• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s the thing:

This is a heavily sold draft. Suddenly it’s massively over corrected in an inexplicable gold rush with crazy offers being made

None of which were accepted though

There’s a simpler explanation.

Now it’s been represented to me that we made an offer of F1 and F2NM to Essendon for 4 & Phillipou

I can run with that. It surprises me that it would be refused but whatever, if we finally reached consensus and satisfied ourselves he was worth it. OK no problem

You can certainly convince me that Dodoro never had any interest in Phillipou or trading and was trying to drum up a crazy market, again, OK no problem whatever.

What I am struggling with is the idea that we wouldn’t have made the same offer to STK - after all it’s the player not the pick we are after.

And I can’t believe in a month of Sundays that STK didn’t bite our hands off. That’s so grotesquely over value, I can’t see how it was refused

the only thing that makes sense is STK hesitating and thinking of Adelaide wants him so bad he must be amazing and we can’t let him go if that Elite Formula one rocket ship of a recruiting team rates him highly - oh wait! 😂😂

Besides the obvious ones in Barnett and Ryan, who is left that might be a good fit for us?

Of the guys I've seen, the two that stood out for me were Cowan and Dowling. Both just look like AFL players to my eyes.

Would love to see us pick a tall like Verrall either late or in the Rookie draft too.
George is top 10 potential, Dowling and Major we can get with later picks, but like them both, and I would absolutely take Keeler. his ceiling is almost Buddy. Absolutely worth the pick at this stage.

Besides the obvious ones in Barnett and Ryan, who is left that might be a good fit for us?

Of the guys I've seen, the two that stood out for me were Cowan and Dowling. Both just look like AFL players to my eyes.

Would love to see us pick a tall like Verrall either late or in the Rookie draft too.
I forgot about Cowan, he'd be an excellent pickup too

Barnett/Ryan/Cowan/Hotton/Burgiel/Magor. Any of them would do me. Hell I'd even take Hayes

Charlie Clarke and Brayden George two others, but maybe not exactly what we need right now. And it sounds like we're not into Keeler, even though I rate him reasonably highly too

This is, of course, if we trade into the 2nd round. If we stay where we are, a guy like Jake Walker is someone I'd take. Rate him over Dowling

I was continuously told to wait as we were setting ourselves up to make moves on Draft Night - well no moves were made and now its wait until the real story comes out how we offered the sun, stars and moon but nobody wanted any light

There are a group of fans who will continue to swallow any BS the club puts out because thinking they (the club) have no idea is counter to how they feel they should support the club

I can't believe how bad the soccer is. The staging is 10x worse than afl. A player will hardly touch the opponent and they'll act like someone shot them with a gun.

Look, it’s so obvious that at some point you have to wonder whether someone even wants to understand

We know as absolute, irrefutable fact certain things:

Picks including 1,2,5,7 have been traded away - That is unprecedented in the modern era.

We also know the AFL media - who have a vested interest in maintaining interest and intrigue in one the AFL’s marquee events, the draft, in what has been a very low key, low expectation class - has been selling the idea of a sudden feeding frenzy from clubs trying to buy back into this draft. A draft other clubs have publicly sold out of relatively cheaply

Not only are these entirely unverified, speculative rumours, they apparently involve massive overs to buy into the draft that has already been sold out of

Lastly, we observed none of these trades being executed despite the allegations of significant overs being offered.

Now, it could be true that there was a sudden and inexplicable market correction across the board, and suddenly multiple parties wanted desperately to buy in and offered to pay up. But equally we are asked to believe that all these massive overs offers were out there but no one took it?

What’s more likely though? That a damp squib of an event got a little mayo, or an entire industry froze at the sudden riches being offered from all comers?

Given the facts of the matter, which include an unprecedented sell off, maybe Dodoro was just trying to create a market - unsuccessfully?

To be fair pick 2 was traded for a bonus pick in the same draft, so west coast must have thought the depth of the draft would hold for top 15 or so picks.

Although there’s no doubt they were counting on the WA factor.

To be fair pick 2 was traded for a bonus pick in the same draft, so west coast must have thought the depth of the draft would hold for top 15 or so picks.

Although there’s no doubt they were counting on the WA factor.

Apparently pick 4 was worth 3 first round picks and more so WC got ripped off badly (almost).

What are the odds, first time in a generation that pick 2 gets traded and they’re gazumped by an incredible almost trade.

With this sort of almost activity what hope for the rest of us.

I hear Port are intrigued by this new almost economy too!

Here’s the thing:

This is a heavily sold draft. Suddenly it’s massively over corrected in an inexplicable gold rush with crazy offers being made

None of which were accepted though

There’s a simpler explanation.

Now it’s been represented to me that we made an offer of F1 and F2NM to Essendon for 4 & Phillipou

I can run with that. It surprises me that it would be refused but whatever, if we finally reached consensus and satisfied ourselves he was worth it. OK no problem

You can certainly convince me that Dodoro never had any interest in Phillipou or trading and was trying to drum up a crazy market, again, OK no problem whatever.

