MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Has SPP been hung, drawn and quartered yet?

Meanwhile braynard maynard literally ends a bloke's career, the defence says he's a human frisbee and the AFL let's him off so he can win a flag.

Kinda sick of how ridiculous this competition is. Just the furthest thing possible from any kind of level playing field.

The media headlines and online (including the Crows board) commentary on SPP is way over the top.

Probably deserves 2 weeks but he was unlucky with the way he was slung onto him.

Some very ordinary/racist human beings around.

The fact it gets likes and quotes rather than a 'carn mate' says a lot about the general populace.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The media headlines and online (including the Crows board) commentary on SPP is way over the top.

Probably deserves 2 weeks but he was unlucky with the way he was slung onto him.

Some very ordinary/racist human beings around.

The fact it gets likes and quotes rather than a 'carn mate' says a lot about the general populace.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did he collect the head or was it all torso?

Absolutely nothing spp did changed that outcome

Turning and bracing was a bad look, but he doesn’t do that and Keane still gets hit high, just 2 players would be concussed.

The amount of time from Keane being turned into him and contact I’ve shown from stills was fractions of a second.

My stills show the whole thing taking approximately 1 second, the time from Keane being taken and turned around into SPP is a fraction of that second.

Such is the absurdity of our rules and the mrp.

Has SPP been hung, drawn and quartered yet?

Meanwhile braynard maynard literally ends a bloke's career, the defence says he's a human frisbee and the AFL let's him off so he can win a flag.

Kinda sick of how ridiculous this competition is. Just the furthest thing possible from any kind of level playing field.
Didn't see the match, just the news service real time incident repeated a few times.
Did Croms players remonstrate, out of curiosity?

The 2024 AFL Tribunal Guidelines book isn't out yet, usually comes out at start March and two weeks ago when when they announced the Maynard bump change of rules and some other interpretations and banning whistling on the interchange bench the AFL said;

All amendments approved by the AFL Commission to the Laws of the Game, AFL Tribunal Guidelines and AFL Regulations and Rules will be updated and come into effect immediately ahead of the start of the 2024 Toyota Premiership Season.

Don't know if that means immediately on the 6th of February when the announcement was or after the Community Series round.

But here is the 2023 Matrix and the definition of Intentional. Can't see Sam being charged with intentional conduct. I reckon it goes straight to the Tribunal.

1708753170321.png

1708753251858.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1912094View attachment 1912095View attachment 1912096View attachment 1912097

The clock here shows that 1 second elapsed in the time that Keane went from ball in hand on one side of Rioli to being tackled and turned to the other side and dipping down.

If this was a vic player he would get off.
Spp will get done.
Your pics are incomplete. Below is what occurs in between your 3rd and 4th pics - a clear swivel of his body which results in a shoulder charge, flush on old-mate's jaw. Yes it occurs very quickly, but that is irrelevant! He still had the time to CHOOSE to swivel ... He therefore had the equal amount of time to CHOOSE NOT TO!

Mate, I am a fan of SPP, am as anti-Vic biased, and as big of a conspiracy theorist as anyone here. But if any player from any club did what SPP did at this point in time, they will get weeks! And deservedly so! It was a dumb thing to do on a guy that was already well tackled.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png

Your pics are incomplete. Below is what occurs in between your 3rd and 4th pics - a clear swivel of his body which results in a shoulder charge, flush on old-mate's jaw. Yes it occurs very quickly, but that is irrelevant! He still had the time to CHOOSE to swivel ... He therefore had the equal amount of time to CHOOSE NOT TO!

Mate, I am a fan of SPP, am as anti-Vic biased, and as big of a conspiracy theorist as anyone here. But if any player from any club did what SPP did at this point in time, they will get weeks! And deservedly so! It was a dumb thing to do on a guy that was already well tackled.

View attachment 1912431
View attachment 1912433
View attachment 1912435
View attachment 1912436
View attachment 1912437
View attachment 1912439

You’re talking about decision making without the context that is staring you in the face.

Look at the time on each of those screenshots.

From when Rioli tackles Keane to impact approx 1 second passes.

From when Rioli turns Keane into spp, when any decision can be made , is a fraction of that 1 second. No time passes on the counter. It’s clearly fractions of a second.

