List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading that the recruiters briefed Richardson on the decision and he was 'comfortable' with it. I'm sure if I could be bothered I could find the article.

Read the same article.

When those people financially support me, I would listen to them.

I work in a membership organization with 150k members. If a member is not happy with our service, we don't go around being derisive, but actually address their concerns.

these people financially support our organization. Without them we are nothing, so the member is No.1 and everything else is secondary.

As for their abilities and professionalism. Well the powers that be have led us to the glorious position of wooden spooner and probably next season as well.

Forgive me when I don't have blind faith in their abilities. Remember the bloke who put the plan in place is now gone.
Fair enough Joff.

But in context. A social media rumour starts about the Saints taking McCartin when almost everyone is expecting, and wanting, to draft Petracca.

A lot of the commentary is highly emotional and does call into question the brain power and competancy of the recruiters. Some threaten to tear up memberships or not renew. This is based on a rumour that may or may not have any basis.

In those circumstances, and before we've even announced our selection, I'm not sure what Ahmeet or anyone else can do to address the concerns of the members.

He has probably selected a few Twitterers who he has judged to be (rightly or wrongly) calm about the news and simply sent a DM along the lines of "don't worry a lot of time, effort and resources has gone into our 4 selections" etc.

I for one was happy to recieve that DM and think the criticism of the bloke is a little unfair.

My opinion anyway.

noice emotive choice of words there rahul. go back and read the statements from swan districts, his welfare manager, his parents and his player manager BEFORE the first draft. then read it again before the 2nd draft. then read hawthorns statement

my point is players will be pumped up, flaws often very rarely admitted or glossed over. they are sold to clubs

take it to the extreme like you have done and doesnt that prove my point? if they are ok with hiding something so serious and over-sell him to clubs what else would they brush over that is considered on the more minor scale

anyways i am just repeating what i have heard... that there were minor concerns over his attitude that may have turned into bigger concerns, which i can believe and see. its also been reported that his testing was middle of the road
His testing was not poor, he tested in the top 40% for every one of his physical tests, not what was expected of an explosive player like Petracca but certainly not 'middle of the road'. As for concerns with his attitude, these are completely different, there are concerns that CP is arrogant while with Dayle Garlett there were bigger things to worry about.

Are you still backing in Petracca Rahul ?
To be #1 pick, not anymore, but I think he's the best bet for the Rising Star (along with Gus Brayshaw).

His testing was not poor, he tested in the top 40% for every one of his physical tests, not what was expected of an explosive player like Petracca but certainly not 'middle of the road'. As for concerns with his attitude, these are completely different, there are concerns that CP is arrogant while with Dayle Garlett there were bigger things to worry about.

To be #1 pick, not anymore, but I think he's the best bet for the Rising Star (along with Gus Brayshaw).

i'm happy to be wrong but i'm just repeating what i have heard and theres numerous articles/tweets out there on the testing theory.

on dayle and CPs attitude, you are preaching to the converted. pretty sure i said dayles issues were much more serious than people thought well before any of this stuff hit. i was pretty strong on it when people were considering him as a draft prospect. i've never once said CPs issues are the same as garletts, just that his attitude was a minor concern that may have turned into a bigger concern.

you've completely missed the point of my post though....

To even mention Petracca's attitude in the same sentence as Garlett's attitude is beyond ridiculous, Petracca is arrogant and loves himself but what AFL players aren't? Petracca is a hard worker and is willing to listen and learn, his personality isn't a major flaw that it should impact our decision to draft him. I played footy with him last year, i would know.

Where is the not like button. That will be a bust if that's what we end up with. We get the number one pick in a year with a bunch of spuds in contention and then use the picks we have to pick up the remnants of rest of the comps pickings. At least we gave up Stanley for the privilege. Bring back the peoples Pelican and get rid these clowns.
It may very well be what we end up with if there are no sliders.... :(

thats why i posted it

To even mention Petracca's attitude in the same sentence as Garlett's attitude is beyond ridiculous, Petracca is arrogant and loves himself but what AFL players aren't? Petracca is a hard worker and is willing to listen and learn, his personality isn't a major flaw that it should impact our decision to draft him. I played footy with him last year, i would know.

god, when did i say they were the same?

can you read or are you only able to post?

Well clubs certainly don't go around bagging players so regardless of who we get we won't officially know why we didn't pick the other one.

Only that we're absolutely rapt to have secured "insert name here"

We will only ever hear rumours and innuendos about the bloke we passed on.

Well clubs certainly don't go around bagging players so regardless of who we get we won't officially know why we didn't pick the other one.

Only that we're absolutely rapt to have secured "insert name here"

We will only ever hear rumours and innuendos about the bloke we passed on.

spot on!!!! let alone their feeder club that receives money when their player is drafted. the sum of money is tied to what round they are drafted in. so its in their interest to sell the player.

family have obvious interests.

it was all i was trying to say and used an obvious example of it, only to be flamed

the petracca attitude and testing issues are not new. its been thrown about quite openly by those in the media.

just as much as mccartins lack of height etc.

god, when did i say they were the same?

god, when did i say you said they were the same?

You did imply that Petracca was hiding things from recruiters similar to what Garlett did.

my own personal opinion is that neither petracca or mccartin are perfect players. both have valid concerns. personally i think petracca is the safe option. i'm not sold on mccartin and probably wouldnt select him as my 5th best player.

personally i think another player will be the best of this draft

but hey i'm happy to back full time recruiters in. i couldnt do their job even if i wanted too. but i'm not going to blindly trust them and write it in as a success yet as they havent got the runs on the board just yet. we havent seen the players drafted to date really establish themselves and the early call is we've only had 1 blinder of a draft, 2 good ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With picking McCartin I'm quite confused as to why we didn't accept 4 and 7 for 1 now. It feels like at that time we wanted Petracca but have changed.

I get that feeling also (re wanting Petracca during trade period).....However chances are neither Petracca OR McCartin are avail at #4 and perhaps we rate both higher than the players avail at 4 and 7.

(also, it was rumoured to be 1 and 21 for 4 and 7).

The more economic decision would be for the saints to pick petracca.
If we pick petRUCCKA = more memberships
If we pick McCartin = less memberships
I'm not saying I would stop going to games, but that's just reality in my opinion. I'm pretty sure all saints fans were so excited to see petracca wear the saints jumper next year... but now... :( there's a bit too much unrest

With picking McCartin I'm quite confused as to why we didn't accept 4 and 7 for 1 now. It feels like at that time we wanted Petracca but have changed.
* Unconfirmed that 4 was actually offered.
* McCartin would most likely be gone by pick 4 in any event

Just sayin'

The more economic decision would be for the saints to pick petracca.
If we pick petRUCCKA = more memberships
If we pick McCartin = less memberships
I'm not saying I would stop going to games, but that's just reality in my opinion. I'm pretty sure all saints fans were so excited to see petracca wear the saints jumper next year... but now... :( there's a bit too much unrest

Indeed. Last year our supporters were so excited about Billings, Dunstan and Acres that they turned up in record numbers.

In 2014, our average home game attendance dropped to below 24,000 while our membership numbers were down approximately 2,000 to 30,627.

Oh...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back