List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

In fairness his point was regarding having one big hand at one draft and just assuming that’s going to result in a raft of good picks when there’s past instances - from your club no less - where it hasn’t worked out that way. The Suns are another example. Equally as your own club has shown you might have years where you don’t have as many but you can ace it and you can set yourself up perfectly
I disagree. If you read his opening line he was having a go at Richmond’s drafting history first, and then chose justify by highlighting a draft from 20 years ago as some sort of evidence, knowing full well the club has nailed plenty of picks post that draft.
All great picks in their own right but they weren't selected in the same year were they?
So you didn’t mean to say Richmond has a “really poor history at the draft”, but actually meant to say “once they had a lot of good draft picks and it didn’t work out for them and that was twenty years ago but I’m a troll so I think it’s still relevant”. Glad we cleared that up.

I disagree. If you read his opening line he was having a go at Richmond’s drafting history first, and then chose justify by highlighting a draft from 20 years ago as some sort of evidence, knowing full well the club has nailed plenty of picks post that draft.

So you didn’t mean to say Richmond has a “really poor history at the draft”, but actually meant to say “once they had a lot of good draft picks and it didn’t work out for them and that was twenty years ago but I’m a troll so I think it’s still relevant”. Glad we cleared that up.
Nah that's not what I meant and you know it

Difference being is we still have premiership players, nank, broad, Vlaustin, balta, lynch, Mcintosh, Prestia, short, plus experienced players like taranto and hopper to help guide the kids. What successful players from a winning culture did the blues have besides Judd? We also have Blair Hartley and Francis Jackson who were the architects of the dynasty, again who did Carlton have?
You are comparing a recent dynasty club with a club who has been in the wilderness for 30 years.
This is just my opinion.

I am a bit shocked that Shai Bolton wants to be traded out and to head back to WA. Turns 26 in december. I can see richmond slowly build up again in 4 seasons. Finish bottom 4 in 2025 and 2026. Bottom 6 in 2027 with 9 or 10 or 11 wins. Then finals in 2028. Shai Bolton would be 30 by december of 2028.

Liam baker turns 27 in January. Baker isnt elite but he is a solid player. I would be giving him a 1 or 2 year extension and make him leverage the free agency rule for his next contract.

Daniel Rioli is another one. Yeah he turns 28 in April of next season but Richmond is happy to trade him despite 2 years left.

I would be trading one of those blokes not all 3.

No offense to richmond fans, its scarily similar rebuild to North Melbourne.

I have seen the dockers rebuild from 2016 to 2021. It was tough but I tolerated it. Dockers last finals win under ross lyon was in 2015 vs the swans. We had to rebuild around a 25 year old walters, a 24 year old fyfe and 30 year old mundy.

When the dockers won their next final in 2022 vs the dogs a 32 year old Michael Walters and 37 year old David mundy were the only 2 blokes left from the 2015 Qualifying final vs the swans. Fyfe didnt count as he didnt play in that 2022 elim final win due to injury.

It’s probably just me, but it’s quite amazing watching media types spur on Richmond to trade out as many senior players as possible to grab a bunch of kids after finishing last in 2024 with just 2 wins, considering that when Hawthorn traded out just the 2 senior players tanking allegations were leveled at the club for a good 8 months after trade week.

Richmond are quite likely looking at being as uncompetitive a team as we’ve seen in the last 15 years with the amount of experience headed out the door, and will be clear favourites for the 2025 wooden spoon.

After how many 15 goal beltings will the media flip on Richmond, compare their formline to Fitzroy’s last few years of heavy defeats and start using the “it’s a form of tanking” lines?
We haven't asked anyone to leave at all. If you are a highly successful club like we were, you are penalized with low draft picks for years on end.
Besides that, Hawthorn did the exact same thing and were an uncompetitive rabble for years on end.

David King advocating that Tigers should trade Lynch, because apparently if you don’t you’re “half pregnant in your rebuild”.
David King has a massive head aye, I reckon his noggin' could possibly be preggo too. Gorilla head. There's a little baby Kingy sitting in that skull looking for the exit, poor thing. That's why he talks so much shit, gotta get rid of the baby's waste somehow.
A friend of mine works quite high up in a Melbourne hospital and has given me this information so I know for a fact that it's true.

It’s exactly what you stated. How else can it be interpreted when you highlight the failure of 2004 draft and ignore the successes since?
I specified when Richmond had a draft hand like they'll have this year. Can you not read?

This is just my opinion.

I am a bit shocked that Shai Bolton wants to be traded out and to head back to WA. Turns 26 in december. I can see richmond slowly build up again in 4 seasons. Finish bottom 4 in 2025 and 2026. Bottom 6 in 2027 with 9 or 10 or 11 wins. Then finals in 2028. Shai Bolton would be 30 by december of 2028.

Liam baker turns 27 in January. Baker isnt elite but he is a solid player. I would be giving him a 1 or 2 year extension and make him leverage the free agency rule for his next contract.

Daniel Rioli is another one. Yeah he turns 28 in April of next season but Richmond is happy to trade him despite 2 years left.

I would be trading one of those blokes not all 3.

No offense to richmond fans, its scarily similar rebuild to North Melbourne.

I have seen the dockers rebuild from 2016 to 2021. It was tough but I tolerated it. Dockers last finals win under ross lyon was in 2015 vs the swans. We had to rebuild around a 25 year old walters, a 24 year old fyfe and 30 year old mundy.

When the dockers won their next final in 2022 vs the dogs a 32 year old Michael Walters and 37 year old David mundy were the only 2 blokes left from the 2015 Qualifying final vs the swans. Fyfe didnt count as he didnt play in that 2022 elim final win due to injury.
Fair points and I think that’s why we wouldn’t mind holding onto Bolton if we don’t get a really good deal, same with Rioli. Baker is a bit different as he’s not under contract, can’t really make him sign a 1-2 year contract as he wants to get home now.
This is supposed to be a very deep draft, the club sees the opportunity of getting 3-5 elite kids to propel the rebuild, we’ll add another few in 25 and then 26 as well. We are also a bit different to north as we do have around 8-10 very experienced premiership players still playing that will be there to help guide the kids.
I personally love this approach by the club and 100% agree with it, obviously there are no guarantees though and we’ll see in a few years if it was the right path to take.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back