2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway general opinions of the game (I started watching near the end of the 2nd):

Ryan looks ready for a debut, and is tracking nicely.
Welsh looks a serious prospect. Good amount of composure, vision and pace.
I like Murray and will be watching with genuine interest where he's at next year. That leap is a weapon as a third tall.
Curtin is a serious prospect, as he looks a very clean ball user and tackles rather ferociously. However, he looks like he needs another preseason to be ready for AFL football. He looks like he's struggling with the amount of running needed - which I guess is fair enough seeing he wasn't a permanent midfielder.
Edwards did some nice things, but this is again a wait and see for next year.
Bond actually showed something that was resembling an AFL footballer.

It seems like I missed Thilthorpe and Pedlar doing well, seeing both faded out after I started watching.

Last edited:
Hugh Bond's shut down job on the SANFL's most dangerous forward Aiden Grace was exemplary keeping him to 5 touches while accumulating 16 possies himself at 93.8%DE
Grace has a history of destroying us too.

Yeah, but how many frees within scoring distance to the Dogs?

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can't be serious. Umpires hate Centrals, we get screwed nearly every week, especially by the bald headed pr!ck. The umpires seemed overawed by the AFL players and paid a lot of soft frees to them. Also very thin skinned when our players made comments.

The comment about Thilthorpe at SANFL level applies to your whole list of 15 AFL players. It is not a level playing field, you and the club formerly known as the Magpies belong in an AFL competition, not the SANFL. I think I was able to head count maybe 100 of your supporters today. The 4,000 promised years ago were nowhere to be seen. Professional footballers beating part time footballers who also have to work a real job during the week.

Just FYI I'm a Crows foundation member with a 3 game season ticket, but I hate the Crows in the SANFL, Power reserves also.

And?

At this point, Jones hasn't spent long enough this year in the SANFL for his career to be at a crossroads. It might be in a fortnight, especially if we go for other options.
He has spent enough time in the afl to see his career is at the crossroads
Blind Freddy can see that
sanfl just reinforces he's not up to it

You can't be serious. Umpires hate Centrals, we get screwed nearly every week, especially by the bald headed pr!ck. The umpires seemed overawed by the AFL players and paid a lot of soft frees to them. Also very thin skinned when our players made comments.

The comment about Thilthorpe at SANFL level applies to your whole list of 15 AFL players. It is not a level playing field, you and the club formerly known as the Magpies belong in an AFL competition, not the SANFL. I think I was able to head count maybe 100 of your supporters today. The 4,000 promised years ago were nowhere to be seen. Professional footballers beating part time footballers who also have to work a real job during the week.

Just FYI I'm a Crows foundation member with a 3 game season ticket, but I hate the Crows in the SANFL, Power reserves also.
I'm serious alright. Crows and Pear 2nds get screwed almost every week in the Michael Mouse SANFL. You are not alone in wanting these 2 sides in another competition.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

15??? mmmm lets see
1- Ned McHenry Average Afl player OK at SANFL
2- Oscar Ryan - Still a kid learning
3 - Harry Schoenberg - Good SANFL player
4 - Chayce Jones - Good SANFL player
5 - Kieran Strachan - GUN SANFL ruck. Avregae AFL
6- Hugh Bond - Kid learning
7 - James Borlase - Kid learning. Can play AFL but not the difference
8 - Charlie Edwards - kid learning
9 - Daniel Curtin - Kid Learning
10 - Luke Pedlar - Injury prone
11 - Lachlan Gollant - Good SANFL player
12 - Toby Murray - Kid learning
13 - Riley Thilthorpe - Gun SANFL

Then Madgen and 8 top up amatuer league players.

Your right. Not a level playing field. Centrals side looked so much stronger.

He has spent enough time in the afl to see his career is at the crossroads
Blind Freddy can see that
sanfl just reinforces he's not up to it

And if he's back in the AFL next week (which is quite likely)?

