• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know if we offered the same deal down the line to the Gold Coast/Hawks/Saints?
No I don't though I would expect we would have worked the phones pretty hard. Problem was club's wanted players this year not next as most are in the same position as us.

Interesting that he slid to pick 10. If we had done the deal with Essendon we would effectively have given up a pick around 6-8 and a valuable second rounder in a stronger draft.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have offered it but we obviously rated him higher than the clubs who passed on him.

If we want to trade one of our 2023 second rounders into this year are we going to struggle to find any takers? Especially given GWS took a hit? Or are there some teams who don't rate the talent here onwards?

If we want to trade one of our 2023 second rounders into this year are we going to struggle to find any takers? Especially given GWS took a hit? Or are there some teams who don't rate the talent here onwards?
We are rapidly getting to the point where our 2023 R2 picks are worth more than any picks left in this draft so we would be overpaying for a player in this draft if we use one of them..we would want to think that player is really worth it OR we would be expecting to get something back with any pick swap

Yes, the only key thing is what we offered to St Kilda, if anything.
The Twomey draft was out there and the Crows would have been well aware that he was likely to slip to 10. I can't believe that they weren't well prepared to consider making an offer at this point.
It will be of interest to hear what they did. If there was no offer, clearly we were not interested in the Poo. If we made a silly offer and it was refused, then so be it.

In a lot of ways I don’t care about all the almost stuff, whatever was the case it’s over.

I am also happy to believe that multiple things can be true.

I just struggle to believe all of these things are true at the same time.

That seems a bit farfetched.

Still some really decent talent on the board IMO. Coby Burgiel, Olli Horton, Alwyn Davey Jr, Harry Barnett, Lachie Cowan, Jakob Ryan, Lewis Hayes, Charlie Clarke, Sam Gilbey, Tom McCallum, Kaleb Smith, Luke Teal, Jaxon Binns you'd expect most of them will go in the 2nd round.

Then there's a few you'd have a serious look at late/ rookie if we had lost spots.

Why would they take it? Assuming, as most on here do, that Phillipou is a quality talent why would they give him up for say pick 8 and 22 next year?
Saints - like us - need all the talent they can get, particularly in the midfield. Their midfield is no better than ours

Of course they are passing it up. A year with a player that is almost too young to even qualify for this years draft - why would they wait?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So STK need all the talent they can get, and as a result they would turn down more in terms of quantity and quality?

That’s probably not the direction of travel I’d be running with

I’d say clubs will jump at it from here

A little bit of talent left but it’s not a strong draft for depth of talent so I think we can trade in if we want to

Maybe J Ryan or Barnett , not sure of any others we might rate

So STK need all the talent they can get, and as a result they would turn down more in terms of quantity and quality?

So you think Ross will change his modus operandi and look at the long term not the short term?

We are rapidly getting to the point where our 2023 R2 picks are worth more than any picks left in this draft so we would be overpaying for a player in this draft if we use one of them..we would want to think that player is really worth it OR we would be expecting to get something back with any pick swap

That's the bit I don't get. Someone even suggested bundling the two second round picks to get back in. Both picks are going to be top 25 picks next year.

The most we would do is a swap of second round picks imo. Even then it would have to be someone who has really slid down the list.

That's why I asked about next year's third round. Something like that would be more likely. Do we have one?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forced them to use their pick for their Academy player Rowston which left them without the pick to take their targeted player Konstanty who Sydney then swopped on. GWS wanted to to take Konstanty before the expected bid for Rowston came in.
Wonder if that means GWS will use the first pick tonight as the first was consumed earlier than expected.

I think ultimately these list managers / draft strategists have bosses they have to answer to aswell. I don't think it's as simple as pick trades, especially when the picks aren't locked in.

Imagine if Essendon/Saints did that trade and;
  • Phillipou turned into the next Bont
  • or worse, Adelaide did what Sydney did from 2020 to 2021. They finished 16th in 2020, then 6th in 2021. If we finished 10 positions higher in 2023 the traded picks would be around 17 + 22 after priority picks and matched bids. Essendon folks would be getting fired.

I don't buy all this "very clever" stuff regarding pushing pick 23 to next year. To me, it's just normal professional business when you have a FS to consider. I wouldn't have expected anything less from the club. If they hadn't done this, then someone should be fired. ;)

I don't buy all this "very clever" stuff regarding pushing pick 23 to next year. To me, it's just normal professional business when you have a FS to consider. I wouldn't have expected anything less from the club. If they hadn't done this, then someone should be fired. ;)
Tell that to GWS haha

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft Discussion

Back