Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - 23AA/24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be a bit of poor form , may have a small injury too. But I think we are trying to bring him further up the ground a bit during games so we are not so reliant on him to kick our goals. Over time this will help us .

Yeh not sure filling in for Tony Jones and having a good old laugh for 120 mins is wise, considering he’s been invisible this year outside of 5 quarters of footy.

Ask Dennis.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dennis was a god no doubt, and I’ll forever grateful for what he did, and his advice around staying away from the media, well the proof is in the pudding.

But if the club had its time again (apart from changing many list decisions in the last 20 years), would it of chucked likeable players in front of cameras or journalists during a stretch where we were at our most marketable. David King is bloody everywhere now, but hardly said boo when he played.

Now I don’t watch crap like Sunday footy show, but I know young kids froth on it and shows like it. Just like we all did when we were young. So to get one of our most recognisable and best players in front of young impressionable eyes (with mates at school saying “why would you go for North, they’re sh*t”), seems a big win.

Dennis was a god no doubt, and I’ll forever grateful for what he did, and his advice around staying away from the media, well the proof is in the pudding.

But if the club had its time again (apart from changing many list decisions in the last 20 years), would it of chucked likeable players in front of cameras or journalists during a stretch where we were at our most marketable. David King is bloody everywhere now, but hardly said boo when he played.

Now I don’t watch crap like Sunday footy show, but I know young kids froth on it and shows like it. Just like we all did when we were young. So to get one of our most recognisable and best players in front of young impressionable eyes (with mates at school saying “why would you go for North, they’re sh*t”), seems a big win.
I think it's just because he hasn't kicked a goal in two weeks. Pretty easy for anyone in the media to take a potshot about priorities - it's not hard to see someone saying something like "spend more time working out how to take a contested mark and less time working on your impressions".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sheezel is the face going forward, solid citizen, well spoken and can play,

I think it's just because he hasn't kicked a goal in two weeks. Pretty easy for anyone in the media to take a potshot about priorities - it's not hard to see someone saying something like "spend more time working out how to take a contested mark and less time working on your impressions".

Yeah right. I agree on the potshots call. But the media actually like Larkey. They are amazed at his output given the garbage around him.

The ones that would take the potshots are on this forum.

Yeah right. I agree on the potshots call. But the media actually like Larkey. They are amazed at his output given the garbage around him.

The ones that would take the potshots are on this forum.
We want to be upset by our club being ignored by media pundits but then also have our players turn down opportunities in the media.

We want to be upset by our club being ignored by media pundits but then also have our players turn down opportunities in the media.
Larkey is great in the media but his focus should be on getting his form right. Hopefully the big man turns it on against the Suns. He's a gun but he has been poor

Larkey is great in the media but his focus should be on getting his form right. Hopefully the big man turns it on against the Suns. He's a gun but he has been poor
So he needs to become a recluse to get his form right?

I have no idea in Souva's case but personally I'm happy with the perception that he's focussed only on his footy. We need him firing.
There's plenty of hours in the week to give a couple of hours up in a media appearance and still be putting more then enough focus into his footy.

It's only benefitting the club having a good media presence with guys that present themselves well to the wider football community.

Definitely. I don't think Larkey missing one show hurts that hotchilli.
I agree with you there.

I just get frustrated by the pocket of fans who still equate media availability to form.

Does anyone know if media commitments = reduced other NMFC commitments? And if it does, where do the deductions come from? The players aren't full time, does stuff like this come out of the clubs time or his? If the answer to that isn't clear any upset is bullshit. If it's NMFC time, try to convince people it's not worth the opportunity cost to NMFC. ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Back