Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering the same thing. The one thing we're crying out for is a blue chip midfielder. If we can't get one in this year's draft (or use it to trade one in), are we actually better off trying to trade out our first round pick into next year, and try to address needs (eg KPD) with one of our 2nd round picks?

Obviously we've potentially got Welsh FS next year. Having 2 first rounders could give us the option to bundle them up to get in and grab a midfielder ahead of a bid on Welsh. There's also the possibility that the AFL changes the rules next year and requires bids to be matched by a pick within a certain range of the bid rather than a handful of later picks. In that case, having an extra first rounder then would enable us to match an early bid on Welsh (if it comes) and still be in the hunt for a midfielder.
Who trades down with us though if they know a bid on welsh wipes us out..if he is say projected to go top 5 come the end of next year. Other clubs will take us to the cleaners if ee are overloaded with 1sts not high enough to get in before a bid

Others have pointed out that the Geelong steal of that salary dump would have no doubt worked if it was our F1 instead of the GC pick 7.

So last year it could have been

GC
Out - Rankine & Pick 7 & Bowes
In - Pick 5

Geelong
IN - Bowes and Crows F1

Crows
Out - F1 & pick 5
In Rankine + Pick 7

GD were losing their 1st to get Bowes contract off their list so why not do a port style trade and piggy back off that as well
But again, in that case the Cats are essentially trading pick 7 for our future first, which isn't really any more enticing for them than it would have been for the Saints with their pick 10. If they can have GC's pick 7 or our future 1st, where is the incentive for them to take our future first instead of just the guaranteed pick 7? They certainly don't have any incentive to do us a favour, I doubt they like us that much.

But again, in that case the Cats are essentially trading pick 7 for our future first, which isn't really any more enticing for them than it would have been for the Saints with their pick 10. If they can have GC's pick 7 or our future 1st, where is the incentive for them to take our future first instead of just the guaranteed pick 7? They certainly don't have any incentive to do us a favour, I doubt they like us that much.
Geelong make out like bandits with either pick 7 OR our F1 for a salary dump. Why wouldn't they take our F1. So no reason GC don't advertise it as crows f1 to take Bowes. How many cubs was there again trying to nab a high pick to take him?

Geelong make out like bandits with either pick 7 OR our F1 for a salary dump. Why wouldn't they take our F1. So no reason GC don't advertise it as crows f1 to take Bowes. How many cubs was there again trying to nab a high pick to take him?
Like I said, they could get pick 7 guaranteed. They would assume we would see some improvement, so while we had pick 5 last year, chances are that this year's would be further down, and it was. Yeah they'd still be getting a good deal with our future 1st (especially with the contract dodginess they did to spread Bowes's money over 4 years instead of 2), but pick 7 is a better deal. And there's no incentive for them to take the lesser deal. I guess we could have sweetened it with some of the later pick swaps etc we did anyway as part of the Rankine deal but those aren't worth a huge amount. But again, this is all dependent on GC and Geelong willing to work us into that deal instead of keeping them separate. And while that'd work out well for us, there's no real benefit to either of them to do it that way instead of the way it actually got done.

Like I said, they could get pick 7 guaranteed. They would assume we would see some improvement, so while we had pick 5 last year, chances are that this year's would be further down, and it was. Yeah they'd still be getting a good deal with our future 1st (especially with the contract dodginess they did to spread Bowes's money over 4 years instead of 2), but pick 7 is a better deal. And there's no incentive for them to take the lesser deal. I guess we could have sweetened it with some of the later pick swaps etc we did anyway as part of the Rankine deal but those aren't worth a huge amount. But again, this is all dependent on GC and Geelong willing to work us into that deal instead of keeping them separate. And while that'd work out well for us, there's no real benefit to either of them to do it that way instead of the way it actually got done.
Not if we had gone early saying our f1 was up for grabs in any salary dump so we could get that pick 7. GC know pick 5 is theirs for rankine and before they even put pick 7 up, we cut that deal with them for it to come to us as part of the rankine trade with our f1 going to them.

You just know port would have canvassed those opportunities

Unless we're getting Sanders, no one is developing in a top liner from this draft in time to match up with our first contention window. McKercher, Duursma, and Wilson all read like the standard 4-6 years to get there as an inside player, and we're beginning to be on the clock now due to Dawson emergence as a top-line mid.

We are pretty heavily committed to the Pedlar, Solgio, Rachele trio as the ones to suppliment Dawson/Laird, timing wise. Or we need to hit big on another trade, though I don't think it's a cream of the crop player we're in need of.

McKercher is plug and play if you ask me. Just has the balance, poise and speed. The only question mark is the Tassie background otherwise I would be all in for him

Particularly when getting a mid next year will be complicated by where Welsh falls. Unless we have a really poor season we won’t be anywhere near prime mid territory

I would hope we are very actively talking to managers to see who we could trade for that’s out of contract next year and unless there is a likely target - take the punt on 4 years with the Tassie boy because that’s our only option to improve our mids outside of who we have within the next couple of years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maybe..

But what if he moves to Adelaide.. absolutely loves it there, maybe even meets a gorgeous Adelaide girl and decides he doesnt want to return to dreary ol Tassie even with the extra money they may be offering..

Fine, okay, do the deal. Get on the phone and sort it out today.

But you're going to have to feed him and walk him everyday, he's your responsibility.

Last year was the time to double down. One of Phillipou and Humphrey were perfect fits for us (Humphrey from same place as Berry). Trade out this years first cos the kid from Glenelg ain't anywhere near first round. But we didn't. As we didn't with Rozee. A definate weakness here, no question. Getting a lot right but not this.
Yeah we should have definitely hung onto pick 6 and offered gc our 2023 first. What were they gonna do? Take him to the PSD? They would have taken our 2023 1st. We should have taken Humphrey but instead we rolled over as usual.

