Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

If you don't bring the heat, you don't win. Simple really. The last two weeks our pressure rating has been the lowest of any team for the season in at least two quarters of every game. Our pressure was the defining factor that allowed us to showcase our talent.

Take away the pressure game & they bring theirs & we get exposed. It's simple really. The other thing is we have started games with scrappy disposal. Not due to pressure but just lazy disposal & not concentrating on the job at hand. In the first quarter last two weeks our disposal was atrocious. This was not due to pressure but due to players being off the boil.

Last week was a pathetic effort with a very low pressure rating for the majority of the game. As low as 138. That is pathetic & stinks of lack of effort. If we could drop 5 or 6 serial offenders I'm sure they would. But the reality is the reserves we have are just not good enough & the senior players know that. Our forwards & mids were allowing their running players far too much space & at times just coasting. In the last two weeks I have seen Chad Warner put in several pathetic defensive efforts as his opponent picked up possessions & kicked goals.

Hd is not the only one. Several of our mids Ard great in the attack lately but when it comes to defending they are slack. I was also concerned with Wil. He is normally manic in defending the forward 50 but in the last two weeks I have seen him drop off his opponent on several occasions. We are also fumbling. Not due to pressure but due to skill errors. Several serial offenders in the last few weeks, Adams, Jordan, Papley, Rampe, Lloyd, Chad.

What is in Chad's head that he thinks he needs to be a one man show? He has screwed at least 10 plays in the last two weeks due to not giving off to advantage & taking the play on. I know he is good at that bug when they are hunting you in packs maybe give it off to the runners ahead of the ball? Maybe?

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clear as day. Up by 30, Chad starts showboating and the rest of the team follow suit.

Heeney and Gulden watching the ball while a Saints player bursts through to take it in the last few minutes. Just a shitload of expecting the other player to do the work and not enough desire to defend/want the ball.
Yes. Too many passengers. Our mids are becoming the Bombers mids of the last 5 years. Love to go forward but no defensive pressure at all. Rowie is the only one doing that. He must get pissed off at the others. Chad is a serial offender

If you don't bring the heat, you don't win. Simple really. The last two weeks our pressure rating has been the lowest of any team for the season in at least two quarters of every game. Our pressure was the defining factor that allowed us to showcase our talent.

Take away the pressure game & they bring theirs & we get exposed. It's simple really. The other thing is we have started games with scrappy disposal. Not due to pressure but just lazy disposal & not concentrating on the job at hand. In the first quarter last two weeks our disposal was atrocious. This was not due to pressure but due to players being off the boil.

Last week was a pathetic effort with a very low pressure rating for the majority of the game. As low as 138. That is pathetic & stinks of lack of effort. If we could drop 5 or 6 serial offenders I'm sure they would. But the reality is the reserves we have are just not good enough & the senior players know that. Our forwards & mids were allowing their running players far too much space & at times just coasting. In the last two weeks I have seen Chad Warner put in several pathetic defensive efforts as his opponent picked up possessions & kicked goals.

Hd is not the only one. Several of our mids Ard great in the attack lately but when it comes to defending they are slack. I was also concerned with Wil. He is normally manic in defending the forward 50 but in the last two weeks I have seen him drop off his opponent on several occasions. We are also fumbling. Not due to pressure but due to skill errors. Several serial offenders in the last few weeks, Adams, Jordan, Papley, Rampe, Lloyd, Chad.

What is in Chad's head that he thinks he needs to be a one man show? He has screwed at least 10 plays in the last two weeks due to not giving off to advantage & taking the play on. I know he is good at that bug when they are hunting you in packs maybe give it off to the runners ahead of the ball? Maybe?

How do you judge pressure

Another thing I'd like to bring up is the umpire's lack of attention to taggers holding players around the waist. The player who was held back most in the last two weeks was Rowbottom funnily enough. They are holding him back from the contest at every bounce & throw JN. He got a couple of fresh but could have gotten about 10 more. This is an old tactic I thought we'd seen the last of. Opposition coaches know Rowies is the in & under king & they are targetting him because without him doing the hard grunt we get the ball free far less.

Against Saints, if he got free of the hold, he was confronted face on by another opponent, who simply ran at him. These tactics are cheating & against the rules because to run at a player is unfair interference because the player has no intent on the call only on the player. It is also an illegal block.

If Sheldrick was fit we could bring him in to combat this. Mills the same. I hope Millsie is match fit soon as I think he is needed to combat this tactic.

How do you judge pressure
Champion Data has pressure ratings that they take during the game. They can tell if a team is applying pressure by how many opponents get free, distance between our & their direct opponents. What we do when we do not have the ball. This is called a pressure rating. Ours have been low in quarters, not just in the last two weeks, but in the last 6 weeks in first quarters & in the last two weeks in 5 out of 8 quarters.

