VFL highlights on CFC

Remove this Banner Ad

RRRooocccaaa

Cancelled
May 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really appreciate the footage and insight...

...but can't stand the knob-end who's commentating ATM. How many stupid voices and insider-gags does he have to fit in a 5 minute segment? Stick to the facts, wannabe. And do you reckon his dad has a hot-dog stand at each venue with the amount of plugs?!? :rolleyes:

Back to the highlights, though - would have liked to have seen a little more of Action Jaxson's highlights this week and also the 'Caff on some leads. This weekend and it's all over until next year.

...but can't stand the knob-end who's commentating ATM. How many stupid voices and insider-gags does he have to fit in a 5 minute segment? Stick to the facts, wannabe. And do you reckon his dad has a hot-dog stand at each venue with the amount of plugs?!? :rolleyes:

Back to the highlights, though - would have liked to have seen a little more of Action Jaxson's highlights this week and also the 'Caff on some leads. This weekend and it's all over until next year.

I will put the video on Youtube for people who can't see it.

Yeah the Guy does sound a bit like a Tool when he tells us what happens.

Was a very short package wish they would show more

Here you go:

[youtube]F-Wlip1jfmM[/youtube]

I won't start a new thread for it, so here's the report by Luke Mason.

VFL Report: Pies outclassed

Luke Mason 8:48 AM Tue 26 August, 2008

Heavy conditions and a well-drilled Port Melbourne line-up saw the Borough outclass Collingwood’s VFL side to the tune of 66-points at TEAC Oval on Saturday afternoon in the penultimate round of the VFL season.

The Magpies were simply outplayed by Port Melbourne, who sits in equal first position on the ladder (with Williamstown and North Ballarat), the home side playing to the standard expected, making better use of the heavy conditions.

Collingwood were not without some of the better players on the field, with Rhyce Shaw returning after a two-week club suspension, playing a consistent four-quarter match from halfback, with his voice and leadership a standout amongst a batch of younger players.

With injury and suspension prompting a shuffling of the deckchairs in the senior team, the drain has been felt in the reserves side, although the absence of some AFL names means that a number of VFL-listed players receive their opportunity to shine.

Sam Iles was perhaps the side’s most consistent onballer on the day, slotting the best of his side’s four majors with a well-executed kick from the forward pocket in the third quarter.

Fullback Simon Prestigiacomo held Port’s full forward Adrian Bonaddio to only one goal, quite a feat, considering Bonaddio is third on the VFL’s goalkicking tally with 49 for the season. With Cameron Wood and Lachlan Keefe shouldering much of the rucking burden, Justin Crow, fresh off the plane from Beijing (having spent the past two weeks watching sister Kym compete in the rowing for Australia), was employed as the loose man in defence.

Inaccuracy marred the first term for both sides in wet and slippery condition with Port Melbourne making the better of the conditions with four goals (although three were the beneficiary of free kicks). The Pies were unable to goal for the term squandering five shots at goal.

They opened their account in the second quarter, when Shaw raced down the field to receive a pass from Iles, before steadying to goal from the 45-metre range. It was all one-way traffic, however, as the Borough made the majority of the play for the term, but, like the Pies in the previous quarter, were unable to convert, booting 2.6, taking a 35-point advantage into the rooms at the long break.

Collingwood strung together its best football for the day in the third quarter, with goals to Iles, Brent Macaffer and Chris Egan. Unfortunately, their three majors were punctured by five to Port Melbourne, who held a very comfortable 50-point lead at three quarter time.

Although the young Pies failed to score a goal in the last quarter, they should be commended for the way in which they refused to lose their composure. Their endeavour was encouraging on a difficult day at the office, their patience restricting the Borough to only two goals for the quarter.

It must be remembered that Collingwood lacked a number of senior players, including rebounding defender Shannon Cox, who played a part in the senior’s side massive win against Sydney on Saturday night.

Coach Gavin Brown praised the work ethic of his team, particularly considering the mounting injury toll on the interchange bench.

“It wasn’t the best standard, but I thought the boys had a real go, but they just ran over the top of us, really, but they are a very good side, and are right up the top (of the ladder), so to lose was disappointing, but I thought our boys had a go.”

“The conditions might have played a role, but I thought it was down to just poor execution and poor decision-making at times which just killed us.”

“At halftime, the message was just to stick to what we were trying to do, and to improve on that, and I thought we did that, because we came out in the third quarter and we were able to do that reasonably well, and the effort was there all day, but our execution and ability to implement the game-plan at times really hurt us, as did their pressure, and full credit to them.”

Brown was full of praise for Shaw, as well as Crow, who played as if he had not missed a beat.

