MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Embarassing post. Professional sportspeople have repeatedly killed themselves while suffering from CTE.

Disappointing that you brought both this and the Brayshaw incident up in relation to the SPP incident.

A reminder that Brayshaw was sidelined for an indefinite period in 2016 for multiple concussions brought about from on-field incidents. resulting in him wearing a helmet in his future AFL career. He subsequently suffered two further concussions in 2017 missing nine weeks of games.

What responsibility does the Melbourne Football Club, the VFL, the AFL and Brayshaw himself have for continuing to play the high impact sport of Australian rules football for another 7 years given that history of head trauma?

And wtf is Sam Powell Pepper being used in 2024 as an exemplar for punishment in response to Brayshaw's retirement after suffering multiple concussion incidents in multiple games - none of which involved SPP?

I know from personal experience that the potential life threatening impacts of multiple concussions has been established for at least 2 decades but players, clubs and league officials across many sports have been happy to ignore that risk. They have had decades to consider that risk and are only now responding.

Which makes the claims of elite athletes having the capacity to respond to rapidly changing circumstances in a high impact game on-field within milliseconds and punishing them for making the wrong choice kind of ironic don't you think?

Last edited:
So you can be suspended in a pre season game but cant serve any part of your suspension in a pre season game? Wrap your head around that one folks. Doesnt feel like you should be able to have one without the other but here we are.

Embarassing post. Professional sportspeople have repeatedly killed themselves while suffering from CTE.

Go and tell the kids of Shane Tuck or Danny Frawley that you're prepared to cop concussions to players because you want your players to be tough guys.

Go tell Angus Brayshaw that his retirement is a cost of doing business because we want tough guys like Maynard in the game.

SPP isn't knocking out blokes every other week, he knows where the line is and he admits he crossed it.

SPP said what the club told him to say, are you actually that naive ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have no problem with Maynard, in fact if he was on our list, both him & SPP would be the first 2 players I would select every week. They make football worth watching and I’m just glad we have one of them playing for us.

If you think Sam deserves an excessive penalty so the likes of the AFL, Whateley, & King can feel good about themselves, then I feel very sorry for you.

AFL would be secretly loving this. Non-Vic side. Set a precidence without upsetting their base. Vic media to pile on and pave the way so even if he gets 3 weeks he looks like he's a lucky boy! He'll clearly get extra weeks which he doesn't deserve. Obviously different incidents, but we went through a similar thing last year with McAdam.

Can you imagine if this was Daicos instead of SPP. :unamused:

Degoey’s bump last year was a significantly worse action than Sam’s, without any mitigating circumstances affecting the action. I get that they are trying to supposedly set a new standard but it cannot be a greater penalty than that. If so you can see how the corruption and favouritism tags get applied.

AFL would be secretly loving this. Non-Vic side. Set a precidence without upsetting their base. Vic media to pile on and pave the way so even if he gets 3 weeks he looks like he's a lucky boy! He'll clearly get extra weeks which he doesn't deserve. Obviously different incidents, but we went through a similar thing last year with McAdam.

Can you imagine if this was Daicos instead of SPP. :unamused:
How Mcadam got 3 and Pickett got 2 is still baffling. What a disgrace of an organisation the AFL is, they don't even try to hide their bias.

What i really look forward to is seeing what happens when a star Vic player nails someone and how they handle it. Especially if it’s on the cusp of finals aka Cotchin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know this particular thing is the issue, right?
That this is precisely what they actually did do.

I argued has hard as I could on as many platforms as I could that Maynard's was an obvious multiple week ban.

If I don't argue that SPP should also be banned when he bumps someone in the head, then how can I be taken seriously as someone who has opinions on football? I just look like a nuffy who can't think critically when their own team is involved.

(and my opinion is that the Maynard one is clearly worse and deserved more weeks than SPP)

We can be rightly cynical that a player from a big club who stands to miss a GF won't be banned in the same circumstances as SPP will be here. I'm not arguing against that at all. I'm just saying that this should be a 2-3 week ban, depending on what the AFL deem severe impact to look like.

If the result comes back 5 weeks or something insane like that, i'll argue it was too harsh because if this is severe impact worthy of a ban 2 weeks over the minimum, how many weeks is it when someone knocks someone out cold?

Has there ever been an indigenous representative on the tribunal??

Do you think they do a Welcome to Country at the tribunal? If not, Powell-Pepper should formally object and immediately put them on the back foot.

Disappointing that you brought both this and the Brayshaw incident up in relation to the SPP incident.

A reminder that Brayshaw was sidelined for an indefinite period in 2016 for multiple concussions brought about from on-field incidents. resulting in him wearing a helmet in his future AFL career. He subsequently suffered two further concussions in 2017 missing nine weeks of games.

What responsibility does the Melbourne Football Club, the VFL, the AFL and Brayshaw himself have for continuing to play the high impact sport of Australian rules football for another 7 years given that history of head trauma?

And wtf is Sam Powell Pepper being used in 2024 as an exemplar for punishment in response to Brayshaw's retirement after suffering multiple concussion incidents in multiple games - none of which involved SPP?

I know from personal experience that the potential life threatening impacts of multiple concussions has been established for at least 2 decades but players, clubs and league officials across many sports have been happy to ignore that risk. They have had decades to consider that risk and are only now responding.

Which makes the claims of elite athletes having the capacity to respond to rapidly changing circumstances in a high impact game on-field within milliseconds and punishing them for making the wrong choice kind of ironic don't you think?

I posted about Brayshaw, Frawley and Tuck because Scodges the genius posted words to the effect that I can't be a real Port Adelaide supporter or a fan of SPP if I want him banned for this. Which is an embarrassing, ridiculous comment.

Maynard's actions would have concussed most of the league. It's not just about being concussion prone with that incident.

The AFL (and wider society) has made it clear over 2 decades that if you throw yourself recklessly into a contest and hurt someone, you're responsible for it. What Sam did here isn't a normal footy action, he went in too hard to a contest and needs to take better care next time.

We don't need to stop playing footy. Players take care to avoid injuring themselves, their teammates and opponents at every contest in every game. They just need to continue to do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back