What's your advice to Richmond with their rebuild?

What strategy would you use?

• Strip the list - trade out all the players of worth above 25 and hit the draft heavily

• Leave the list - use the draft picks we have and keep the mature players to teach/protect

• Trade heavily - trade out players not essential to our culture/future structure and draft early

• Bring in players - over the next few years, head hunt players to fill roles, leadership and culture

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This game in 2017 had 4 overlooked players in the National Draft.
Liam Baker
Marlon Pickett
Liam Ryan
Tim Kelly

Liam Ryan Premiership
Tim Kelly All Australian
Marlon Pickett Premiership
Liam Baker Premiership
Both Richmond boys another premiership
Liam Ryan All Australian

Goes to show some times you can strike Gold in unexpected places!

This game in 2017 had 4 overlooked players in the National Draft.
Liam Baker
Marlon Pickett
Liam Ryan
Tim Kelly

Liam Ryan Premiership
Tim Kelly All Australian
Marlon Pickett Premiership
Liam Baker Premiership
Both Richmond boys another premiership
Liam Ryan All Australian

Goes to show some times you can strike Gold in unexpected places!
I said this to many cats fans. Why was Tim Kelly taken in the 2017 draft but was overlooked in 2016 and 2015 drafts?

Tim Kelly was averaging 28 disposals a game in the WAFL in 2017.

He was averaging 20 disposals a game in 2015 and 2016

Keep Ross Lyon as far away from the joint as possible

Don’t be afraid to lose players , every time Freo lost players it was seen as a disaster but it never really ended up that bad ( OK Lachie Neale was bad but refer to point 1)

If it comes to the crunch shade towards character over talent

Last 4 spots on the list go to the freakiest athletes you can find whether they’ve played the game or not ( this one is just my opinion) the others are lessons from a long long Freo rebuild

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Ross Lyon does get sacked at the saints , I want him to coach another club barring dockers and saints

I said this to many cats fans. Why was Tim Kelly taken in the 2017 draft but was overlooked in 2016 and 2015 drafts?

Tim Kelly was averaging 28 disposals a game in the WAFL in 2017.

He was averaging 20 disposals a game in 2015 and 2016
Has not had a bad season as well in the AFL, has played very well every year. I would say he will have another top 3 best and fairest finish this year as well.

Before you start gutting the list too much consider what Richmond's performance would look like with a full season from Taranto/Hopper/Lynch
I'd say best case scenario is 8th and losing an elimination final, and not being a serious flag contender. They're much better off bottoming out and trying to do a Hawthorn after a couple of years.

Just trade heavily, we don't need to gut the entire list and sell everyone of value, the kids do need someone senior to learn off and set professional standards.

If we can get 5 picks inside 30 with 2-3 of them being in the first round that's a great start.
Would you consider trading one or two of these picks for an established player?

I'm slightly bemused by people suggesting they can read into the future by looking at 30 years ago.

I think the really telling insight from our success has been maintaining board level and management continuity with clarity of vision, whilst ignoring the sensationalist media and the 24/7 news cycle trying to pump every little bump in the road into a major crisis and ferment division.

In the 80s we were broke, cutting corners everywhere and operating on an outdated business model. In the 90s we tried a new rebuilding tactic and coach every second season in our impatience to have success.

It's only really since the 00s that we've had a go at things in a 'modern' way and despite not making the coach the whipping boy (Frawley and Wallace both saw out their contracts) the failure to resource recruitment and playing catch up with the competition in terms of professionalism really took its toll.

This time we're operating on really different ground. The club is financially stable but the capacity to fall off very quickly exists. There's a new CEO in place now and O'Rourke hopefully isn't challenged by impatient members for at least another year or two. If the redevelopment of Punt Road can be achieved quickly given it's already ballooned in costs from 65m to 100m then I feel confident that the new era will be quite successful as it will really be a big asset to sell to both staff and prospective players in addition to offering cutting edge facilities.

Short term, Yze needs more support. The coaching group is extremely junior (Lambert, Ziebell, Newman) or 'old guard' like Teague who has gone and Rutten. The footy department needs more money injected into it, particularly in recruitment and development.

The VFL program is doing extremely well given the injury crisis at senior level has forced them to call up several lower league players and they're in the wild card game today.

Overall I think we'll cop our medicine in terms of the next few years which could be pretty uncompetitive as we turn over at least 7 senior players this year (Martin, Grimes, Pickett, Baker (trade), Bolton (potentially gone in trade), Graham) with the delisting of several other fringe players.

Is a good time to be attacking the next two drafts with Tassie impacting future and the talent apparently running deep, so on the whole I'm more optimistic than not, as anyone who has won 3 flags in the last 8 years should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the outside it looks like the Tiges are putting in efforts for half games only.
After their recent formula of being the toughest and hardest working team, it's a major downtrend.

I'd be worried about the coaching culture. Are the lads going to be white gloved with injury excuses, or be pushed hard and harder with more demands?

Do they think accumulating picks whilst accepting low expectations will work?

Still time for things to turn around. Still time to start kicking butts of slackers.

I think it's about to happen against their will, but I think the value of keeping a core around is huge
It can be, but it can also make a club go the way of St Kilda over the past 10 seasons, never being good enough for a serious shot at a flag, and never being bad enough to get truly elite prospects in to build the next core.

The only ways to succeed in that position are drafting very well or becoming a destination club for free agents or star players. But St Kilda drafted poorly until Philippou, and the players they brought in were good at best, not stars.

That can happen to Richmond too. But at least it's less likely when you bring in a lot of high end talent (and don't have a shit culture like Gold Coast did on startup).

My advice would be to keep doing what they are doing, as it is working perfectly.
Back where they are most comfortable, at the bottom of the ladder.

I cannot see them making the eight for a very long time.

Their irrelevance may even get to 40 years this time.
Loool one hit wonders the pies so called era coming up and back to back lol , to not playing final what a choke !!

My advice:

1) Any players you bring in must be 25 or younger. No exceptions.
2) Split pick one. This is a deep draft for midfielders.
3) The Tigers have been hoarding later picks. Trade some of those for future 1st and 2nd rounders on draft night.
4) Trade Baker and Rioli out, ideally for 1st or early 2nd round picks.
5) Hold Taranto and Hopper for another season and assess.
6) Do not, under any circumstances, trade a 1st, 2nd, or future 1st or 2nd for a player. No exceptions. Even if Petracca's manager calls tomorrow and says he's keen on a trade to Richmond, it's off the table.
7) Any player you do bring in now for a pick should be for a later round pick. Look for players who are under 25, are doing well at VFL/SANFL/WAFL level but aren't getting time in the seniors.
8) Use the later picks for key position talls and rucks.
9) Take a very close look at any good players under 25 in the VFL/WAFL/SANFL who aren't on an AFL club list for late picks.
10) This needs to be repeated. Don't bring in anyone over 25. But don't gut your list either. Keep your own players over 25 for experience.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

What's your advice to Richmond with their rebuild?

Back