VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Round 18

North Melbourne v Geelong
Arden Street Oval, North Melbourne
1.05pm AEST, Saturday 27 July

In: Brandan Parfitt, Mitch Knevitt, Phoenix Foster, Jack Sarcevic, Tanner Lewis, Ethan Borys, Ryan Eyers
Out: Rhys Stanley, Tanner Bruhn (AFL), Connor O'Sullivan (managed), Jed Bews (AFL), Darcy Edmends (injured), Lachlan Bond, Liam Kershaw
Debut: Jack Sarcevic (Bell Park), Ethan Borys (South Barwon)

Back68. Ethan Borys50. Dan Capiron (C)31. Oscar Murdoch
Half Back42. Mark O'Connor43. Emerson Jeka62. Marcus Herbert
Centre15. George Stevens41. Mitch Hardie34. Oisin Mullin
Half Forward52. Jack Sarcevic19. Phoenix Foster20. James Willis
Full Forward82. Hamish Lucas37. Joe Furphy13. Jhye Clark
Ruck75. Ryan Eyers3. Brandan Parfitt10. Mitch Knevitt
Interchange48. Kaelan Bradtke63. Todd White66. Tanner Lewis
64. Patrick Hughes79. Lewis Antonac
23rd player 68. Ethan Borys
Emergencies56. Ajang Kuol mun58. Kade Chalcraft60. Lachlan Bond
61. Tobyn Murray67. Tyler Norton72. Will Sheahan
74. Liam Kershaw84. Joe Pike

Knevitt and hardie playing well again.

Lots of ruck time for furphy surprised we didnt play the extra ruck in pike today (possibly hiding him maybe).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Q1 thoughts:

The rain is effecting the style of play, hard to tell how heavy it is on the camera

Hardie kicked a nice goal via a soccer, busy throughout. A notable turnover where he took age to decide what to do

Willis has a level of burst that is ahead of pretty much everyone at this level. had a couple of nice moments

Mullins kept the ball in via a kick up the line when he was running toward the boundary. Will kick it down the line on his left

Parfitt had a nice escape from a tackle, didn't leave the area of a phonebox, got past but then lost his feet on the way out. Otherwise having trouble getting metreage with his ball use

Knevitt doing work around the stoppages, including a goal. Set up by Hughes who has been lively

Clark was on Greenwood, didn't notice much of him

Obviously I was watching the main game. But Furphy with 56 hitouts! That sounds exciting, but only 8 disposals.. Anybody watch or know much about his game?

He was rucking against inexperienced kids so i wouldnt place much stock in it.

I watched 3 quarters. Tough watch. Very wet and slippery. Really only the guys around the ball had any chance to impact.

Clark, Knevitt, Hardie, Parfitt involved a lot. All had good and bad moments but I'd say Clark showed the most poise and class.

I really like Willis's explosiveness and competitiveness. He's got a bit of Gary Rohan about him.

I honestly wouldn't read much into this game at all given how wet it was. It just turned into an arm wrestle that we were a bit better and a bit cleaner in.

.....Furphy is an inexperienced kid.....

In football nous yes hes green but physically hes bigger and stronger (and older) than young maley and dawson (remembering dawson was only eligible for last years draft by a couple of weeks and physically has a lot of strength to put on). So he should be beating those guys if hes half decent.

In football nous yes hes green but physically hes bigger and stronger (and older) than young maley and dawson (remembering dawson was only eligible for last years draft by a couple of weeks and physically has a lot of strength to put on). So he should be beating those guys if hes half decent.

"Young Maley" is only a few months younger than Furphy.

I was at the match, under cover don’t worry.

Standouts:
Furphy: (56 hitouts) but did way more around the play and took some great marks.
Knevitt: 2 goals, was always in the contest.
Hardie: same as Knevitt, always was in and under.
Jeka: clear general down back, was great.
Clark: should’ve been in Tassie, very solid game. In and under, few great tackles and efforts.
Willis: needs to be given a few games in the seniors, this kid is a gun. When Rohan retires, get this kid in.

That’s just AFL Listed players, non AFL listed I’d say Tanner Lewis, Marcus Herbert and Jack Sarcevic on debut, kicked the first of the game.

Could Willis debut this week with Rohan out? Is he ready?

I dont think we will have any debutants this late in the year.

Close to finals we need to settle the side and work out who the ruck is, which forward gets left out (we have one too many), where sdk plays, whether neale stays in or not.
Any ins or outs will be fringe guys like clark or knevitt.
But i hope willis gets 1 year and gets games next year.

I dont think we will have any debutants this late in the year.

Close to finals we need to settle the side and work out who the ruck is, which forward gets left out (we have one too many), where sdk plays, whether neale stays in or not.
Any ins or outs will be fringe guys like clark or knevitt.
But i hope willis gets 1 year and gets games next year.
Willis has moments of real class which is worth persevering with. He is still young. Different to say Murdoch.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back