2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The access argument isn’t really relevant, it would be no different to Prospect Oval and it’s mix of public access and sports being played on it.
Recently some morons were on Unley Oval threatening female players and officials.
What a perimeter fence Provides is better security from traffic for kids and dogs
I'm not particularly interested in the access argument myself - agree it's not a hugely strong point against the proposed fence. I do see (without seriously endorsing) the point some people make about it maybe being the thin edge of the wedge.

I would never condone or defend morons behaving badly.

I would be interested in some data that supports the need for security from traffic (I'm not suggesting you have that data or should have it - just explaining why I am not persuaded by this argument at the moment). I am open to being persuaded. I have little kids and I definitely don't want them to be knocked over by a car.

But every time safety has been raised, even in the Council documents, it has been in this kind of motherhood way - I am not aware of there actually ever having been an incident that suggests safety is a real issue. There are a fair few obstacles between oval and road on 3 sides of the oval, and at the northern end (which might be the most vulnerable) you have to negotiate a picket fence and then a zig-zag train crossing style low fence to get from the oval to the street. If you are determined enough to run into oncoming traffic to negotiate those obstacles, a perimeter fence with an open gate probably isn't adding much by way of security.

I'm not aggressively anti-fence, I just haven't heard a compelling argument in favour of it other than one about the saving some money for the Sturt Football Club. Now I'm pro-footy, pro-SANFL, a Roosters fan so kinda neutral about Sturt. I bear them no ill will. But I don't particularly want to donate my rates to them either when that money would no doubt otherwise be used on other worthy causes in the community.

Anyway this is hopelessly off topic so I'll leave it there. I just am not a fan of the perception that people who don't want this fence are NIMBYs. There are some (and they are probably the loudest, and probably the f-wits threatening people). But actually I think the community's reservations about the idea are a bit more nuanced and, I would like to think, sensible.

Of course you can, everyone wants to see their up and coming talent performing well. As I highlighted specifically in the post you quoted.

Winning? Meh. If we cared about winning the reserves we would have kept Pat Wilson and James Battersby. We didn't, because we don't. And nor should we
They shouldn't care about winning the premiership.

However, winning games is great for giving the youngsters confidence - and with confidence comes improved performance, and faster development. From that perspective, winning is definitely important, because of the benefits that come along with it.

I'm not particularly interested in the access argument myself - agree it's not a hugely strong point against the proposed fence. I do see (without seriously endorsing) the point some people make about it maybe being the thin edge of the wedge.

I would be interested in some data that supports the need for security from traffic (I'm not suggesting you have that data or should have it - just explaining why I am not persuaded by this argument at the moment). I am open to being persuaded. I have little kids and I definitely don't want them to be knocked over by a car.

But every time safety has been raised, even in the Council documents, it has been in this kind of motherhood way - I am not aware of there actually ever having been an incident that suggests safety is a real issue. There are a fair few obstacles between oval and road on 3 sides of the oval, and at the northern end (which might be the most vulnerable) you have to negotiate a picket fence and then a zig-zag train crossing style low fence to get from the oval to the street. If you are determined enough to run into oncoming traffic to negotiate those obstacles, a perimeter fence with an open gate probably isn't adding much by way of security.

I'm not aggressively anti-fence, I just haven't heard a compelling argument in favour of it other than one about the saving some money for the Sturt Football Club. Now I'm pro-footy, pro-SANFL, a Roosters fan so kinda neutral about Sturt. I bear them no ill will. But I don't particularly want to donate my rates to them either when that money would no doubt otherwise be used on other worthy causes in the community.

Anyway this is hopelessly off topic so I'll leave it there. I just am not a fan of the perception that people who don't want this fence are NIMBYs. There are some (and they are probably the loudest, and probably the f-wits threatening people). But actually I think the community's reservations about the idea are a bit more nuanced and, I would like to think, sensible.
Why isn't saving the local club money enough of a reason?

