What's your advice to Richmond with their rebuild?

What strategy would you use?

• Strip the list - trade out all the players of worth above 25 and hit the draft heavily

• Leave the list - use the draft picks we have and keep the mature players to teach/protect

• Trade heavily - trade out players not essential to our culture/future structure and draft early

• Bring in players - over the next few years, head hunt players to fill roles, leadership and culture

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with all this apart from Taranto and Hopper. Somebody needs to teach the young kids.
If the goal is having veterans to teach kids, that can be done for practically no cost. Will Brodie, Will Setterfield, Jack Macrae, Jarryd Lyons, Rory Atkins and Seb Ross can probably all be acquired for a packet of chips. But hey, if Taranto and Hopper are happy to stay for the money, I guess you have to spend it on someone.

Keep Ross Lyon as far away from the joint as possible

Don’t be afraid to lose players , every time Freo lost players it was seen as a disaster but it never really ended up that bad ( OK Lachie Neale was bad but refer to point 1)

If it comes to the crunch shade towards character over talent

Last 4 spots on the list go to the freakiest athletes you can find whether they’ve played the game or not ( this one is just my opinion) the others are lessons from a long long Freo rebuild

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
If the goal is having veterans to teach kids, that can be done for practically no cost. Will Brodie, Will Setterfield, Jack Macrae, Jarryd Lyons, Rory Atkins and Seb Ross can probably all be acquired for a packet of chips. But hey, if Taranto and Hopper are happy to stay for the money, I guess you have to spend it on someone.
Is there a minimum % of the player cap that still needs to be paid?
Googled it couldn't find anything. I know they talked about it a few years back when North had to overpay 1/2 their list.

Is there a minimum % of the player cap that still needs to be paid?
Googled it couldn't find anything. I know they talked about it a few years back when North had to overpay 1/2 their list.

Yes there is a minimum that has to be paid

Richmond are hopeless at this process. It's why they become irrelevant for decades on end after reaching the top of the mountain.

With Taranto and Hopper locked up to monster deals, they're already on the back foot so you can understand why they're about to ship off every quality player currently on the list in order to try and do a Hawthorn.

Keep in mind, Hawthorn are brilliant at rebuilds so it's a tough one for Richmond.
No need to be a campaigner. Even less need to be a stupid campaigner. Are you Donald Trump?

Of their players who have played over 100 games:

Keep - Balta, Broad, Grimes, McIntosh, Nankervis, Prestia, Short, Vlastuin

Balta's young enough to be in their next flag, and the rest of the players here are worth more in leadership and culture than what they could possibly fetch at the trade table. Nankervis perhaps could get a decent return if a club really needs a ruck, but since he's the captain, I assume he's a good leader so it's worth keeping him.

Trade - Baker, Bolton, Graham, Hopper, Lynch, D Rioli, Taranto

Baker, Bolton, Graham and Rioli are already halfway out the door. Some club desperate for a key forward will probably part with a top 40 pick for Lynch. And there's no point wasting Taranto and Hopper's primes on a bottom four team. Richmond should just cut their losses with those two and get what they can.
Decent take. Id differ in:
McIntosh: Let go. His value on field is being rapidly replaced by kids.
Lynch: Keep. Think if we get a good KPF prospect his value is more in the training of that player than some low pick, and it will be low.
Rioli, Taranto: Keep. Need some high end talent around the kids. Both excel in their commitment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t know why the OP would want to start a thread such as this. Just asking for oppo supporters (especially Geelong) to come in and hang shit on us.

Trade away a couple of our better 25/26 y.o. players for the best picks we can get.

Retire the older guys who have struggled to play this season.

Hit the draft hard with half a dozen top picks.

Spend a few years down the bottom maximising our poor position. Last thing we want to do is have a list that can only fight it out with teams in the middle part of the ladder.

/close thread

Decent take. Id differ in:
McIntosh: Let go. His value on field is being rapidly replaced by kids.
Lynch: Keep. Think if we get a good KPF prospect his value is more in the training of that player than some low pick, and it will be low.
Rioli, Taranto: Keep. Need some high end talent around the kids. Both excel in their commitment.
You wouldn't take two firsts for Rioli? Hopper is also still around, is he not as commited as Rioli and Taranto?

I'd trade Bolton. He is contracted and has lots of ability, so would demand a fair bit of trade currency.

Dan Rioli I would prefer to keep, but see above.

Baker if he wants to go.

Graham & Broad (heard rumours) I'd let go for whatever we can get.

If they all go there should be 3-4 1st round picks coming our way at least and maybe some lesser picks to be bundled to clubs needing points.

Could realistically hit the draft with P1, another 2-3 in the 6-10 range, another 2-3 in the 11-20 range.

You wouldn't take two firsts for Rioli? Hopper is also still around, is he not as commited as Rioli and Taranto?
If they came with two firsts, yep, I'd do that trade. One would have to be mid-first round when taken though.

Problem with Hopper is he's had real trouble getting on the park with any consistency. I know I'm extending the criteria here, but I think kids need on-field leadership.

We don't have much much choice it seems.

It looks a lot of players are on the move.
Rioli- will get a first rounder.
Bolton - low first round and extra.
Baker - under 25 pick.
Graham - late 2nd rounder?

We have 1 and 21 in the draft as is, so that could be 5 or 6 picks under 25.
3 second round ricks already, 36, 40, 41, so good picks still. = maybe 10 good picks in the draft <41.

Dusty gone, Grimes most likely. MacIntosh could go as he is being pushed out. Pickett who knows but 33 next year. At least 2 other delistings, and a few lucky mainly due to 5 knee reco's/rehab. So that is approx. 10 delisting/leaving/trading.

So our list will completely change next season. We still have a good nucleus of players like Nank, Prestia, Vlastuin, Taranto, Gibcus to come back, Balta etc. Lynch will some luck. We have played some good kids this year, all pretty much first year AFL players. We have been in front in 17 or our 20 games at 1/4 time, so not like we are being slaughtered.

It is a deep draft as well so they say.

Be it board members, influential supporters or coteries or even football department members, you need resolute characters who won't be swayed by the media and any prevailing narrative about how the "rebuild" or "window" is going.

There are teams in the AFL who spend all season getting licked like an ice cream for being ahead of the win-loss count (Geelong, Port) or winning early season games to sit high on the ladder (Essendon) or are praised for always being in contention without digging too far into why (Sydney) but ultimately all these clubs have combined for one premiership in the last 10 years. A lot of words, a lot of praise, a lot of week-in, week-out perception that they are "good" or "contenders" but ultimately just one cup.

There is something seductive about being talked about every week of the season as a good team compared to spending the quiet of the offseason actually being the best. Nuffy board members and coeteries who live for the week-to-week journey more than the destination will lead you down the wrong path if they are have too much power. Never mind if that mentality permeates your football department.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's your advice to Richmond with their rebuild?

Back