Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d say Gold Coast advertising their pick 4 means top end draft pick is gettable. When the growing consensus of this draft seems “there is a clear top 6 or so then a fall off” it justifies the aggressive move.

Also I don’t think it’s unrealistic saying we should’ve been more aggressive in 18’. Port successfully landed a top 5 pick with a worser hand than us.

Every year I want us to trade up, use future picks to do it etc. So I'm not against that in principle.

Maybe it's because I haven't followed the draft AT ALL this year, I'm reluctant to do it (no player I have my heart set on I guess).

I've seen suggestions what we use multiple picks to trade up and take the Tasmanian mid. To me that is just nuts.

GC's pick will land at 6/7, who is the gun mid we can get there that isn't Tasmanian? (I genuinely don't know).

Last edited:

I think an issue is we may already have the core of our midfield moving forward, we just need to see them in the middle more.

I do agree we have a good idea how it'll shake out, pending drafts. We seem confident whatever future midfield has Rachele, Soglio and Pedlar somewhere in it, seeing we haven't been that shy with CBA's for any one of them.

Rachele had games as a no.3 mid. Soglio and Pedlar had both shared time as a no.5 in our set up.

Our main issue is none of them were ready this year to warrant significant midfield minutes. Rachele blew up in games when we tried (plus the whole adding another poor inside player to a midfield that lacked inside play), Soligo had his first full year as a midfielder seeing we routinely used him on the wing, but he looked to tire in the middle part of the year and most of Pedlars more productive games were when we kept him away from having 20-25% CBAs.

All just look like lads who need another preseason before they're ready for that to be a part of their game in any considerable fashion. Which isn't that unusual for a 2nd or 3rd year player. The JHF/Ashcrofts of this world are rare.

I’d say Gold Coast advertising their pick 4 means top end draft pick is gettable. When the growing consensus of this draft seems “there is a clear top 6 or so then a fall off” it justifies the aggressive move.

Also I don’t think it’s unrealistic saying we should’ve been more aggressive in 18’. Port successfully landed a top 5 pick with a worser hand than us.

The thing is, we were aggressive. Like 2021, it was stupid aggressive, not smart, where we threw out a massive offer and tried to court a pick that wasn't going to be moved. Port played that a lot smarter than we did.

Our issue is way worse then being timid - we just didn't read the room, or we didn't rate Rozee highly, either are wrong in hindsight.

Advertising pick 4 is great and all, but who is this player we should be targeting? There isn't any SA players at the top of the draft boards, nor is this shaping as a draft packed full of inside midfielders - which is our only genuine need at the moment. Are we just going to do all this for another forward who in half a decade might become a midfielder? There are some nice KPD prospects as well, alongside a small forward going off the August power rankings.

It's a shame we couldn't woo Day over, this is looking like a draft that we were better off finding a way to get out of the first round.

That's a good point.

There are people suggesting we use multiple picks to trade up and take the best Tasmanian midfielder, like that won't end in tears.
I think we’re now (refreshingly) at a point where we can back our club’s culture. We should well and truly be in premiership contention by the Tassie team’s arrival.

I understand that and thats why i am all for selling the farm with this years picks and our f1 to maniuvre that be it a trade or to get up the draft order. We know GC pick 4 is on the table...lets be bold and out bid the others and get that top rated mid or mid / forward
Will Day would have been the perfect trade in option. Disappointing he stayed at Hawthorn. Need to look for someone like him to trade in or draft.

I think we’re now (refreshingly) at a point where we can back our club’s culture. We should well and truly be in premiership contention by the Tassie team’s arrival.

Agree to disagree.

Doesn't matter how strong the culture is, if we have the best young Tasmanian player on our list, and he's a mid, we wont be able to hold him.

The regular expansion club rules will apply, they (the AFL basically) will be able to sign him in secret, on money no one will be able to match, not just us).

I'm all for being aggressive (I call for it every year) but this would be stupid, fool me twice type stuff.

The thing is, we were aggressive. Like 2021, it was stupid aggressive, not smart, where we threw out a massive offer and tried to court a pick that wasn't going to be moved. Port played that a lot smarter than we did.