Heck, Mitcham and Unley Football Clubs have fences

No sane Crows fan would barrack for the Crows reserves or even care if they win, against any team

The reserves team is only there to prepare players for the next level. There's no other function and that's the only interest a Crows fan would take when watching

If we win with Smith, McHenry, Magden, Top Up 1 and Top Up 2 as our best players that SUCKS

If we lose with Ryan and Curtin in our best that's good.
Well, I barrack for the Crows SANFL team when I watch them.

I'm not that fussed by results but I don't have the ability to not barrack for them .

They should apply for community grants, like other community groups would.

It's a reasonable thing to have community debate on, I would have thought.
You can't apply for grants to build structures on council owned land unless the building is approved by council beforehand

Well, I barrack for the Crows SANFL team when I watch them.

I'm not that fussed by results but I don't have the ability to not barrack for them .
Then you're not barracking for them

We watch. We hope things go well. We hope there are no injuries. We hope we see some strong performances from developing players who will be able to progress to AFL level one day.

My comment on safety isn’t based in any data, just my own experiences.
I somethings house sit and look after dogs while owners are away. Among many places two have been close to Prospect Oval and Unley Oval. I’ve walked and exercised dogs on both ovals. While there’s never been a problem with a dog under my care I can see how it could be. Some dogs have anxiety issues and can panic some are outright dumb and poorly trained, if it’s not your own dog you may not be fully aware of the subtleties. Anyway, if for whatever reason a dog does bolt I’d like my chances of myself or someone else being able to get to the dog before running into traffic at Prospect Oval much much greater than at Unley where at least at the northern end it could be out in the road in seconds. To a degree it’s similar for children.

We watch. We hope things go well. We hope there are no injuries. We hope we see some strong performances from developing players who will be able to progress to AFL level one day.
That sounds like you are barracking to me. You hope things go well. So you are hoping to win.

That sounds like you are barracking to me. You hope things go well. So you are hoping to win.
Well as in midfield time for Pedlar/Dowling/Taylor and they find the footy

Nick Murray makes a safe return from injury

Ryan and Curtin find the ball and push for a senior call up

T Murray clunks a few and looks like he could be a ruck/forward option in future

Etc

If those type of things happen and we also win, fine.

If those type of things happen and we lose, also fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well as in midfield time for Pedlar/Dowling/Taylor and they find the footy

Nick Murray makes a safe return from injury

Ryan and Curtin find the ball and push for a senior call up

T Murray clunks a few and looks like he could be a ruck/forward option in future

Etc

If those type of things happen and we also win, fine.

If those type of things happen and we lose, also fine.
Don't think Toby will ever be more than a key forward that can chop out in ruck at AFL level.

Last edited:

Well, I hope that players are doing the kind of things that lead to success, and are learning to win. I don't lose much sleep when they lose but I always barrack for a win, because normally that's indicative of playing the right way and the younger players developing the right habits.

We all come from different paths and are all Crows supporters because of one reason or another.

We all love footy.

One of the reasons I love footy is because I was taken by Dad to watch West Torrens as a kid. I would kick around a footy in my grandparents backyard at Flinders Park while Nanna was pegging clothes on the line with blue and gold pegs. Family dinner conversations would inevitably lead to talk of how good Head, or Hank, were back in the day. Other highlights from growing up a young kid in the 80's was watching State of Origin.

When the Crows came in in 1991, for me, it was an add on on top of the club I always followed, albeit that club became the merged Eagles, much to the heartbreak of my Dad in particular. It was a bit like State of Origin. The Crows were brought in because more and more of our good players were leaving the state to play for clubs in the VFL/AFL. The Crows made an immediate impression BECAUSE of the connection they, and their supporters had with and for the SANFL.

As time went by, more and more the SANFL would get hidden by the shadow of the all conquering AFL, beginning with the formation of the Crows. When Port came in, it took a hit. When the expansion clubs came in, it took a hit. Then when the Crows and Port entered their AFL Reserves, that was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Two teams competing under separate rules and salary caps to the rest, a premiership low on the priority list, results largely based on how good or bad the AFL injury list is. An insult to the competition IMO. And, for the first time, the club I followed in the AFL was competing against the club I followed, and had always followed, and my family had always followed for over 100 years, in the SANFL.

