Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Who wins the 2020 Flag - Prelim finals onward

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Brisbane Lions

Votes: 57 16.3%
  • Richmond Tigers

Votes: 154 44.1%
  • Geelong Cats

Votes: 102 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Important 4 points to keep up with top 4. Brisbane off 4 days losing Rayner certainly missed their ball users off half back and we punished turnovers. They will still be hard to beat in finals. Our draw opens up after Port. Still play GC, Essendon, Freo, Adelaide. WCE and Cats games prob decide our top 4 hopes.

Probably depends on the GF. Be interesting against Port to see what happens. If GF is in Melbourne or Brisbane I'd be confident against anyone, in Adelaide or Perth I'd be confident against everyone bar the home teams and of those West Coast probably worry the most.

Free kick count and differential is meaningless. Anyone who believes that the free kick count (in a fair competition) should even itself out over a season/decade is delusional.

It depends how you play the game. Take WC and Freo over the past decade. WC play a precise kicking, uncontested mark style that makes the other team come at them. Freo historically have played the Ross Lyon model (then RoLy adapted). Scrappy in and under, in your face, rugby maul style. One of these styles will usually end up on the positive side of the free kick count, the other on the negative. It's nothing to do with favouritism, everything with how you play the game.

The Crows have similarly been a lot more bruise free in style than Port. Pretty but only effective if you have the skills to pull it off. And who cares if you win the free count but lose every game? I'd rather be in the Port minus camp than the Crows plus camp right now.

Richmond and Sydney have won premierships being more physical than any other team in their year. They correctly lost the free differential as well.
So all is not lost for Port.
We're probably one of the softest teams going around and we're always on the wrong side of the free kick ledger. Just watch the Essendon vs Brisbane game last week and you'll see that biased umpiring exists.

Can't post this on the Pies board for fear of upsetting some of the marshmallows over there.

Tigers look real good, and importantly, attractive footy. Lots of ups and downs left in this season though, interesting to see how the 4 day break goes.

Tiges do leak opportunities, a part of their cost benefit approach. Contra Pies, who are too negative and bore the marrow from my bones.

I rate with Tiges Port Eagles, and Cats. Don't sleep on the Cats, pretty well coached. Whateley makes me dislike em, but they're alright.

West Coast is the only side that would scare me going into a finals game.

I'm calling it now. It is going to take a mighty effort to beat the Eagles for the flag this year. They are literally the complete package: superb defense with the addition of Kelly coming off the back; big bodied but fast enough midfield with extremely talented mids like Yeo; and a towering forward line of Kennedy, Darling and Allen. They are also regaining some of their 2018 form.

The only thing stopping the Eagles from a second flag in three years is themselves (and of course injuries if they happen, but lets hope not). Nic Nat is a freak and in my opinion the best ruckman going around.
I wish I had your confidence, I am still worried that our small forwards will come back to bite us if our talls dont clunk everything. Maybe playing Yeo forward may help

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 good teams, and no home MCG Advantage makes it much more even and interesting.

Brisbane, West Coast, Richmond, GWS, Port, Collingwood pretty even, all capable of winning this year.

I hope its Brisbane, GWS or Port. but think West Coast may just get the flag.

Still don't rate Brisbane, haven't seen them getting it done against the big boys in any tough matches yet.

GWS for mine.
Looks like I was right again.

LicoriceAllsorts your team cost me $25 and I want someone to pay me back

Looks like I was right again.

LicoriceAllsorts your team cost me $25 and I want someone to pay me back
You bet on Brisbane last night? (You know the team on a 4 day break missing 5 players?) Well you're just dumb and don't know much about football. Should've had 50 on the Tigers -1.5 like my good self

As for the topic of the thread... nothing really has changed except Collingwood are looking worrying (for now). Brisbane and Richmond the teams to beat until further notice

You bet on Brisbane last night? (You know the team on a 4 day break missing 5 players?) Well you're just dumb and don't know much about football. Should've had 50 on the Tigers -1.5 like my good self

As for the topic of the thread... nothing really has changed except Collingwood are looking worrying (for now). Brisbane and Richmond the teams to beat until further notice
Quite the change of tune from a few weeks ago.

6 or 7 sides in it for mine

As has been mentioned by a few, dont sleep on the cats. As much as i cant stand Scott, they are coached well, have a really strong playing dna and usually play the game on their terms which will always give you the best chance of winning. They are dour defensively and have some serious class at the top end with some exciting kids coming through.

WCE are obvious, pies are going through a downer atm but are capable so wouldnt write them off. Brisbane and Port are dangerous and giving themselves the best possible chance. Saints are my outsider/darkhorse. Play a great brand of footy.

Richmond are the benchmark you managed to give the Lions a good old touch up without Astbury, Prestia, Houli, Edwards and Caddy.
Agree they're the benchmark atm but I don't think you can read too much into that game for a couple of reasons. Lions literally playing off of a 4 day break, a man down most of the game after Rayner went down and one of the most inaccurate goal kicking performances you'll see with 4.17.

Would love to see those 2 teams clash under normal circumstances with healthy teams

Last edited:

After last night and the Geelong game I have StKilda Richmond Geelong West Coast GWS ahead of Brisbane.

To be fair, not only were Brisbane firm favourites with all the betting agencies going into the match, they were also the pick on the match thread here as well. But in hindsight, everyone seems to have known Richmond would win it easy

To be fair, not only were Brisbane firm favourites with all the betting agencies going into the match, they were also the pick on the match thread here as well. But in hindsight, everyone seems to have known Richmond would win it easy
Richmond did start as favourites. That's why I bet them at the line and not SU as underdogs :(

Geelong are pretty solid as well.

I would rate the premiership contenders as follows:

Richmond - Obviously the best team. The frightening thing about their form is the amount of injuries they have. This is essentially their B team.
West Coast - Will be extremely difficult to beat in Perth. Best team after Richmond. I think it'll be a Richmond vs West Coast grand final.
Geelong - A tough team with plenty of finals experience.
Collingwood - Really need to sort out their forwardline. They should start winning again once they start having some of their players return from injuries. Plenty of finals experience sees them in with a chance.
Port - They'd need to win 3-4 finals against the above teams to win it. I don't see that happening, but they've obviously put themselves in a good position.
Brisbane - See Port.

St Kilda the dark horse. Can beat any of those teams on their day.

GWS, Bulldogs and Essendon are cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Back