“Rhyce Shaw was pretty good, I thought Sammy Iles was good again, I thought Presti was very good, but there were a few senior players who were a little bit disappointing when we were down.”

“We really had to battle on all day, when Ryan Lonie and Tim Walsh went down, and Colbert copped a knock early, so it was good that we battled on. For Justin Crow to just step off the plane after two weeks in Beijing three days ago and do the job that he did was just incredible, he’s been unbelievable, Crowy.”

“We had a couple of rookies in today, with Nick Dimattina, Ben Considine and James Saville, so it has been good to play a few rookies every week and give them a game. They stood up and put their hand up and gave it a go.”

“With one to go, we’ve copped a couple more injuries today, by the looks of it, so that might be an opportunity for another rookie to have another go, which is a good reward for those blokes who’ve been working hard all year to get a game under their belt. With one more to go, we’ve just got to push on. They’ve all got to put their hands up because they have a lot to play for, both the AFL and the VFL boys.”

Both Ryan Lonie and Tim Walsh have reportedly injured their hamstrings, while Ryan Colbert copped a heavy knock in the second term.

The Magpies have one more match remaining in their return season in the VFL, scheduled to face the Casey Scorpions at 2pm on Saturday at Princes Park.

Collingwood: 0.5, 1.6, 4.7, 4.9 (33)

Port Melbourne: 4.5, 6.11, 11.15, 13.21 (99)

Goals – Collingwood: Macaffer, R.Shaw, Iles, Egan.

Port Melbourne: Cain 3, Nahas 3, Pinwall, McMahon, Baird, Dwyer, Bonaddio, McLaren, Pitt

Best – Collingwood: R.Shaw, Crow, Iles, Prestigiacomo, Barham, Frost.

Port Melbourne: Pinwill Brewer Smith Pitt McLaren.

Injuries – Collingwood: Lonie (hamstring), Walsh (hamstring), Colbert (concussion), Macaffer (back).

Port Melbourne: Nil

Umpires: Dan Beard, Brent Pawley, Tim Saunders

Votes:

1 – R.Shaw, Crow, Iles, Prestigiacomo.
collingwoodfc.com.au

Surely Lonie's cooked now that he's injured yet again.

I am pretty sure that the voice isrom Nick Hulett, the club's Media Manager (and a sometime reader of these boards...). Maybe tone it down a bit Nick...

• Banned
I am pretty sure that the voice isrom Nick Hulett, the club's Media Manager (and a sometime reader of these boards...). Maybe tone it down a bit Nick...

Nope, Nick is eloquent and has much better diction. This guy sounds more like an editor or highlights guy who has volunteered to voice the clips. An enthusiastic amateur.

...but can't stand the knob-end who's commentating ATM. How many stupid voices and insider-gags does he have to fit in a 5 minute segment? Stick to the facts, wannabe. And do you reckon his dad has a hot-dog stand at each venue with the amount of plugs?!? :rolleyes:..................
I guess this is the famed "Tall poppy syndrome" - he's just trying to have a bit of fun, jealous are we?:D

• Banned
I guess this is the famed "Tall poppy syndrome" - he's just trying to have a bit of fun, jealous are we?:D

It would only be tall poppy syndrome if he were any good at it.

Why would I feel the need to be jealous? In the age of Youtube I could get exactly the same footage and put my own voiceover on it and post it for all and sundry if I could be arsed.

It would only be tall poppy syndrome if he were any good at it.

Why would I feel the need to be jealous? In the age of Youtube I could get exactly the same footage and put my own voiceover on it and post it for all and sundry if I could be arsed.
Exactly, you couldn't - why bother when it's easier just to ridicule anyone that does make the effort and has a go!

He is very annoying, even for a highlights commentator.

Replace with a coach at least we'll know how they really feel

its not a matter of having a go, the guy gets paid for it.
its that he is trying to be funny and he clearly isn't, just call the footy and leave the comedy to the professionals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, you couldn't - why bother when it's easier just to ridicule anyone that does make the effort and has a go!

Hey you got me big guy. I'm just lazy and negative.

Anyhoo... He actually wouldn't be a bad commentator if he spent less time being self-conscious with the voices and more time re-editing his script.

^^^

Well summed up with the Twelth man call. As Billy Birmingham would say in his best Richie voice "Gee-what-a-w***er".

I'd like to take this opportunity to say 'Nice work, son' to aforementioned commentator for this week's VFL highlights. Wonder if he'd been reading this thread :cool:

Clear, concise, entertaining and a satisfying watch. Nice to see Sam Iles snapping a 'Thomas' and to see Reid running around again.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL highlights on CFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back