Now, having pushed their way into the SANFL 10 years ago, both clubs want out without a care in the world for the SANFL. The commitment of "playing to the line" and bringing 4000 spectators through the gate each week a complete load of BS, as I knew from the start. Despite this, the AFL won't allow it.

So now we have South Australian football fans fighting amongst themselves. Most Port and some Crows supporters heavily critical of the SANFL, down to the fact that the AFL never considered the strength of any competition below their own from the start and even now when there are some considerations and discussions for 2nd tier leagues, there is still the ruling out of a national reserves competition. Many of the diehard SANFL supporters who still go every week loathe what the AFL and AFL teams in the state have done to their club and competition. There is no coming together to work out what is best for football at all levels and the importance of maintaining and promoting clubs who have deep roots in their communities. And the AFL couldn't give a stuff about the Crows or Port either BTW.

So get the blinkers off and if you want to be critical, remember the Adelaide Football Club does not exist without the SANFL and the clubs that went before it. It was brought about to fight against the domination of the VFL/AFL raiding our state of its best talent - the $ signs to boost VFL club coffers the only reason we were let in. Even now, we are denied the equal footings of the eastern state AFL clubs, as are the WA clubs. And, it was the insistence of the Adelaide Football Club, along with Port, that they compete AGAINST the SANFL clubs in the SANFL competition 10 years ago not the other way around.

So, I hope you'll excuse those that might continue to support their SANFL club against the Crows in the SANFL and be understanding if some of us are a little disappointed that the Crows have let themselves get in this position as a club - 10 years on from independence from the SANFL. They have gone from being the Pride of South Australia, to a cog in the AFL machine and a part of that shadow.

I hold hope they can rise up. We've seen the huge success and pride in our state for Gather Round. That pride felt in our state for that weekend WAS the pride and sentiment the state felt for the Crows. Through bad management they've let that slip - but there is still an enormous underbelly for the Crows to rise up and represent us on a national stage and the club should take advantage of that.

We all come from different paths and are all Crows supporters because of one reason or another.

We all love footy.

One of the reasons I love footy is because I was taken by Dad to watch West Torrens as a kid. I would kick around a footy in my grandparents backyard at Flinders Park while Nanna was pegging clothes on the line with blue and gold pegs. Family dinner conversations would inevitably lead to talk of how good Head, or Hank, were back in the day. Other highlights from growing up a young kid in the 80's was watching State of Origin.

When the Crows came in in 1991, for me, it was an add on on top of the club I always followed, albeit that club became the merged Eagles, much to the heartbreak of my Dad in particular. It was a bit like State of Origin. The Crows were brought in because more and more of our good players were leaving the state to play for clubs in the VFL/AFL. The Crows made an immediate impression BECAUSE of the connection they, and their supporters had with and for the SANFL.

As time went by, more and more the SANFL would get hidden by the shadow of the all conquering AFL, beginning with the formation of the Crows. When Port came in, it took a hit. When the expansion clubs came in, it took a hit. Then when the Crows and Port entered their AFL Reserves, that was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Two teams competing under separate rules and salary caps to the rest, a premiership low on the priority list, results largely based on how good or bad the AFL injury list is. An insult to the competition IMO. And, for the first time, the club I followed in the AFL was competing against the club I followed, and had always followed, and my family had always followed for over 100 years, in the SANFL.

Now, having pushed their way into the SANFL 10 years ago, both clubs want out without a care in the world for the SANFL. The commitment of "playing to the line" and bringing 4000 spectators through the gate each week a complete load of BS, as I knew from the start. Despite this, the AFL won't allow it.

So now we have South Australian football fans fighting amongst themselves. Most Port and some Crows supporters heavily critical of the SANFL, down to the fact that the AFL never considered the strength of any competition below their own from the start and even now when there are some considerations and discussions for 2nd tier leagues, there is still the ruling out of a national reserves competition. Many of the diehard SANFL supporters who still go every week loathe what the AFL and AFL teams in the state have done to their club and competition. There is no coming together to work out what is best for football at all levels and the importance of maintaining and promoting clubs who have deep roots in their communities. And the AFL couldn't give a stuff about the Crows or Port either BTW.

