Opinion Who should be the next coach of the Adelaide Footy Club after 2024 or even 2023.....

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if you really know what Pyke was like if you think he's a "beta".

I don't think Bassett is ever getting a head coaching gig in the AFL.

You are probably right. Needed to leave Port a few years ago and go back to Victoria.

I don't think Bassett is ever getting a head coaching gig in the AFL.

There's a bit of Malcolm Blight (the coach) about him I reckon.

I'd personally be keen to bring him in and give him a go. Certainly breaks the mould from previous appointments for us.

I'm not sure if you really know what Pyke was like if you think he's a "beta".
He was beta when it came to taking responsibility to lead a football club, he was so process driven and saw everything as boxes needing to be ticked, when that wasn’t enough he ended up relying so heavily on others advice on what he should do at the football club to seek improvement and because he hardly had any real conviction or any strong beliefs he agreed to end up heading down the gimmicky path rather then finding a way to find any actual personal and professional improvement in the playing group.

Pyke had strong leadership qualities but the majority of those were built up in the business world not as a leader of an AFL football club especially as a player where he held no leadership title at the Eagles and again was just a role player in his time with that club and that shone through later on when as coach the team started to struggle he had no idea how to turn things around.

Last edited:

There's a bit of Malcolm Blight (the coach) about him I reckon.

I'd personally be keen to bring him in and give him a go. Certainly breaks the mould from previous appointments for us.
He would lose the players pretty quick in an AFL environment just based on what I've heard about him.

When does Goodwins contract end with the Dees?
End of 2024.

I think our next coach will be Simmo. Hopefully we are speaking to his management now. I believe he will have a amicable split with wce and see the potential untapped quality of our list. Especially once we trade in the missing pieces. The only other option i see is Goodwin coming back here after another flag. He would have to break his contract though.

Last edited:
I think our next coach will be Simmo. Hopefully we are speaking to his management now. I believe he will have a amicable split with wce and see the potential untapped quality of our list. Especially once we trade in the missing pieces. The only other option i see is Goodwin coming back here after another flag. He would have to break his contract though
This is the kind of appointment Adelaide would make if they wanted to pivot away from an inexperienced coach. I don't share your optimism though.

This is the kind of appointment Adelaide would make if they wanted to pivot away from an inexperienced coach. I don't share your optimism though.
If wce only win 2 or 3 games the coach will cop it even though it's not his fault their list is crap. I can see why Simmo would want to come to the crows. Our list is better than what Nicks is extracting from it. There won't be many other teams looking for coaches this year. Just probably powaa.

If wce only win 2 or 3 games the coach will cop it even though it's not his fault their list is crap. I can see why Simmo would want to come to the crows. Our list is better than what Nicks is extracting from it. There won't be many other teams looking for coaches this year. Just probably powaa.
Our list? Says here you support Carlton.

Not sure I agree tbh. If i'm Adam Simpson and I'm making a choice between the Crows and Eagles based on who is likely to rebuild faster, I'd stay at West Coast.

Our list? Says here you support Carlton.

Not sure I agree tbh. If i'm Adam Simpson and I'm making a choice between the Crows and Eagles based on who is likely to rebuild faster, I'd stay at West Coast.
West Coast's young talent is pretty scarce and far away from being fully developed right now, though. They've only really started to get some quality prospects in the door the last couple of years

Reckon it'll be a hard few years, especially once their older brigade all retire

West Coast's young talent is pretty scarce and far away from being fully developed right now, though. They've only really started to get some quality prospects in the door the last couple of years

Reckon it'll be a hard few years, especially once their older brigade all retire
They're behind us now but West Coast know how to tank hard and rebuild fast. They've done it before. Adelaide is in year 4 of it's rebuild and still doesn't resemble a competent football side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're behind us now but West Coast know how to tank hard and rebuild fast. They've done it before. Adelaide is in year 4 of it's rebuild and still doesn't resemble a competent football side.
I don’t see this being similar to the WCE rebuilds of the past. Once Yeo/Shuey/Gov/Gaff/Nic Nat/Hurn retire in the next three years, they won’t have a lot to work with. The Tim Kelly trade definitely set them back by a few years

They’ll want to be sure they’ve hit on most, if not all of their recent picks if they’re to surge up the ladder quickly

West coast will be bad for another 5 years. They signed too many blokes up on big deals. Very reminiscent of the crows around 2018 except for the flag. It's best for both parties to go their separate ways.

