list but fell in a whole this season. A lot of names get thrown around as potential trades. In the end all we picked up was Tarrant. Instant replacement for Astbury. I guess our off field people analysed the data and opted not to go for Mitchell who would have brung an improvement to one aspect of our game. Maybe cost of a high draft pick wasn't worth it and the list department thinks the current players are good enough if they can stay fit.
I don't mind that we haven't gone for Mitchell and I think we can be competitive next year. The great draft hand is nice, although not a guarantee, but I'd be expecting a couple of high picks to play some senior football.
If the season is another crappy one then a few more names out of the club at the end of 22.

We've won 3 flags with this list but fell in a whole this season. A lot of names get thrown around as potential trades. In the end all we picked up was Tarrant. Instant replacement for Astbury. I guess our off field people analysed the data and opted not to go for Mitchell who would have brung an improvement to one aspect of our game. Maybe cost of a high draft pick wasn't worth it and the list department thinks the current players are good enough if they can stay fit.
I don't mind that we haven't gone for Mitchell and I think we can be competitive next year. The great draft hand is nice, although not a guarantee, but I'd be expecting a couple of high picks to play some senior football.
If the season is another crappy one then a few more names out of the club at the end of 22.
Blumfield was a top bloke, I sat with him at a corporate function and he was really giving, sadly he was a bit shot at the tigers, and his body was not that great

Luke Parker nominated us yet?

what a cracking draft 2001 was (*denotes a Brownlow):

Pick 71 - Brian Lake 251 games
Pick 60 - Adam Schneider 228 games
*Pick 58 - Dane Swan 258 games
Pick 46 - Jarrad Waite 244 games
**Pick 40 - Garry Ablett Jnr 357 games
Pick 37 - Leigh Montagna 287 games
*Pick 36 - Sam Mitchell 329 games
Pick 32 - Campbell Brown 205 games
Pick 24 - Steve Johnson 293 games
Pick 17 - James Kelly 313 games
Pick 13 - Nick DalSanto 322 games
Pick 12 - Brent Reilly 203 games
*Pick 8 - Jimmy Bartel 305 games
Pick 7 - David Hale 237 games
**Pick 3 - Chris Judd 279 games
Pick 2 - Luke Ball 223 games
Pick 1 - Luke Hodge 346 games

Another 12 were in the 100 to 200 game category as well. And while a couple of those in 200+ category are not exactly household names, great service all the same - oh and one Goal Umpire - DRod)!

The following year, 2002 produced just 10 players 200+ No Brownlows and One Field Umpire (Leigh Fisher)
it was basically a draft we opted out of 33 Rodan was our first pick Adam Houlihan from Geelong at 63 was our second we then had 68 and 77.
Pick 17 was our our first in a convoluted way it ended up at Geelong and they took James Kelly.

Imo they created their dynasty on the back of mainly two drafts 1999 and 2001.

Laughable and just one of the many crazy things the club did for a long time. The 01 draft was widely touted at the time as the best draft ever and we had such little participation in it.

it was basically a draft we opted out of 33 Rodan was our first pick Adam Houlihan from Geelong at 63 was our second we then had 68 and 77.
Pick 17 was our our first in a convoluted way it ended up at Geelong and they took James Kelly.

Imo they created their dynasty on the back of mainly two drafts 1999 and 2001.

Laughable and just one of the many crazy things the club did for a long time. The 01 draft was widely touted at the time as the best draft ever and we had such little participation in it.

Its important RFC supporters get to see what gifts come to us in the draft before Christmas!!

Is it time to pull the trigger?

15 and 27 for pick 11 of the Bombers

If we can get Hobbs at 11 where he may not be there at 15 it could prove important.

There is a good chance Hobbs may slide a little given the polarised view with different clubs but obviously he will not slide forever.

Obviously Hobbs will go first round but he is no certainty to go high given the risks

Last edited:
Is it time to pull the trigger?

15 and 27 for pick 11 of the Bombers

If we can get Hobbs at 11 where he may not be there at 15 it could prove important.

There is a good chance Hobbs may slide a little given the polarised view with different clubs but obviously he will not slide forever
Hobbs is no chance to be there at 11. He's very little chance to be there at 7.

I don't mind the deal you propose though, IF there's a player left at pick 11 that we rate higher. Maybe someone like Gibcus/Johnson could slide to that pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back