Last edited:
Others have pointed out that the Geelong steal of that salary dump would have no doubt worked if it was our F1 instead of the GC pick 7.

So last year it could have been

GC
Out - Rankine & Pick 7 & Bowes
In - Pick 5

Geelong
IN - Bowes and Crows F1

Crows
Out - F1 & pick 5
In Rankine + Pick 7

GD were losing their 1st to get Bowes contract off their list so why not do a port style trade and piggy back off that as well
Geelong probably would have preferred our future 1st as well, like everyone they probably thought we would still bottom 4 this year.

That O'Sullivan kid goes alright. I can certainly see the upside.

Like most I wasn't trawling over KPD tape so far this draft process, but was pleasantly surprised.
Yeah he looks like a good KPD prospect.
If we have targeted him I'm happy to have him but would also like a midfielder prospect to come in, especially if Crouch is leaving.

Geelong probably would have preferred our future 1st as well, like everyone they probably thought we would still bottom 4 this year.

In fairness I think Geelong wanted the pick 7 as the play they targeted - Jhy Clark - was available at that pick. So definite preference for them
But when you are getting such a lopsided deal you would think they would have blinked and accepted what was likely to be a decent first rounder for free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness I think Geelong wanted the pick 7 as the play they targeted - Jhy Clark - was available at that pick. So definite preference for them
But when you are getting such a lopsided deal you would think they would have blinked and accepted what was likely to be a decent first rounder for free

Good in theory but ignores real possibility of AFL corruption to get Geelong a local boy to help their rebuild.

Agree to disagree.

Doesn't matter how strong the culture is, if we have the best young Tasmanian player on our list, and he's a mid, we wont be able to hold him.

The regular expansion club rules will apply, they (the AFL basically) will be able to sign him in secret, on money no one will be able to match, not just us).

I'm all for being aggressive (I call for it every year) but this would be stupid, fool me twice type stuff.
Agreed, just like Carlton couldn't hold Stephen Kernahan.

So who specifically? Assuming the cost will be our future first , the two second rounders and probably another pick that we need to find (Doedee compo?)

Using that collateral. Who do you get. The only high end mid is McKercher. Is it a guarantee to get him? And he is a Tassie boy

Doesn’t look like this years draft will help us too much, I’d rather trade into next years and just keep a few 2nd or 3rd rounders. Hamish seem to excel with those sort of picks anyway.
If we trade with another club that finishes outside of finals, we could have 2 draft picks before Welsh is bid on and pick 2 top midfielders that we desperately need.

Rash, Pedler and Soligo are coming along well and just faded due to fitness and youth. Keep Crouch for 2 years and hope by the time he retires, we we be ready to hit their prime. We just need to pick up a ruckman though as we have no one at all coming through

Doesn’t look like this years draft will help us too much, I’d rather trade into next years and just keep a few 2nd or 3rd rounders. Hamish seem to excel with those sort of picks anyway.
If we trade with another club that finishes outside of finals, we could have 2 draft picks before Welsh is bid on and pick 2 top midfielders that we desperately need.

Rash, Pedler and Soligo are coming along well and just faded due to fitness and youth. Keep Crouch for 2 years and hope by the time he retires, we we be ready to hit their prime. We just need to pick up a ruckman though as we have no one at all coming through

What if welsh is seen as a top 5 projected pick come the end of ext season? - we get absolutely taken to the cleaners to try and get in above that or we have to again trade out and miss that top end mid. This would be the very worst scenario - kick the can down the road this year - no top mid via draft or trade and then screw ourselves next year with 2 1sts that we have to get rid of or burn in matching welsh and missing that mid we crave OR let another team take Welsh to get the mid...ugly stuff all round

Why are we lizard braining into thinking that because McAsey didn't work out (for many, MANY reasons) it is now illegal to draft a first round key defender? Didn't Mac Andrew almost tear us to pieces last time we played Gold Coast?

By all means I'd prefer we used our first pick elsewhere BTW, just think people are overreacting.

Last edited:
What if welsh is seen as a top 5 projected pick come the end of ext season? - we get absolutely taken to the cleaners to try and get in above that or we have to again trade out and miss that top end mid. This would be the very worst scenario - kick the can down the road this year - no top mid via draft or trade and then screw ourselves next year with 2 1sts that we have to get rid of or burn in matching welsh and missing that mid we crave OR let another team take Welsh to get the mid...ugly stuff all round
This is my worry..

We could end up holding a pick we need to offload next year.. one thats too valuable to waste on matching a bid on Tyler but isnt valuable enough that other clubs are willing to give up something nice for it..

Why are we lizard braining into thinking that because McAsey didn't work out (for many, MANY reasons) it is now illegal to draft a first round key defender? Didn't Mac Andrew almost tear us to pieces last time we player Gold Coast?

By all means I'd prefer we used our first pick elsewhere BTW, just think people are overreacting.
I'd say it's more about the judgement of our current recruiters on early picks like McAsey and how they've also been able to find good players like Murray and Butts way later in the draft too.

Do not want a kpd with our first pick. Surely there's enough evidence for them now that this is not a wise move.
Although its not my 1st choice in draft targets this year. I quite like this kid that we are currently linked too.

Feel like he's got a real presence. And while we have burned once here, i'm not 100% ready to McAsey away an entire position group from the 1st round, especially after pick 10.

Why are we lizard braining into thinking that because McAsey didn't work out (for many, MANY reasons) it is now illegal to draft a first round key defender? Didn't Mac Andrew almost tear us to pieces last time we player Gold Coast?

Hawks are apparently shopping Grainger- Barras. McAndrew did not play on a key position forward against us. All our key defenders are bargain buys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back