Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Which realistically available player SHOULD we pick at #4?

• Sid Draper

• Jagga Smith

• Harvey Langford

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s my mail

Can never be 100% confident on draft mail due to ducks and drakes but just sharing it
Oh don't take me the wrong way, appreciate you sharing but from all that has happened this year with them having him around the club and in their VFL side right under their nose, they know him inside out and to me, it seems like they may be putting out false signals on other players to try to blur the lines with him.

Oh don't take me the wrong way, appreciate you sharing but from all that has happened this year with them having him around the club and in their VFL side right under their nose, they know him inside out and to me, it seems like they may be putting out false signals on other players to try to blur the lines with him.
You do realise the Oakleigh chargers draftees are aligned to Richmond VFL, Collingwood VFL and Port Melbourne VFL when it comes to placements so it was just the luck of the draw in that regard.

Last edited:

We won’t know until the night !

That’s my mail

Can never be 100% confident on draft mail due to ducks and drakes but just sharing it

Im only going off the Tigers board here, they seem set on Lalor and FOS, should they get Picks 1 and 2.

With the Blues taking Smith, it means Draper at 4 for us.

Over the next few days we're going back to the start of the season to fill in a few performances that were missed. Here we see Harvey Langford, still sporting the long hair, playing more forward than mid and taking a number of impressive contested marks. If his lack of pace does impact his ability to play through the middle at AFL level he can always fall back on his ability to impact the game as a medium forward.

Over the next few days we're going back to the start of the season to fill in a few performances that were missed. Here we see Harvey Langford, still sporting the long hair, playing more forward than mid and taking a number of impressive contested marks. If his lack of pace does impact his ability to play through the middle at AFL level he can always fall back on his ability to impact the game as a medium forward.

I really like this kid. Feels like the top 5 are all a sure thing.

Delist Strachan and Burgess, then pick up 20yo 206cm Max Knobel as a dfa and take a late/rookie ruck.

Knobel may not be as good as Strachan next year, but if ROB goes down Strachan won't save our season either. And Knobel should improve as Strachan declines.

We can go to 105% of salary cap this year and 95% next. Doubt there's a significant net cap investment after only 50% of rookie salary amounts counting toward the salary cap. And it's a good investment.

Low risk, low cost, potential high uupside.and we just do it all again next year if it doesn't work.
Yeah, except are you sure the Player's Association allows you to exceed the salary cap by rolling future salary into this year, like we'd have to do if cutting a player?

Clubs just don't cut players with a year left, it's incredibly rare. Clurey wanted to leave because he believes WCE are going to sign him as a SSP.

If it was easy, you'd have to assume it would be way more widespread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we had enough for both Luko AND Peatling as both were “in play” simultaneously. Cummings offer definitely sounds like bumped up but can’t imagine more than 100-125k per year,

We should still have a stack of spare salary cap esp if front loading longer player contracts and only operating near the 95% level in recent years
Peatling wasn't seriously in play with us until Cumming signed.

FWIW, that was after Luko's commitment.

Peatling wasn't seriously in play with us until Cumming signed.

FWIW, that was after Luko's commitment.
What got us into play with Peatling was the commitment of Cumming.

Cumming's partner and Peatling's partner are best friends. Once Cumming was committed, it meant the move was much easier for Peatling to commit to

Peatling has zero connection to this state - but our advantage was the social connections made at GWS.

This was said directly to Jenny by those at the club as our key advantage when we were pitching to Peatling. It was also why we weren't rumoured at all until very late.

Yeah, except are you sure the Player's Association allows you to exceed the salary cap by rolling future salary into this year, like we'd have to do if cutting a player?

Clubs just don't cut players with a year left, it's incredibly rare. Clurey wanted to leave because he believes WCE are going to sign him as a SSP.

You do not know we’d exceed the salary cap if we have to roll a player like Burgess salary into 2024, why you stating it as a fact?

Clurey wants to leave because he did not want to play SANFL all year which Hinkley made clear would be the case. Read his article, he’s hoping to get picked up but he doesn’t have a club.

Why do you think Port have the cap space to roll a players salary into it and we don’t?

We couldn’t have a similar conversation with Burgess?

Cumming's partner and Peatling's partner are best friends. Once Cumming was committed, it meant the move was much easier for Peatling to commit to

Peatling has zero connection to this state - but our advantage was the social connections made at GWS.

This was said directly to Jenny by those at the club as our key advantage when we were pitching to Peatling. It was also why we weren't rumoured at all until very late.
That doesn’t not mean we weren’t trying to get Peatling before that. You’re making stuff up and why are you having a conversation with yourself?

I don’t know of any technical reasons it can't be done. Clubs have paid out contracts in the past. There are probably cultural reasons why you wouldn't want to do it very often, and it would be embarrassing for the club's list management team.

But if you were able to come to happy terms with the players involved, that can be worked through. Neither of Strachan or Burgess should get AFL games next year, and then they are done.

Getting paid by the Crows and a SANFL club might be what they want. Maybe a 4 year crows SANFL contract.

We should at least be exploring the opportunities.

Means very little. We had Moir and Keeler around us as well and took neither.

Did you forget to login to your other account?

Means very little. We had Moir and Keeler around us as well and took neither.
And Kane McAuliffe in our Crows Academy via our country zone (Pt. Augusta), 9 AFL games in his 1st season, 3 as sub and 7 VFL where he regularly got 20+ disposals, 2 games over 30 disposals.

I don’t know of any technical reasons it can't be done. Clubs have paid out contracts in the past. There are probably cultural reasons why you wouldn't want to do it very often, and it would be embarrassing for the club's list management team.

But if you were able to come to happy terms with the players involved, that can be worked through. Neither of Strachan or Burgess should get AFL games next year, and then they are done.

Getting paid by the Crows and a SANFL club might be what they want. Maybe a 4 year crows SANFL contract.

We should at least be exploring the opportunities.
I don't know why anyone assumes it hasn't occured to the club.

I just think there are structural elements put in place that stop clubs from cutting players early.

You barely ever see it. It's very rare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Back