So get the blinkers off and if you want to be critical, remember the Adelaide Football Club does not exist without the SANFL and the clubs that went before it. It was brought about to fight against the domination of the VFL/AFL raiding our state of its best talent - the $ signs to boost VFL club coffers the only reason we were let in. Even now, we are denied the equal footings of the eastern state AFL clubs, as are the WA clubs. And, it was the insistence of the Adelaide Football Club, along with Port, that they compete AGAINST the SANFL clubs in the SANFL competition 10 years ago not the other way around.

So, I hope you'll excuse those that might continue to support their SANFL club against the Crows in the SANFL and be understanding if some of us are a little disappointed that the Crows have let themselves get in this position as a club - 10 years on from independence from the SANFL. They have gone from being the Pride of South Australia, to a cog in the AFL machine and a part of that shadow.

I hold hope they can rise up. We've seen the huge success and pride in our state for Gather Round. That pride felt in our state for that weekend WAS the pride and sentiment the state felt for the Crows. Through bad management they've let that slip - but there is still an enormous underbelly for the Crows to rise up and represent us on a national stage and the club should take advantage of that.
Excellent summary.
As I’ve always said, footy is complicated in SA.
Each to their own, the only time I’ll get pi$$ed off with people’s stances is when they’re totally blinkered one way or the other and dismiss with total disdain the history and traditions that others cherish.

We all love footy.

I think a lot of SANFL fans share your views but I find it a really negative, destructive mindset.

One of the best things the SANFL has going for it is that the clubs and players are mixed in with players at or near AFL level. Keeps standards up, forces clubs to be better, makes it attractive for recruits and players trying to break into the AFL. Helps contribute towards salary cap which is the largest outside AFL.

Take Port and Adelaide reserves out and the SANFL sinks towards Div 1 amateur league level. Any ambitious player who misses being drafted will head to the VFL instead.

The Crows and Port teams will have free reign for top ups, unlike now. So the SANFL club players closest to getting an AFL lifeline will get snapped up whereas they are protected now.

The concept should have been received by the SANFL clubs and fans as a major positive. Keeps them relevant to the football pathway whereas if Port/Crows leave, they are only relevant to the player pathway up to U18 level.

The AFL clubs shouldn't have to had to bullshit their way in with phony promises of crowds and winning focus. But they did because of regressive attitudes within SANFL clubs.

The game against Port/Crows should be the chance to test your players against AFL listed talent. Play your U18s who are in the draft frame, put them on show.

Nothing but positives but instead the concept has been dragged down by negativity. There are strong parallels with local football club and local cricket club attitudes towards AFL/Redbacks. Makes for a poor culture and reflects poorly on us as a state.

I think a lot of SANFL fans share your views but I find it a really negative, destructive mindset.

One of the best things the SANFL has going for it is that the clubs and players are mixed in with players at or near AFL level. Keeps standards up, forces clubs to be better, makes it attractive for recruits and players trying to break into the AFL. Helps contribute towards salary cap which is the largest outside AFL.

Take Port and Adelaide reserves out and the SANFL sinks towards Div 1 amateur league level. Any ambitious player who misses being drafted will head to the VFL instead.

The Crows and Port teams will have free reign for top ups, unlike now. So the SANFL club players closest to getting an AFL lifeline will get snapped up whereas they are protected now.

The concept should have been received by the SANFL clubs and fans as a major positive. Keeps them relevant to the football pathway whereas if Port/Crows leave, they are only relevant to the player pathway up to U18 level.

The AFL clubs shouldn't have to had to bullshit their way in with phony promises of crowds and winning focus. But they did because of regressive attitudes within SANFL clubs.

The game against Port/Crows should be the chance to test your players against AFL listed talent. Play your U18s who are in the draft frame, put them on show.

