Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my worry..

We could end up holding a pick we need to offload next year.. one thats too valuable to waste on matching a bid on Tyler but isnt valuable enough that other clubs are willing to give up something nice for it..
It would make the 2018 draft disaster seem like a fairytale if we took no mid this year thinking next year will resolve it and then get screwed because Welsh ends up being great and we need to try and offload 2 2024 1sts for future picks or a player just so they don't get swallowed up and we might still miss that mid we desperately need

I'd rather we went hard to get GC pick and ended up with one of Duursma / McKercher / Sanders and it it cost us on top of pick 9 OR our 2 x 2nds we have our F1 with a F2 coming back for points for Welsh and the younger Michalanney, I am on board. We need to add top end quality at the end of this year for next years push. It would be horrific list management imo to kick that can down the road with where we are now at.

What if welsh is seen as a top 5 projected pick come the end of ext season? - we get absolutely taken to the cleaners to try and get in above that or we have to again trade out and miss that top end mid. This would be the very worst scenario - kick the can down the road this year - no top mid via draft or trade and then screw ourselves next year with 2 1sts that we have to get rid of or burn in matching welsh and missing that mid we crave OR let another team take Welsh to get the mid...ugly stuff all round

Don’t think that will happen at all but if we have 2 top 10 picks, we could move at least one ahead of a bid. If there are no top midfielders in this draft??? What do you want?? Can’t have what isn’t available.
Next years draft is a midfielders draft and is supposed to be a super draft. I see Welsh is a top 12 pick, midfielder’s always go higher. That’s the one for us to attack

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It would make the 2018 draft disaster seem like a fairytale if we took no mid this year thinking next year will resolve it and then get screwed because Welsh ends up being great and we need to try and offload 2 2024 1sts for future picks or a player just so they don't get swallowed up and we might still miss that mid we desperately need

I'd rather we went hard to get GC pick and ended up with one of Duursma / McKercher / Sanders and it it cost us on top of pick 9 OR our 2 x 2nds we have our F1 with a F2 coming back for points for Welsh and the younger Michalanney, I am on board. We need to add top end quality at the end of this year for next years push. It would be horrific list management imo to kick that can down the road with where we are now at.

I agree with you but we all get the feeling the AFL will screw us by giving North access to Sanders (make no f**king sense because NGA is only available after top 40) and pick 3 for McKay. All decent midfielders gone before we will get access even with GC pick

Geelong probably would have preferred our future 1st as well, like everyone they probably thought we would still bottom 4 this year.
I wonder about that. Bottom 4 would require us to regress from the progress we were making - possible, of course, and some pundits may have predicted that - but would a club really value a future pick by betting that way? I don't know, but if I was another club in 2022 looking at our 2023 first rounder, I'd be trading on the basis that that first rounder would be in the 8-10 range, at best, and possibly worse (for them).

This is my worry..

We could end up holding a pick we need to offload next year.. one thats too valuable to waste on matching a bid on Tyler but isnt valuable enough that other clubs are willing to give up something nice for it..
We should be worried if he is even remotely a good player, a few teams Im sure will bid on him, given our history of bidding on these types of players.

I agree with you but we all get the feeling the AFL will screw us by giving North access to Sanders (make no f**king sense because NGA is only available after top 40) and pick 3 for McKay. All decent midfielders gone before we will get access even with GC pick

Nothing can be more surer of the AFL rewarding North for losing Pick 1 by winning a meaningless H&A game effectively ending the tanking debate.

Don’t think that will happen at all but if we have 2 top 10 picks, we could move at least one ahead of a bid. If there are no top midfielders in this draft??? What do you want?? Can’t have what isn’t available.
Next years draft is a midfielders draft and is supposed to be a super draft. I see Welsh is a top 12 pick, midfielder’s always go higher. That’s the one for us to attack

But by trading our 1st out to next year, you are speculating that 12 months out - thats brave

Although its not my 1st choice in draft targets this year. I quite like this kid that we are currently linked too.

Feel like he's got a real presence. And while we have burned once here, i'm not 100% ready to McAsey away an entire position group from the 1st round, especially after pick 10.
I've watched some of his footage and he doesn't look dominant enough in the air or 1v1 to use a 1st round on. We've shown we can get good KPDs easily via rookie or late picks.