SANFL doesn't reinforce anything until a player is stuck there for a stretch of time. Missing one game could simply just be the coach wanting to reward a winning team, or they aren't fully trusting that an injury is healed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact we're both forced to use top-ups and both clubs form is drastically altered by a couple of injuries indicates no, it's not a level playing field. The deck is stacked in favour of the SANFL clubs - as it should be if reserves teams are allowed.

Heck, if you were take an aggregate table of the last decade, Adelaide and Port would likely be entrenched in the 5-7 slots.

Last edited:
The fact we're both forced to use top-ups and both clubs form is drastically altered by a couple of injuries indicates no, it's not a level playing field. The deck is stacked heavily in favour of the SANFL clubs - as it should be if reserves teams are allowed.

I don't agree. We'll agree to differ.

You don't seem to realise or acknowledge that the majority of traditional SANFL club supporters don't want AFL Reserves team in the SANFL.

Last week at alberton the crowd was 990 and it was 1,519 yesterday. I don't see your 4,000 supporters in that figure. My estimate would be 1,200 Centrals supporters and 319 Crows.

The Crows and Power reserves belong in the VFL or an AFL competition not the SANFL.

The Crows and Power reserves belong in the VFL or an AFL competition not the SANFL.

I agree.

But along with that the Crows and Power should not be financially supporting the SANFL at all

Sturt had 6 first pick players out yesterday, arguably 8. We had 4 players named in the squad that were late outs, didn’t play at all, not even reserves. We didn’t have a recognised ruckman, our reserves started the game with only 20 players and fought out a draw with a goal after the final siren. The replacement players have barely played a seniors game all year and would probably be equal to an Adelaide or Port top up player in quality.
Injuries happen, you deal with it. There’s no fall back for SANFL clubs when this happens, there’s no whining, there’s no bitching about how unfair it all is and there’s no possibility of any preferable treatment from the SANFL.

Not reporting anything knew but talking to someone very close to the situation over the weekend.

He confirmed the AFL has completely backed away from any AFL Reserves comp involving the SA clubs. Both clubs have been told they staying in the SANFL for the long term.

The AFL want to protect the stand alone VFL clubs and don't believe the current arrangements are a significant disadvantage for SA or WA teams.

The SANFL believes they are doing all they can with the fixtures to accommodate the AFL playing emergencies but are happy to accommodate where they can but they can't schedule games at 4pm on a Thursday or Friday involving SANFL League teams. Sounds like the SANFL clubs will have to try a bit harder to accommodate where they can.

They are a fair way apart on the top ups. The SANFL is happy to release players where it will help them get onto an AFL list but not for the purposes of making the AFL Reserves team stronger. The AFL club has to have some intention of moving them onto the AFL list or have seriously looked at drafting them in the past.

There is room to move on the difference in rules between. The AFL and SANFL comps but the top ups are the main issue.

Last edited:
Im not sure how the set up is so apologies

Should it be like the old days where we had our players train with us and then send them back - but our top ups train with us 2 nights - we have a group of regulars that we can then send back to their original clubs

Sure its difficult for the clubs and the discarded players but its a win for cohesion and the supplement clubs who get a better trained player

The AFL want to protect the stand alone VFL clubs and don't believe the current arrangements are a significant disadvantage for SA or WA teams.

Interesting reasoning given they absolutely did not do this by creating a ton of AFL reserves teams in the VFL and also merging in the NEAFL

The reserves setup of the VFL has absolutely cooked clubs like Coburg, Port Melbourne and the Northern Bullants

Interesting reasoning given they absolutely did not do this by creating a ton of AFL reserves teams in the VFL and also merging in the NEAFL

The reserves setup of the VFL has absolutely cooked clubs like Coburg, Port Melbourne and the Northern Bullants

It has but the clubs still exist all be it on their knees. Victorian Football is a bit of mess if you ask me but if you judge it on the number of draftees then it probably works.

I think the AFL needed to work harder on the NEAFL comp. I think there was potential to have four tier 2 comps around the country with AFL reserves playing in all if them.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back