Our issue is way worse then being timid - we just didn't read the room, or we didn't rate Rozee highly, either are wrong in hindsight.

Advertising pick 4 is great and all, but who is this player we should be targeting? There isn't any SA players at the top of the draft boards, nor is this shaping as a draft packed full of inside midfielders - which is our only genuine need at the moment. Are we just going to do all this for another forward who in half a decade might become a midfielder? There are some nice KPD prospects as well, alongside a small forward going off the August power rankings.

It's a shame we couldn't woo Day over, this is looking like a draft that we were better off finding a way to get out of.
I agree if we can’t move up we should move out, but I think any of McKercher, Duursma or Sanders are our best shot at securing a top of the line midfielder. The problem is it becomes so barren for midfielders around where our pick is that we have to actively make our range of selections better suited to what we need.

My issue with moving out is that it once again delays when whoever we draft will actually develop into a top liner.

Agree to disagree.

Doesn't matter how strong the culture is, if we have the best young Tasmanian player on our list, and he's a mid, we wont be able to hold him.

The regular expansion club rules will apply, they (the AFL basically) will be able to sign him in secret, on money no one will be able to match, not just us).

I'm all for being aggressive (I call for it every year) but this would be stupid, fool me twice type stuff.
Yep I’m in this camp. This isn’t just a Vic boy going home. The emotional ties to be part of the inaugural Tassie state side will be huge, plus he will be offered obscene money which we won’t compete with.

The AFL will apply some poxy compensation if at all.

We are just asking for trouble and I can’t believe posters want to gamble with multiple quality picks.

And if it does pan out if I read the word hindsight I’m going to hunt them down.

Agree to disagree.

They can't even agree on the stadium down there. Is there any certainty the expansion club is even going to get up. Without a stadium there is no club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree if we can’t move up we should move out, but I think any of McKercher, Duursma or Sanders are our best shot at securing a top of the line midfielder. The problem is it becomes so barren for midfielders around where our pick is that we have to actively make our range of selections better suited to what we need.

My issue with moving out is that it once again delays when whoever we draft will actually develop into a top liner.

Unless we're getting Sanders, no one is developing in a top liner from this draft in time to match up with our first contention window. McKercher, Duursma, and Wilson all read like the standard 4-6 years to get there as an inside player, and we're beginning to be on the clock now due to Dawson emergence as a top-line mid.

We are pretty heavily committed to the Pedlar, Solgio, Rachele trio as the ones to suppliment Dawson/Laird, timing wise. Or we need to hit big on another trade, though I don't think it's a cream of the crop player we're in need of.

It's a shame we couldn't woo Day over, this is looking like a draft that we were better off finding a way to get out of the first round.
I was wondering the same thing. The one thing we're crying out for is a blue chip midfielder. If we can't get one in this year's draft (or use it to trade one in), are we actually better off trying to trade out our first round pick into next year, and try to address needs (eg KPD) with one of our 2nd round picks?

Obviously we've potentially got Welsh FS next year. Having 2 first rounders could give us the option to bundle them up to get in and grab a midfielder ahead of a bid on Welsh. There's also the possibility that the AFL changes the rules next year and requires bids to be matched by a pick within a certain range of the bid rather than a handful of later picks. In that case, having an extra first rounder then would enable us to match an early bid on Welsh (if it comes) and still be in the hunt for a midfielder.

Last year was the time to double down. One of Phillipou and Humphrey were perfect fits for us (Humphrey from same place as Berry). Trade out this years first cos the kid from Glenelg ain't anywhere near first round. But we didn't. As we didn't with Rozee. A definate weakness here, no question. Getting a lot right but not this.

Unless we're getting Sanders, no one is developing in a top liner from this draft in time to match up with our first contention window. McKercher, Duursma, and Wilson all read like the standard 4-6 years to get there as an inside player, and we're beginning to be on the clock now due to Dawson emergence as a top-line mid.