Run & tackle, how much space you allow your opponents, whether players run hard back to cover, numbers to the ball ( if you Ard constantly outnumbered you will not be able to pressure the opposition). Saints outnumbered us at contest even though they had an extra back. They then utilised that extra by creating an overlap coming out of defence. We should have been really set up in the mids & backs as we had the extra but they seemed to be able to counter that & find space to lead into. I thought Horse was simply outcoached on the day. Our lack of players with the will to run defensively didn't help

Last edited:
Champion Data has pressure ratings that they take during the game. They can tell if a team is applying pressure by how many opponents get free, distance between our & their direct opponents. What we do when we do not have the ball. This is called a pressure rating. Ours have been low in quarters, not just in the last two weeks, but in the last 6 weeks in first quarters & in the last two weeks in 5 out of 8 quarters.

Run & tackle, how much space you allow your opponents, whether players run hard back to cover, numbers to the ball ( if you Ard constantly outnumbered you will not be able to pressure the opposition). Saints outnumbered us at contest even though they had an extra back. They then utilised that extra by creating an overlap coming out of defence. We should have been really set up in the mids & backs as we had the extra but they seemed to be able to counter that & find space to lead into. I thought Horse was simply outcoached on the day. Our lack of players with the will to run defensively didn't help

Can’t wait for bedford ‘s response here 🍿😂

I reckon you lost bedford at 'Champion Data'

Another thing I'd like to bring up is the umpire's lack of attention to taggers holding players around the waist. The player who was held back most in the last two weeks was Rowbottom funnily enough. They are holding him back from the contest at every bounce & throw JN. He got a couple of fresh but could have gotten about 10 more. This is an old tactic I thought we'd seen the last of. Opposition coaches know Rowies is the in & under king & they are targetting him because without him doing the hard grunt we get the ball free far less.

Against Saints, if he got free of the hold, he was confronted face on by another opponent, who simply ran at him. These tactics are cheating & against the rules because to run at a player is unfair interference because the player has no intent on the call only on the player. It is also an illegal block.

If Sheldrick was fit we could bring him in to combat this. Mills the same. I hope Millsie is match fit soon as I think he is needed to combat this tactic.

I knew the holding of Rowbottom was bad when I saw, of all people, Bombers & Blues fans calling it out on Twitter as well.

And this is where Longmire should step in and have a coffee……

Mills is available for selection this week, according to SEN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pleasing thing is that it's all down to pressure. If our pressure was even a fraction better in all three games we've lost, we win all three of them and we're currently talking about our form slump whilst being 16-0 and five games clear on top of the ladder.

Meaning no disrespect to the three opponents who have beaten us (by playing well), we've been our own worst enemy in those games. So I'm still yet to see any evidence that we aren't the best team in it by a significant margin.

The worry is we've blown three incredibly winnable games now and have three of the toughest (Lions, Port and Bombers) still to come.

Amazing what 2 straight McDonald kicks and one less kick down Vlastuns throat could mean for us

Two games and 20% percentage ahead... but we're in a slump. 1st world problems

Amazing what 2 straight McDonald kicks and one less kick down Vlastuns throat could mean for us

Two games and 20% percentage ahead... but we're in a slump. 1st world problems

It'd mean our general issues in games would be ignored and we'd get complacent.

It'd mean our general issues in games would be ignored and we'd get complacent.
But we could afford to get complacent at 16-0 or 15-1. No one would mind relaxing a bit if we were 5 games clear. Now we suddenly have Carlton and a couple of others threatening to breathe down our necks and can’t afford many more slip ups. It’s not a disaster (yet), but jeez… winning at least one of those games would have done wonders. It just feels we’ve let ourselves down. No one will fear us anymore.

And losing all 3 of our close games against very mediocre opposition is a genuine concern. Something just feels a bit off.

If I'm using your logic RD wouldn't a bunch of homosexual men be eager and willing to rip in, pressure and wrestle a bunch of other sweaty men for the sake of the team?

Equally, if the boys were off to Mardi Gras, which you can argue is a grand stage for gay culture, wouldn't our boys have also relished performing in front of a crowd when converting their opportunities in front of goal?

Mods please excuse me as I'm trying to make a point not dissent into bigotry.
What? I have logic? Are you trying to put logic in my mouth?

I don't care whether a player enjoys wrestling sweaty men or not, as long as his opponent is released when they have disposed of the ball or the umpire has blown his whistle*.

Clearly frotteurism has no place on a footy field.

*the umpire's whistle

Kicking 8.5 first half then 3.11 second half suggests we got a case of the heebie-jeebies. Same with the fumbling. One starts fumbling, others start fumbling. Before we know it we are the Flying Fumbelinies, unable to perform without a safety net, our confidence stymied.

Footy is often won or lost between two arcs or between two ears.

I suggest playing "I got my Mojo working" (Jimmy Smith's version*) during all training and gym sessions then again right before the game. Make it the tune of the week. Get all our players humming it to themselves.

*For those who have not heard it, your life is about to change. There is arguably no cooler piece of music in existence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back