VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

If Hardie continues his form and continues not to be picked for AFL (with a struggling AFL midfield) it is a very bad signal to potential draftees - might just decline approaches by the Cats for better chance, particularly at more struggling clubs -or simply to stay in home league (eg. SAFL) . Kind of says - ‘even if you start to excel at VFL level, we’re only ever going to pick you for AFL as an absolute last resort’. As indicated by Catters, at least Whyte, Burbury etc got a game where they could have a taste and potentially show something.

Lol. Yeah the next 18 year old draftee is definitely going to worry cause we didn't select a random bloke they've never heard of.

It's a real pity we've never brought any mature aged players through from the state leagues to become quality AFL players too.

Lol. Yeah the next 18 year old draftee is definitely going to worry cause we didn't select a random bloke they've never heard of.

It's a real pity we've never brought any mature aged players through from the state leagues to become quality AFL players too.

An 18 year old wont but any 22yo we are trying to recruit to the vfl list will. Most of those guys will preference clubs that might look to elevate them (as we did in the past with atkins pode etc etc). Promoting these sort of guys is what attracts decent quality players to our vfl program in the first place.

Would be interested to see how that midfield would go against the one we're currently running with in the AFL....

View attachment 2006001

Weird side.

Scott says stanley is only fit to play 2/3 called it match practice.
Good for pike but ajang is unlucky to be dropped.
Foster is lucky to stay in.

An 18 year old wont but any 22yo we are trying to recruit to the vfl list will. Most of those guys will preference clubs that might look to elevate them (as we did in the past with atkins pode etc etc). Promoting these sort of guys is what attracts decent quality players to our vfl program in the first place.

Drafting Hardie over Chalcraft would be more influential for that...

Thanks PO - exactly my point. Also, easy to overlook that 26 YOs playing in SAFL are likely well into planning post footy lives, setting up businesses etc - big step to up root life and move interstate for a couple of years. Going to only go if there is some genuine prospect of playing AFL.

Yeah they'll look at our team and see Stewart, Close, Atkins, Blicavs, Mullin, O'Connor, etc and be really worried that the coaching staff are biased against mature aged talent.

Seriously the overreaction to Hardie not being picked has been insane.

I've watched a bunch of VFL footy this year and even on performance I think he's basically level pegging with Humphries, Mannagh and Knevitt who have also been excellent let alone considering the "do you have traits to set you apart at AFL level" question.

Last edited:
Name the player who couldn't get a game here because of "Mr Clicky Scott" and dominated elsewhere.
How do we know if you don’t get the chance, I’m really sick of people with this attitude, actually look at them, it’s one player out of 22/23, there is plenty of footballers who excel with better players around them but we never see it🤷‍♂️

How do we know if you don’t get the chance, I’m really sick of people with this attitude, actually look at them, it’s one player out of 22/23, there is plenty of footballers who excel with better players around them but we never see it🤷‍♂️
I'll take that as a 'no' then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foster is listed he's not going anywhere.

My point was if he wasnt on a list his form would get him dropped back to south barwon. Hes barely vfl level.

I just hope that everyone who seems invested in selection and voices an opinion on who should be selected actually watches the VFL today.
No harm having different opinions. It's good there's so much engagement in the VFL.

I've had the impression some people are upset over a stat line though, so hopefully the interest generated means people are going to watch and then we can discuss share thoughts on what actually occurred.

In the end ladies and gents, the coaches see the players full time and nearly every day of the week do what they do.

You see them once per week (if that, I'm sure for some of you), as much as I would love to see Hardie get a crack they definitely know more than you sitting on your couch.

and thats footy, baby, thats footy.

Yeah they'll look at our team and see Stewart, Close, Atkins, Blicavs, Mullin, O'Connor, etc and be really worried that the coaching staff are biased against mature aged talent.

Seriously the overreaction to Hardie not being picked has been insane.

I've watched a bunch of VFL footy this year and even on performance I think he's basically level pegging with Humphries, Mannagh and Knevitt who have also been excellent let alone considering the "do you have traits to set you apart at AFL level" question.

I agree re the previous ones we have elevated but a lot of those were years ago. We really havent done this in the last 3 years except for hardie and mannagh who we arent playing which indicates a change in philosophy.

One can argue that a big reason why ling (as captain) mclachlan and chalcraft left was because they didnt see a path onto an afl list from here. Now one can argue the club was right but we have also replaced them with inferior level vfl players which shows the effect not elevating guys on form can have on getting mature vfl talent. Remembering a lot of these guys make more $ playing country footy so the main carrot to keep them in the vfl program is the hope of getting on a list. In this context seeing the hardie types getting picked when their form warrants it.

I do agree hardie probably wont make it but this is still why i would give him 2 or 3 games. Mannagh on the other hand has afl traits and if he asks for a trade to another vic club at the end of the year he will probably play a lot of afl there.

In the end ladies and gents, the coaches see the players full time and nearly every day of the week do what they do.

You see them once per week (if that, I'm sure for some of you), as much as I would love to see Hardie get a crack they definitely know more than you sitting on your couch.

and thats footy, baby, thats footy.

I dont disagree with that.

But theres also a cost to not selecting players if their form warrants it.

maybe his training is shit house, maybe he isn't running to the right spots behind the ball, maybe he doesn't know how to defend, maybe he spends his Friday nights drinking piss and breaking into houses.

Who knows

I agree re the previous ones we have elevated but a lot of those were years ago. We really havent done this in the last 3 years except for hardie and mannagh who we arent playing which indicates a change in philosophy.

3 years ago Close and Atkins were coming off missing selection in the 2020 finals series. Stengle and Mullin weren't on our list. 3 mature players have become best 22 in that time and we're backing Mullin now as well. We just rate Mullin higher than Mannagh or Hardie.

3 years ago Close and Atkins were coming off missing selection in the 2020 finals series. Stengle and Mullin weren't on our list. 3 mature players have become best 22 in that time and we're backing Mullin now as well. We just rate Mullin higher than Mannagh or Hardie.

If all that is true why spend a 2nd round pick on mannagh in the first place and why not delist hardie last year?

What is there are others whose form warrants it more or someone else is playing their position better? There are about 30 players I like to see play in the afl side ant the moment…unfortunately you can’t play them all.

If all that is true why spend a 2nd round pick on mannagh in the first place and why not delist hardie last year?
I think all the views raised on this discussion have some merit. I guess one upside we can all agree on is that it’s good to have depth and options in VFL, even if each player has some flaws.
The MC are focused on winning with some development and almost always right with their choices.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back