We are pretty heavily committed to the Pedlar, Solgio, Rachele trio as the ones to suppliment Dawson/Laird, timing wise. Or we need to hit big on another trade, though I don't think it's a cream of the crop player we're in need of.
I agree and I’d even be putting Sanders in the 4-6 window with the others. However, my preference is to still go aggressive this year as we don’t know what our currency will be next year (especially with Welsh being a factor), nor how next year’s crop will end up looking like. I still think there’s a good chance for overlap between a player we draft this year and Dawson both producing elite football, potentially alongside Pedlar, Soligo etc, but every year we stall that overlap gets significantly less likely.

Last year was the time to double down. One of Phillipou and Humphrey were perfect fits for us (Humphrey from same place as Berry). Trade out this years first cos the kid from Glenelg ain't anywhere near first round. But we didn't. As we didn't with Rozee. A definate weakness here, no question. Getting a lot right but not this.
We spent last year's first on Rankine, though, and I certainly have no regrets about that. We essentially traded Humphrey / Phillipou for Rankine. It's not often you get the opportunity to bring in talent like that. You take it when you can get it.

I doubt this year's first would have been enticing enough for anybody to give up the top 10 pick we would have needed back then. Wouldn't surprise me if we asked the question and got knocked back.

Agree to disagree.

Maybe..

But what if he moves to Adelaide.. absolutely loves it there, maybe even meets a gorgeous Adelaide girl and decides he doesnt want to return to dreary ol Tassie even with the extra money they may be offering..

We spent last year's first on Rankine, though, and I certainly have no regrets about that. We essentially traded Humphrey / Phillipou for Rankine. It's not often you get the opportunity to bring in talent like that. You take it when you can get it.

I doubt this year's first would have been enticing enough for anybody to give up the top 10 pick we would have needed back then. Wouldn't surprise me if we asked the question and got knocked back.
Others have pointed out that the Geelong steal of that salary dump would have no doubt worked if it was our F1 instead of the GC pick 7.

So last year it could have been

GC
Out - Rankine & Pick 7 & Bowes
In - Pick 5

Geelong
IN - Bowes and Crows F1

Crows
Out - F1 & pick 5
In Rankine + Pick 7

GD were losing their 1st to get Bowes contract off their list so why not do a port style trade and piggy back off that as well

If we take a kPD with our first pick again we might as well fold the fxxkn club..

Trade up and target Dursma or keep our pick and target Darcy Wilson..

I would literally rather we took that small forward nick Watson before we grabbed a KPD.. atleast bringing him in means pedlar, rach and rankine get freed up to play more mid minutes.

And O’sullivan doesnt even sound like he’s ready.. he’d spend two years playing in our Sanfl side.. he aint pushing keane or butts out from R1 next year and halfway through the year we’ll have Murray back..

A back up KPD is as much as we need to add at this point.. get one of those in the rookie draft or supplimentary period ffs..

I understand that and thats why i am all for selling the farm with this years picks and our f1 to maniuvre that be it a trade or to get up the draft order. We know GC pick 4 is on the table...lets be bold and out bid the others and get that top rated mid or mid / forward

So who specifically? Assuming the cost will be our future first , the two second rounders and probably another pick that we need to find (Doedee compo?)

Using that collateral. Who do you get. The only high end mid is McKercher. Is it a guarantee to get him? And he is a Tassie boy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So who specifically? Assuming the cost will be our future first , the two second rounders and probably another pick that we need to find (Doedee compo?)

Using that collateral. Who do you get. The only high end mid is McKercher. Is it a guarantee to get him? And he is a Tassie boy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well if we had not been in flnders ear or in touch with any of the gc mids etc we have been negligent..cast the net with a big contract offer and let the agents know we have the draft collateral to work with the clubs involved.

Be bold and be hyper aggressive

Maybe..

But what if he moves to Adelaide.. absolutely loves it there, maybe even meets a gorgeous Adelaide girl and decides he doesnt want to return to dreary ol Tassie even with the extra money they may be offering..
What do you think is more likely to happen and are you prepared to gamble multiple high picks on a maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back