I’m not sure what kind of action you’re expecting from spp at that point, there’s only two options. Brace and protect yourself or not. It made zero impact on the outcome. He was hitting Keane high either way. In theory he should not have turned, let them both get concussed and then it doesn’t look as bad on spp. What a world.

You have no right to contest the ball like that in this day and age. You are simply not permitted to run at an opponent in such a reckless manner, make high contact and knock the player out. Intent is entirely irrelevant. It's a careless act that concussed an opponent. That action leads to that outcome and the consequence is abundantly clear. You have three alternatives to what SPP did:

1) Engage in the contest in a tackling motion
2) Charge in the manner he did but don't make high contact
3) Do not contest at all as 33 other players on the ground at the time managed to do

It's stupidity. Yes it's split second stupidity but it's stupidity nonetheless. Does anyone think a smart player like Travis Boak or Scott Pendlebury is going to get suspended for something like that? No chance. SPP walks a fine line with his approach to the game and every now and then he's going to get burnt. It's up to the coaching staff to decide if the upside of his game style outweighs the downside of this sort of thing happening occasionally.

View attachment 1912431
View attachment 1912433
View attachment 1912435
View attachment 1912436
View attachment 1912437
View attachment 1912439
I agree it's a dumb action and he deserves to get games (although perhaps not the amount some are crying out for). The only way I can see this being argued down a little is that he's bracing for impact while Keane's body lowered as part of the tackle. If Rioli wasn't dragging him down it would have likely hit shoulder to shoulder.

But hey, he chose the action, he caught the head in a big way, he and every other player that creates that kind of impact needs to get games.

This is exactly like the Maynard one. Wasn't trying to knock a guy out but went too hard into the contest and collected a bloke in the head with his shoulder. It'll be 3+ weeks. Stupid and exactly the sort of action that needs to be removed from the game.

It sucks to lose him for 3 weeks but we're already not capable of winning the flag this year due to our coach, so I guess it means someone else will get a run in his role.

This is exactly like the Maynard one. Wasn't trying to knock a guy out but went too hard into the contest and collected a bloke in the head with his shoulder. It'll be 3+ weeks. Stupid and exactly the sort of action that needs to be removed from the game.

It sucks to lose him for 3 weeks but we're already not capable of winning the flag this year due to our coach, so I guess it means someone else will get a run in his role.

It’s not remotely like the Maynard one at all.

Maynard saw the bloke and ran and jumped into him late.

Nobody shoved Brayshaw into Maynard’s path.

You have no right to contest the ball like that in this day and age. You are simply not permitted to run at an opponent in such a reckless manner, make high contact and knock the player out. Intent is entirely irrelevant. It's a careless act that concussed an opponent. That action leads to that outcome and the consequence is abundantly clear. You have three alternatives to what SPP did:

1) Engage in the contest in a tackling motion
2) Charge in the manner he did but don't make high contact
3) Do not contest at all as 33 other players on the ground at the time managed to do

It's stupidity. Yes it's split second stupidity but it's stupidity nonetheless. Does anyone think a smart player like Travis Boak or Scott Pendlebury is going to get suspended for something like that? No chance. SPP walks a fine line with his approach to the game and every now and then he's going to get burnt. It's up to the coaching staff to decide if the upside of his game style outweighs the downside of this sort of thing happening occasionally.

This is absurd. Spp was going in to a contest, the same thing we all, and you as well I bet, laud players like butters for doing and the other way condemn players like Amon tarring him with the “squib” label for half a decade over some perceived action in a split second.

As for your 3 alternatives

1. There’s absolutely zero chance he could have tackled there. I’ve shown clearly with those screenshots he had fractions of a second. Most people could barely react in time to do more than blink but judge others for not laying out a risk assessment and plotting a safe course in that time.

Could he have made a tackling motion once Keane was turned into him? If he did try all he would have achieved is hitting Keane face on and probably be in hospital having facial reconstructive surgery right now.