What I am struggling with is the idea that we wouldn’t have made the same offer to STK - after all it’s the player not the pick we are after.

And I can’t believe in a month of Sundays that STK didn’t bite our hands off. That’s so grotesquely over value, I can’t see how it was refused

the only thing that makes sense is STK hesitating and thinking of Adelaide wants him so bad he must be amazing and we can’t let him go if that Elite Formula one rocket ship of a recruiting team rates him highly - oh wait! 😂😂

I don't see why it's so hard to understand why Essendon would pass on an unknown offer (F1 and F2) for pick 4.

If I'm Essendon I'm locking the pick in.

If the Crows had pick 4 today with an SA kid and a VIC kid they liked on the board, it would be an extremely tough decision to trade that out for 2 unknown quantities 12 months from now.

I feel like those picks are likely pick 9 + 22 (after priority picks/matching). Why on Earth would Essendon want to trade pick 4 for pick 9 and 22 when they could put a year into a kid they like?

Agree though on Saints being more realistic but it's still a tough call to go back to the board and it's supporters with a handfull of 2023 magic bean picks when you could have kept the 2022 cow. They look like heros right now with pick 4 guy dropping to them at 10.

Damn man, korea weren't even allowed to take their corner kick. and then the korea coach got a red card. I didn't even know the coach could get a red card lol.

I don't see why it's so hard to understand why Essendon would pass on an unknown offer (F1 and F2) for pick 4.

If the Crows had pick 4 today with an SA kid and a VIC kid they liked on the board, it would be an extremely tough decision to trade that out for 2 unknown quantities 12 months from now.

I feel like those picks are likely pick 9 + 22 (after priority picks/matching). Why on Earth would Essendon want to trade pick 4 for pick 9 and 22 when they could put a year into a kid they like?

Agree though on Saints being more realistic but it's still a tough call to go back to the board and it's supporters with a handfull of 2023 magic bean picks when you could have kept the 2022 cow. They look like heros right now with pick 4 guy dropping to them at 10.

It’s almost like you’ve chosen to deliberately ignore this is a low value draft, where clubs have been selling out of it at a rate largely unseen in the modern era

Once you set that inconvenience aside your argument seems to be that 12 months development is a different type of magic beans that is of primary importance regardless of draft quality

Which I presume means that you’re super excited for McAsey, McHenry & Jones next year.

I put it to you that actually all you care about is the here & now of shiny new toys and as long as you get something now you don’t care all that much about what it is. Which is why you’ve been advocating consistently over the last month to trade future picks for Phillipou because you just want a new toy now ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is the key point. Ain't no way St.Kilda is passing that up.

I was at the game where he tore the Falcons to shreds in the first half, kicked like 4 in the first half alone. He’s got tricks that not many players have, he’s doesn’t need to be quick when he can literally sidestep anyone, Ashcroft gets more of the ball but Sheezel will be better imo, freakish talent.
thanks. i know hes a talent i just don't see him as pick 3 in this crop and i definitely dont see him as even close to a need for north with so many other glaring holes forward and back

if this was our list management we would be jumping up and down going apeshit

I was continuously told to wait as we were setting ourselves up to make moves on Draft Night - well no moves were made and now its wait until the real story comes out how we offered the sun, stars and moon but nobody wanted any light

There are a group of fans who will continue to swallow any BS the club puts out because thinking they (the club) have no idea is counter to how they feel they should support the club

It takes two parties for a move to happen

Adelaide could have put forward offers to make a move up the draft order however you need another club to agree to the offer

Just because a move didn’t happen it doesn’t automatically mean that we just sat on our hands

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you look at transactions, the value of the first round seems clear.

We gave 5 away as quickly as we could. GCS dumped 7 just to lose salary - which Bowes would have done AND stayed. Sydney dicked around making bids while they tried to lock in a trade, presumably because they were struggling to find takers.

Even the Sydney trade - they gave a first up for a middling second this year (potentially at a point where the talent will be REALLY thin) and a F2 and F3, which I'm sure is the real thing they wanted.

This guy has found a way to rationalise saying that paying 5 for Rankine would be pure incompetence and there’s absolutely no way we’d do it. He’s manufactured a way for it to be a great idea and pure genius.

Aren't they contradictory thoughts?

There are people telling you the Crows were going to give away the farm in order to get back into a draft they were successful in trading out of.

When it doesn't happen, that's not a problem with the trading team. It's a problem with the rumour.

The club isn't putting these rumours out. The club is just trading out of the draft.

Aren't they contradictory thoughts?

There are people telling you the Crows were going to give away the farm in order to get back into a draft they were successful in trading out of.

When it doesn't happen, that's not a problem with the trading team. It's a problem with the rumour.

The club isn't putting these rumours out. The club is just trading out of the draft.

Job done, self delusion is now accepted fact. Well done Kristof.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft Discussion

Back