Yeah let's take Goodwin... who has gawn, peracca, Oliver, Bradshaw, may, Lever, fritsch at his disposal. 20 players with over 100 games experience 🙃

Or what about Horse who has had Franklin, Kennedy, blakey, heeney, mills, Parker, and other stars who have retired over the years. He has 12 players over 100 games.

I dont think its super hard to be a good coach when you have the cattle. We haven't had the cattle. It's not always the coach. Clarkson couldn't coach Central Districts under 18s side to an AFL premiership simply because they don't have the cattle. I'd be happy to see out next year and see what Nick's can do. Likely Tex, Sloane, Crouch, seed off the list means only Laird and smith will have over 200 games. Next most experienced will be Keays and Dawson at around 110 games. But there will be about 15 best 22 players who will be in that 50 to 100 game zone which is generally when players find their feet at the level. Just like Dawson did the year before he came to us.

We will see this year and next who rises to the occasion.

How about look at what Nick's has done? Attracting A grade talent each off season. Drafting future superstars like Rachelle and soligo. Coaching fogarty out of an early delisting. There's a handful of others who have shown enough in the first 30 games to persist. Nick's has restored a broken culture, made the club attractive to come to again.

I'd say we were in the worst position list wise in our history when Nick's came in. Not an overnight fix. It's easy to maintain a teams list when the spread of experience is in good shape. A few retire, draft a few more. We lost draft picks, lost experienced players due to various reasons, and traded for aging players. 3 things that in future years clearly destroy the experience profile of a list.

In short, we went All In and got beat on the River. Now we have to buy back in.

Yeah let's take Goodwin... who has gawn, peracca, Oliver, Bradshaw, may, Lever, fritsch at his disposal. 20 players with over 100 games experience 🙃

Or what about Horse who has had Franklin, Kennedy, blakey, heeney, mills, Parker, and other stars who have retired over the years. He has 12 players over 100 games.

I dont think its super hard to be a good coach when you have the cattle. We haven't had the cattle. It's not always the coach. Clarkson couldn't coach Central Districts under 18s side to an AFL premiership simply because they don't have the cattle. I'd be happy to see out next year and see what Nick's can do. Likely Tex, Sloane, Crouch, seed off the list means only Laird and smith will have over 200 games. Next most experienced will be Keays and Dawson at around 110 games. But there will be about 15 best 22 players who will be in that 50 to 100 game zone which is generally when players find their feet at the level. Just like Dawson did the year before he came to us.

We will see this year and next who rises to the occasion.

How about look at what Nick's has done? Attracting A grade talent each off season. Drafting future superstars like Rachelle and soligo. Coaching fogarty out of an early delisting. There's a handful of others who have shown enough in the first 30 games to persist. Nick's has restored a broken culture, made the club attractive to come to again.

I'd say we were in the worst position list wise in our history when Nick's came in. Not an overnight fix. It's easy to maintain a teams list when the spread of experience is in good shape. A few retire, draft a few more. We lost draft picks, lost experienced players due to various reasons, and traded for aging players. 3 things that in future years clearly destroy the experience profile of a list.

In short, we went All In and got beat on the River. Now we have to buy back in.
I think Nicks has also smoothed the waters between the players. They do seem happy, united and in good team spirit.

However, Nicks has two (potentially fatal) flaws as Head Coach:
--- his selection policies and player positioning are bewildering; it's only in the last half a season he was trying new combos in the middle which BF (non-pros) were screaming for.
--- he lacks mongrel/toughness and so does the team.
--- he has no Plan B.
Three. Three flaws (channelling Michael Palin in scarlet :sneaky:)

If he sustained his cheery optimism and adopted the mongrel hardness of say Dimma or Clarkson, he might turn it around, but I can't see it.

Last edited:
I have always seen Nicks as a good coach for our rebuild, but not sure if he has it in him to take us to the next level required to be a contender. He has done a great job of getting the team built back up from where we were when he took over. He has improved our culture and really built a close knit group of young kids coming through.

I think he will be in charge until at least next year no matter what happens for the rest of this year, but if we don't improve next year I think he will be gone.

If that does happen, the team will be primed ready for an experienced coach to come in and have an immediate impact and I can see us jumping up the ladder pretty quickly. Not sure who would be available, but preferably someone who has had some success with a team in the finals. Buckley, Goodwin, Simpson would all be good options and may be gettable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back