VFL Report.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only change that needs to happen is:

IN: Rocca
OUT: Brown

There is no obvious match up for Brown (as we saw last time) and Rocca has a great record against the Dogs.

At worst, he'll keep Lake of Jack's back.
Since MM just made another public statement about Rocca still being in the mix, I can't see how he can not pick him this week. It would be very risky to pick him for a final without a single seniors game under his belt. Even more true for a mid, so I think McCarthy is probably out for this year - unless he too is picked this week which seems unlikely. Then again MM claims not to care whether we finish 3rd or 4th, so it would actually make a lot of sense.

The experiment could include dropping journeyman to see if the side still needs what amounts to hardness training wheels. However Anvil's defensive work has improved a lot. His main problem is slowness against a leading forward, which could potentially cut us to pieces if an opposition gets on top in the midfield - eg if White had got better service.

I could see Steele potentially being handy under finals pressure but he has played seniors relatively recently so there's not the same urgency.

Would not be dropping Wellingham or Dick a week out from the finals.

Continuity is very important.

Dick may have fumbled early against the Swans but he was a real menace for their defence. He keeps the ball alive, is creative, freakish and applies alot of defensive forward pressure. A real livewire. He still contributed with 2 goals and some assists which is extremely handy.

Wellingham's tackling and ferocity at the ball and man was very good, particularly as this is the Swans' strength. He is also a beautiful kick and a great run and carry player to create and break the lines. His ability to play both inside and out is vital.

Rusty deserves a game on form but hard to see who goes out.

As for J-Mac, leave him in the VFL for the rest of the season. He is not match-hardened to return to senior football IMO. It is also very risky to be altering the line-up now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep getting games into him at VFL level.

As for Leroy Brown getting dropped, it is a fair comment. There doesn't seem like a match-up for him. Another runner would be extremely handy i.e. Sidebottom.

Rocca playing instead of Leroy is a bad idea. We lose flexibility in positions, we lose potentially the ability to bring in a runner and we become far too top heavy.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Report.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back