2. Don’t make high contact ? Again, fractions of a second after Keane was turned into him. Your asking spp to have teleporting powers here

3. Do not contest as 33 players ?

There’s so much wrong with this

A) other players did contest it. Rioli laid the tackle lol
B) why would the crows be trying to contest their own possession? Why are they counted in there carn.
C) if you’re seriously saying players should not contest why the hell do you follow football?

If you’re serious don’t ever call one of our players soft ever again.

As for Boak and pendles I’m not sure what you’re on about. Neither player is remotely known for their tackling (outside of stoppages) and pressure etc. they’re offensive players who aren’t told to go out there and hunt players and apply defensive pressure. Of course if you’re going to cherry pick there’s going to be players who’ve never had trouble at the tribunal. Hardly a great measuring stick.

Yes spp is a big strong lad who goes hard, like many other players in our sport who don’t wear the “thug” brush.

Question. Should we tell butters to can his attack or simply trade him now? Maybe there’s a Nathan lonie clone ready to play flag football we can trade for.

And so it begins.

The opinion of a neurologist whose profession are understandably professionally opposed to any potential collision causing head trauma are calling for a 'heavy penalty' of at least four weeks for SPP to 'send a message'.

And guess who pops up to back the call...David King.

There is zero chance this gets a fair, independent and unbiased assessment based on the incident and AFL rules. This is all about the 'look'

'I’m not apologetic - this must be a severe penalty. I’m sick of this conversation,” King posted on social platform X.'

Retired: [PLAYERCARD]Angus Brayshaw[/PLAYERCARD].

Neurophysiologist Dr Alan Pearce, who has conducted extensive research on sports-related concussion, and North Melbourne great David King are calling for the MRO to slap Powell-Pepper with a heavy penalty. Pearce said a four-game ban was required to back up the AFL’s claims that it was serious about the issue.​

“If the AFL is serious about athlete health and wellbeing, and it’s meant to be their greatest priority, then he needs to have at least three weeks off, if not four – preferably four,” Pearce told this masthead on Saturday.

“It’s more about the AFL’s rhetoric around this than criticism of the player. I’m more about the fact they keep talking about player health and wellbeing as their greatest priority. Well, let’s see it.

This is absurd. Spp was going in to a contest, the same thing we all, and you as well I bet, laud players like butters for doing and the other way condemn players like Amon tarring him with the “squib” label for half a decade over some perceived action in a split second.

As for your 3 alternatives

1. There’s absolutely zero chance he could have tackled there. I’ve shown clearly with those screenshots he had fractions of a second. Most people could barely react in time to do more than blink but judge others for not laying out a risk assessment and plotting a safe course in that time.

Could he have made a tackling motion once Keane was turned into him? If he did try all he would have achieved is hitting Keane face on and probably be in hospital having facial reconstructive surgery right now.

2. Don’t make high contact ? Again, fractions of a second after Keane was turned into him. Your asking spp to have teleporting powers here

3. Do not contest as 33 players ?

There’s so much wrong with this

A) other players did contest it. Rioli laid the tackle lol
B) why would the crows be trying to contest their own possession? Why are they counted in there carn.
C) if you’re seriously saying players should not contest why the hell do you follow football?

If you’re serious don’t ever call one of our players soft ever again.

As for Boak and pendles I’m not sure what you’re on about. Neither player is remotely known for their tackling (outside of stoppages) and pressure etc. they’re offensive players who aren’t told to go out there and hunt players and apply defensive pressure. Of course if you’re going to cherry pick there’s going to be players who’ve never had trouble at the tribunal. Hardly a great measuring stick.

Yes spp is a big strong lad who goes hard, like many other players in our sport who don’t wear the “thug” brush.

Question. Should we tell butters to can his attack or simply trade him now? Maybe there’s a Nathan lonie clone ready to play flag football we can trade for.

SPP wasn't blindsided, he didn't get pushed, he had time to assess the contest and threw himself into it. He went in too hard into a contest where a bloke was already being tackled, ran out of room and hit him in the head with his shoulder.

Much like the AFL prosecutor with the Maynard case, you're looking too closely at what happens in the last second.

If you can't go into a contest with enough control to avoid hitting someone forcefully to the head with your shoulder, you've gone in too hard. He had to be more careful.

SPP is usually very good at hitting a contest hard but fair, but he missed here.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back