List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest. I was only posting because the indications are that it’s done tomorrow

It will be pick 20 and we all move on.
Hope you’re right

But have little faith in SOS and none in Gumby

Oh No Wtf GIF by LilLetsOfficial

Shows how pathetic the free gifts they were given, funnily enough by this new sheila who took over from Gill, coincidently enough came straight from North Melbourne.

This stinks to absolute high heaven. Why dont the AFL choose who they want to win from year to year like in the WWE?

north with 5 1st rnd draft picks, what ******* blight the AFL gave this s**t out, same with GC absolute mockery of s**t clubs being utter s**t and being rewarded for it
They should have signed him up for sas Australia in the off season.

St Kilda acting General Manager of Football David Misson says the Saints are hoping for an end-of-first-round compensation pick for Gresham.

If Essendon’s contract offer equates to compensation that comes in the second round, Misson says the club is willing to keep hold of the dynamic goalkicker.

“Jade’s a very high-level player,” Misson told SEN Afternoons.

“He kicked 21 goals for us this year, he's been a really established player at St Kilda and we're hoping to get an end-of-first-round pick. That's what we'd be after there.

“If the compensation that we get offered isn't what we'd like, then we'd decide whether we wanted to match it.
Be interesting to see who we get for the GM role

The band 3 compo would be a disaster for the club. And completely unfair in comparison to some of the other picks that are being handed out to everyone else this trade period.

I wish I had faith that we will fight for his worth but who knows.
Cleary covers every scenario which completely disregards mission.

It also omits that if it was acceptable as a third round compo.

It would have been done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have reached 'threaten Pre Season draft' stage of negotiations with Essendon.

Essendon could wait for pre-season draft to land Saint Gresham​

Essendon could attempt to snare St Kilda’s Jade Gresham in the pre-season draft in the event the Saints match a bid for the free agent goal kicker.
The Bombers could front-end Gresham’s contract to snare him in the draft in a similar manner to the way Carlton landed Jack Martin in 2019.

Importantly, Essendon has significant salary cap space to be able to put a price on Gresham’s head to help ward off rival clubs, such as Hawthorn and Fremantle, earlier in the draft order.

The Blues landed Martin for nothing with a heavily front-ended seven-figure first-year salary after Gold Coast baulked at a second-round pick trade offer from Carlton.

But the Bombers’ preference is to secure Gresham as a free agent as part of a move which could generate either an end-of-first-round or second-round compensation pick for the Saints.

St Kilda on Wednesday said the club would consider keeping Gresham at the club due to his strong relationship with Ross Lyon if the compensation pick was not end-of-first-round.

The Saints could also match a bid in an effort to strike a better trade deal – similar to GWS Giants with Geelong on Jeremy Cameron – but Essendon does not want to trade, raising the prospect of a pre-season draft bailout.

The Bombers may be only willing to pay Gresham $600,000 a year, which would likely result in a second-round compensation pick, instead of $700,000, which could trigger end-of-first-round compensation.

St Kilda lost gun onballer Luke Ball to the draft to Collingwood for nothing in 2009 after the Saints’ trade talks with Collingwood broke down. Martin followed in 2019 in a huge coup for the Blues where Stephen Silvagni (now at St Kilda) was list manager until December that year.

Essendon has about a $2.5 million war chest to spend on its four targets – Ben McKay, Todd Goldstein, Gresham and Xavier Duursma – although Duursma will have to be traded.

St Kilda has pick 13 in next month’s draft and have been in talks with clubs, including North Melbourne, about potentially swapping its pick either up or down the draft order.

Another top-25 pick could give the Saints some flexibility to target either pick eight from Geelong or Essendon’s pick nine to get into the top-10 where the best players are.

Recruiters are convinced there is a considerable talent drop-off after pick nine or 10, making picks in the teens a trickier prospect in this year’s talent pool.

Essendon list boss Adrian Dodoro said the Bombers, who have begun a successful trade period already snaring two key players, would lodge a bid for Gresham by Thursday afternoon.

“We are probably going to lodge documentation in the next 24 hours,” Dodoro said on AFL Trade Radio.

“We haven’t discussed anything with St Kilda (regards a trade) we are just talking to his management (Matt Bain from TLA) at the present time.”

The Bombers have picks nine and 30 and could hold on to them until draft night when the club could be open for talks about a pick swap.

Remarkably, key defender Daniel Curtin could slide to the bottom half of the top-10 as rivals zero in on some other exciting playmakers amid concerns Curtin may want to return home to Western Australia.

St Kilda head of football David Misson said the Saints may match an offer for Gresham to either keep him or force Essendon to stump up more in a trade.

The Saints are also looking to bring in Carlton onballer Paddy Dow and Fremantle playmaker Liam Henry.

But the Saints need a pick for Gresham.

“The ball is really in Essendon’s court to lodge an offer for Jade and his management is working with Essendon to get that going,” Misson said.

“Once that is done we need to decide whether we are going to match that offer or potentially facilitate a trade there.

“If we decided to match there would be a trade, but depending on the offer Essendon made that would obviously drive that compensation for us.

“We are hoping for as good a compensation pick as we can there but it is totally dependent on the offer that Essendon makes.

“Jade is a very high-level player, he kicked 20 goals for us this year and he has been a really established player at St Kilda and we are hoping to get an end-of-first-round pick is what we would be after there.”

Surely if Ess offer something like $600,000 over 4 years but then walk him to the PSD they then can't offer a $1M for 1 year contract?

I assume if the FA offer from Ess was 1 year at a million that would get us pick 14?

Surely if Ess offer something like $600,000 over 4 years but then walk him to the PSD they then can't offer a $1M for 1 year contract?

I assume if the FA offer from Ess was 1 year at a million that would get us pick 14?
2 years min for FA compensation. I’m not sure on your other question, which is a good one

I am so disappointed already that SOS is not insisting on Band 1 for Gresham, the fact that we're haggling over band 2 or 3 is already enough incentive to match and keep Gresh IMO. If he wants to go to the PSD after all the stuff his manager said about being willing to stay etc would annoy me, but I'm not letting him go for a 2RDP, he is a quality player.

So far, I'm very underwhelmed with SOS at the wheel, and Gubby is a bloody myth. He's supposed to be a backroom fixer, but what has he done for us?

North are taking the piss too, and the AFL got conned again just like a junkie's parents. "Promise mum, I'll use the money to clean up and get into that TAFE program, turn my life around..."

Best result for us now really is the Dunkley method, re-sign Gresh, have Ross get the best out of him to boost his profile and trade him to a better club next year for a better price in a better draft. Ditto Hunter Clark and Jack Billings though I really doubt we can get any more juice from those last two lemons.

To be honest. I was only posting because the indications are that it’s done tomorrow

It will be pick 20 and we all move on.

Henry & Dow are significant positives, but the club kept saying they wanted to hit the draft and it seems they have missed all opportunities to garner more usable picks or to move up or down the draft.

Hopefully there are things going on in the back ground - but as it looks now we have really missed out on other clubs big shuffle of picks? The Dogs have traded out any picks that might have been reasonable for Coffield. Unless we are seriously looking at Lobb, it looks like we have missed that boat. If we wanted to split an early pick again with all the movement today it looks like we have missed out.

Billings appears to be struggling to attract interest from other clubs - surely that says a lot about the player and Gallaghers previous list management. If McKenzie gets to GCS as a FA I doubt we get any compensation?

I will keep my powder dry but if SOS & Gubby dont become more imaginative with our draft picks, it will very much look like a failed trade period.

Last edited:
Are all the oppo clubs still fighting over Dougal Howard???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back