I've watched some of his footage and he doesn't look dominant enough in the air or 1v1 to use a 1st round on. We've shown we can get good KPDs easily via rookie or late picks.
IMO he’s absolutely dominant in the air. Good mobility, too

Ultimately if we targeted him, I’d want to grab a mid in the top 15 or 20 with another pick, as well

But by trading our 1st out to next year, you are speculating that 12 months out - thats brave

There risk in everything, I just feel that he will be a good player but there will be better out there and honestly as much as we want Welsh. We desperately need midfielders to take us from an average team to a premiership threat. If Rash, Pedler and Soligo improve in the next year, that’s great but if not? We will need a top midfield prospect to be the point of difference.

Big risk, big reward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which of the mids do you like around that range?
There’s a few. Joel Freijah and Caleb Windsor are more wings, but provide a lot of class (skills, as well as run and carry) that we could do with. Harry DeMattia has excellent speed and is a real bull in the contest, kicking is a bit iffy though. Billy Wilson is showing to be a good all-round mid too, after recently moving there from half-back

I like Curtin more too (as I reckon he has more possible scope for development) but he’ll be out of our range, even if we move up
I'd try for this.

Try and deal for GC pick 4 with our 2nd rounders and F1 - we might have to split the GC 2nd first as we may not be able to trade it back to them as is - so split it for a couple of later 2nds. Flip them to GC for pick 4 and maybe a F2 or F3 (whatever we could negotiate)

Then take 4 & 9 to the draft and try for

4) McKercher / Duursma
9) Sanders (if still on the board) / Wilson

Any of that combination will slot in nicely next year and then grab a ruck with a late pick /rookie pick and if we have list room, a key back from as a rookie or from the upcoming preseason draft

Could O'Sullivan become a midfielder in the same mould as Fyfe was a forward and became a dominant mid?
Isnt he 198cm tall?..

how bout we instead simply pick the best midfielder at our pick..

instead of yet another KPD with a 1st rounder. His draft notes worry me..

Connor O’Sullivan

Allies, key defender/forward, 198cm, 92kg
A raw prospect who will take time to develop at the next level. His running ability – especially for his size – appeals to AFL clubs, as does being able to play at both ends.

He has shown improvement this year, but recruiters want to see more from him. They believe the lack of quality talls in this year’s draft, as well as at the top level, will work in his favour. Projects as a mid-teens selection at this stage.

Lockyer’s take: “Connor can play as a tall back or forward. He has terrific endurance, and his decision-making and contest work are excellent. He’s played mainly as a key back, but he can go forward as well.”

that reads exactly like someone that will spend two years minimum playing SANFL for us!.

and with Keane, Butts probably R1 locks, Borlase probably held onto and Murray back mid season.. there’s little chance this lad will get a run.

whats the point?.. especially when we need midfield class.

I also worry about these 198cm tall, 92kg kids that dominate as defenders in their u/18/draft year.. makes you wonder what sort of opponents they are coming up against..

McAsey was a gun in his draft year.. because he was a massive lad that could dominate all comers. But it didnt even translate into a decent player at SANFL level.

Hawks are apparently shopping Grainger- Barras. McAndrew did not play on a key position forward against us. All our key defenders are bargain buys.
I remember a few years back Grainger-Barras was being used as evidence that taking KPDs with top end picks is a good move, when I was complaining about wasting picks on guys like McAsey

Could O'Sullivan become a midfielder in the same mould as Fyfe was a forward and became a dominant mid?

I'm wondering the same thing. Read that he has played midfield and his running is a strength.

Could he be a Nik Cox?

I've had this feeling that we are going to see more kids come through in that Nik Cox mould. Just look at the size of kids in the general population.

This is my worry..

Clubs are competing hard for the Suns first pick as they want points for Walters - so the same situation we could be in next year for Welsh.

And if our first pick is around the point that clubs are likely to bid for Welsh, is that really the end of the world?

We’ll still get a discount on him (under the current rules at least).

Clubs are competing hard for the Suns first pick as they want points for Walters - so the same situation we could be in next year for Welsh.

And if our first pick is around the point that clubs are likely to bid for Welsh, is that really the end of the world?

We’ll still get a discount on him (under the current rules at least).
The suns pick is pick 4 though which is what is making it sort after... if ours is that good next years something seriously wrong has occurred..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back