Autopsy 2023 Rd 2 Blues hold on to beat the reigning premier

Who played well for the Blues in Round 2 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick caveat that Geelong were clearly not firing on all cylinders tonight, but glad we fought it out. Best game I've seen Kennedy play, and McKay put up midfielder numbers covering the ground tonight.

Charlie, Durdin and Motlop bringing the attacking power tonight, with Owies getting on the end a bit to finish. Still have my concerns with his mobility, but you can see that he's making good decisions.

Two rucks clicked into place for us late as a screen for McKay to take a few grabs, but otherwise it's going to require TDK picking up a lot of forward craft to account for the heavy legs he's have after centre bounce work. Pittonet was more mobile than I've seen for a while, but he was also far more selective. Balance isn't right there.

Docherty's fitness is a little bit of a worry to me, and it immediately drags down his disposal by foot. Hope he can iron it out. Newman still probably the first defender I'd replace, but like Owies still making good decisions... just rarely hurts the opposition when he does so.

Grain of salt with this result, but happy we got the win.

Newman? Wow. I'd have him as one of our first picked each week.

**** yeah!

Nervy at the end there, but proud of this group.

Said that the response to a largely disappointing opening game was important.

That was a great response. And I hope it resonates with some who were absurd in the aftermath of that game.

Geelong, bad hangover. Possibly the most un-Geelong performance I’ve seen, but we thoroughly deserved the 4 points. Dominant for much of the evening.

Undefeated through 2, great platform.

Go Blues

A bit worried that McGovern seems to have forgotten how to mark a football.

Not sure if rusty, low on confidence or simply exhausted with a newborn baby.

But would like to see his sticky mitts return ASAP.

Got the Bronx cheer when he took one.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

he took a couple of clutch marks in the 3rd and 4th quarters - the worst thing he did was listen to Docherty calling for the ball and kick it straight to Cameron ....

I liked how Doc owned that. He apologised to Gov str8 away. Was a shit kick by Gov, but Doc called for it wrongly. Demanded absolute precision with a high risk option.

We were a loser Club. As we know, we're learning how to be winners.

View attachment 1637600
Ollie Hollands appreciation society 😍
That's just ridiculous.

First and only time I have ever advocated for a player strongly having seen a bit of him at wodonga and bushies. But gee he's going to be special. Does things that can't be taught

Quite like a bet on the horses and have a Ladbrokes account. For the first time ever tonight I had a bet on the blues head to head because $2.40 was ridiculous (it would seem that some our posters might have framed the odds).

Packaged 2/3 of the winnings on us to win the flag at $11 and the remainder on Ollie for the rising star at $26. Neither might happen but some seriously impressive stuff will happen this year.

Our barometer is Durdin and whilst some of you might scoff at that his forward pressure is infectious.

It’s no coincidence that Owies/Motlop and even Fisher play better when his around.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Durds is fantastic,all heart. Drags his team mates along with him.

1st Quarter:

Carlton Fc Celebration GIF by Carlton Football Club

2nd Quarter:

3rd Quarter:

4th Quarter:

Carlton Fc GIF by Carlton Football Club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was 50k of us.
Thursday night fixture is horrible for crowds but great for tv.

Seems to me that Thursday Night Footy is here to stay, esp once Tassie enters the comp. The shocking/hap hazard weather of Melbourne today didn't help either really.

I don't know if Ed ever gets beaten in a contest...

OK obviously he does sometimes, but geez I feel so safe when he's in a contest these days, he typically either wins the contest and gets the ball out or sticks the tackle. Always in our top few for distance covered as well.
I love it when he wins the contest on his knees and has to handball ..🤭🤭🤭.. was good tonight old Ed - I had hewitt replacing him or owies before tonight now I'm a little unsure who goes out as both went well enough to hold a spot

So much to digest. Lots to love, a bit to be nervous about. All I’ve got atm is a name: Oliver Hollands. In awe of the kid

Remember when we were so excited at our new mids SPS, Dow and LoB? But then they’d play and earn 12 touches.

Hollands is readymade and still has so much ahead of him. He and Walsh together will outrun any opposition on the outside, but also have the heart to put themselves over the ball when needed.

Cowan showing some nice signs too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 2 Blues hold on to beat the reigning premier

Back