• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all of you are thinking that we'll draft for needs and not talent, but there's no one worth pushing up based off needs. No clearly AFL standard small forwards and all the ruckmen are just low quality ruckmen with no real weapon.

This year's MSD is a unique one where the Vic 18 year olds from last year that no one knew about are able to be drafted. This will never happen again, so let's pick off talent. I'd be stoked if we took Parnell as personally I'd put him in the 1st/2nd round of the national draft at this stage. He has definitely been one of the best performed in the NAB League. You could almost argue that he's a carbon copy of Caleb Daniel in his playing style and elite kick and high footy IQ.

Exactly, there must be some kids who had an ordinary bottom age year in 2019 that have come on massively in the last 12 months. They probably won’t be on the radar of the media either as it’s too early for recruiters to be talking about them.

That’s who we should be targeting with pick 4 (I’m sure Haggis is all over it).

Exactly, there must be some kids who had an ordinary bottom age year in 2019 that have come on massively in the last 12 months. They probably won’t be on the radar of the media either as it’s too early for recruiters to be talking about them.

That’s who we should be targeting with pick 4 (I’m sure Haggis is all over it).

I think you, and most others, underrate how good scouting has got over the last 10 years.

It's not a solved game, and there are players who'll fit under the cracks, but the likelihood is all we'll see from this draft is some rucks, and some project players who are likely rookie picks at season end coming abroad, most who'll amount to nothing as an AFL player, and Ben Edwards.

We picked Bryce Gibbs with pick 1 in last year's rookie draft so it would be a surprise for us to take anyone but Davis with our pick
C'mon, you're better than that.

I think you, and most others, underrate how good scouting has got over the last 10 years.

It's not a solved game, and there are players who'll fit under the cracks, but the likelihood is all we'll see from this draft is some rucks, and some project players who are likely rookie picks at season end coming abroad, most who'll amount to nothing as an AFL player, and Ben Edwards.
Ben Edwards?

I haven't heard anyone else mention him as a possible drafter?

Ben Edwards?

I haven't heard anyone else mention him as a possible drafter?

Sorry, Jacob not Ben.

Too many Edwards floating around the traps. Please delist/not draft 3.

Sorry, Jacob not Ben.

Too many Edwards floating around the traps. Please delist/not draft 3.

Weirdly, Ben Edwards hasn't been bad in the SANFL but he seems like a real smokie to ever get drafted ...

We need an xfactor, indigenous, electric and attacking small forward type.. every good performing club has one.. (apart from the dogs) some have two..

Tigers have bolton and rioli
Brisbane have charles
WC have ryan and rioli
Dees have kozzie

In 2017 we had eddie and charlie

Etc etc..

Having one of these types of lads is a must. They just make your forward line, and your attacking play in general, just a thousand times more dangerous.

Newchurch is showing signs but he looks to lack the ability to put enough pressure on the opposition defense.

We need to grab tyrone... he looks to be the complete package.

And when it comes to these lads.. height isnt a factor in deciding whether to take the lad.. these guys seem to have inbuilt springs in their legs!.. what they lack in height they more than make up for in leaping abilities..

Is that Newchurch?

I agree 100% though. The xfactor indigenous lads are fantastic to watch and provide so much forward pressure.

Is that Newchurch?

I agree 100% though. The xfactor indigenous lads are fantastic to watch and provide so much forward pressure.
Newchurch is a long way off it right at this minute.. and may never get there..

I’m hoping he does though because I like the kids skills and speed.

Maybe grabbing Thorne and throwing him in with Newchurch might actually help.. Thorne’s 20 in a couple of weeks.. is a little bit older than newie.. could help show newchurch the way.. bring him out of his shell and show him how its done..

Thorne loves applying pressure, tackles to inflict hurt.. has all the tricks.. just is small in stature.. But that hasnt stopped him putting in dominant performances against the men in the WAFL..

I'm struggling to see us select someone that's not already in the state
That would be a ridiculously insular thing to do..

So its a possibility with the current mob running the show..

We need a small forward.. nicksy even said as much just over two weeks ago.. said thats what we’d be looking for if anything..

Stengle is out of the question...
The most highly rated one is Thorne.

If we dont pick him because hes “from another state” then we’re dumb ****s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My main wish is that we use two selections (ideally three, but I'd be content with two), not the one pick that is being predicted. It would be a waste of an opportunity, as per 2019 when we passed on our MS pick.

The one thing we don't need is another pocket-sized frantic in & under small or 'hard-nosed' inside midfielder who racks up 28 touches per game with their elite 'work-rate'. We need a backup ruck, possibly one more KPD, maybe a small forward and ANYONE with some outside pace and class who can help get the ball away from the contest.

If we draft another small midfielder who has 20 handballs a game and struggles to kick 40 metres with any accuracy but has a great 'character' I will lose it

The one thing we don't need is another pocket-sized frantic in & under small or 'hard-nosed' inside midfielder who racks up 28 touches per game with their elite 'work-rate'. We need a backup ruck, possibly one more KPD, maybe a small forward and ANYONE with some outside pace and class who can help get the ball away from the contest.

If we draft another small midfielder who has 20 handballs a game and struggles to kick 40 metres with any accuracy but has a great 'character' I will lose it
Another KPD?!?! That is literally the last thing we need.

No, the last thing we need is another small ball winning midfielder. Talia is 29 and KPDs take time to develop, let alone the fact we got slaughtered on the weekend by Richmond without Tom Lynch.

Unfortunately no. We do need a KPD badly. Murray is not at the level, McAsey is looking like another **** up from Hamish at this point (still has time but offers very little right now), and Talia is coming to the end of his career. We have a massive gap in our list and I wouldn't be averse to trading in a mature age KPD as a stop-gap because getting monstered by KPF's every week if going to be a big problem moving forward. Imagine how ****ed we'd be if Butts went down.

I will be happy if the next eight players we draft are mids. I cannot believe ppl gripe about our kpp stocks when our midfield is far and away the worst in the comp.
Nobody denies that we badly need mids but we need A-graders and we'll need to acquire those at the pointy end of the draft (unless we get lucky with a trade which is unlikely imo). I'm not sure the mids available in the mid-season draft further our rebuild but I'd be keen to see what some of our posters who follow junior footy think about that.

A KPD is a little different because even a blue collar KPD would be a massive help to us right now and Murray and McAsey don't even clear that low bar.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back