Nothing but positives but instead the concept has been dragged down by negativity. There are strong parallels with local football club and local cricket club attitudes towards AFL/Redbacks. Makes for a poor culture and reflects poorly on us as a state.
It would be more destructive if all the SANFL fans stopped investing their time and money in to their club, or the next generation's SANFL club of choice was Port or the Crows.

There is no reason why the SANFL/VFL/WAFL is not still a pathway to the AFL.

Put it simply, AFL Reserves should be purely about development. A national reserves competition with top up players aligned with their state league club and under the age of 21 would give all AFL clubs an equal footing. It would give more young players exposure to an AFL environment. It would keep up the integrity of the State League competitions with all teams on an equal footing and keep them relevant by being the pathway to the AFL for mature age players.

It is clear as day the Crows and Port are quite rightly pushing to have equal development pathways as the eastern states.

This needn't be how the VFL is currently run, which is a shambles, and IMO the SANFL, Port and the Crows should be pushing together for a solution which can be a win/win/win for AFL clubs, State League clubs and footballers young and old who want to play in competitions that are strong and relevant whilst still pursuing that dream of playing AFL.

It would be more destructive if all the SANFL fans stopped investing their time and money in to their club, or the next generation's SANFL club of choice was Port or the Crows.

There is no reason why the SANFL/VFL/WAFL is not still a pathway to the AFL.

Put it simply, AFL Reserves should be purely about development. A national reserves competition with top up players aligned with their state league club and under the age of 21 would give all AFL clubs an equal footing. It would give more young players exposure to an AFL environment. It would keep up the integrity of the State League competitions with all teams on an equal footing and keep them relevant by being the pathway to the AFL for mature age players.

It is clear as day the Crows and Port are quite rightly pushing to have equal development pathways as the eastern states.

This needn't be how the VFL is currently run, which is a shambles, and IMO the SANFL, Port and the Crows should be pushing together for a solution which can be a win/win/win for AFL clubs, State League clubs and footballers young and old who want to play in competitions that are strong and relevant whilst still pursuing that dream of playing AFL.
A national reserves competition would mean the SANFL becomes 3rd tier, rather than 2nd tier

Why would any AFL club agree to a 21 year old maximum on top ups? Surely they'd snap up any AFL delistees just for starters. The payment restrictions for top ups also disappear.

And why would any player choose to play in a 3rd tier competition when they could play in the 2nd tier and train with an AFL club?

The SANFL would destroy itself by turfing the AFL teams imho. Would becomes a Coates U18 League equivalent, except with Old Scholars teams running around.

A national reserves competition would mean the SANFL becomes 3rd tier, rather than 2nd tier

Why would any AFL club agree to a 21 year old maximum on top ups? Surely they'd snap up any AFL delistees just for starters. The payment restrictions for top ups also disappear.

And why would any player choose to play in a 3rd tier competition when they could play in the 2nd tier and train with an AFL club?

The SANFL would destroy itself by turfing the AFL teams imho. Would becomes a Coates U18 League equivalent, except with Old Scholars teams running around.

100% agree. The attitude of the SANFL as an organisation is quite baffling.

They do everything possible to hold back the AFL teams. Look at the rules and especially the umpiring our team has to deal with.

And yet the SANFL is propped up by the AFL sides. So when the SA clubs threaten to leave the SANFL, they back down and agree to changes because they know where the bread is buttered. They are well aware of what they'd face under a system with an AFL reserves competition.

So their initial attitudes towards the AFL sides makes no sense. They know they need us, but treat us like we aren't welcome.

100% agree. The attitude of the SANFL as an organisation is quite baffling.

They do everything possible to hold back the AFL teams. Look at the rules and especially the umpiring our team has to deal with.

And yet the SANFL is propped up by the AFL sides. So when the SA clubs threaten to leave the SANFL, they back down and agree to changes because they know where the bread is buttered. They are well aware of what they'd face under a system with an AFL reserves competition.

So their initial attitudes towards the AFL sides makes no sense. They know they need us, but treat us like we aren't welcome.
They don't need the Crows and Power in the SANFL. They don't add anything to the SANFL. That is BS.

I love my Crows, but I also still love the SANFL comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back