Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My money would be on us taking Sid Draper if he's still on the board at our pick....unlike others I'm not so sure he will be still on the board at that pont. No way are Ashcroft or Smith better prospects than Sid IMO.

Watched a few games over the weekend. A few interesting prospects at it first pick.

Draper has a lot of speed and midfield nous. Fairly tough for his size. Works hard. Still not sure on his hurt factor though, but those who have watched him a lot say he's got good disposal and IQ.

The two mentioned here lately in Lalor and Lindsay I like. Lindsay has a beautiful left foot, decent pace and looks pretty good in the contest as well.

We've always been clear that we respect the integrity of the draft and have bid where we thought players were next in our talent order. True to form we are the "nice" club.
Go watch Ogilvy’s interview after the Thilthorpe draft. Openly and casually admits bidding on JUH when TT was their no. 1 in order to bring later picks in earlier.

My money would be on us taking Sid Draper if he's still on the board at our pick....unlike others I'm not so sure he will be still on the board at that pont. No way are Ashcroft or Smith better prospects than Sid IMO.

If he keeps putting in performances like he has in his last two games, then I agree. But if the club rates him highly enough, I'm confident they'll get him – even if it means trading up.

If he keeps putting in performances like he has in his last two games, then I agree. But if the club rates him highly enough, I'm confident they'll get him – even if it means trading up.
Wishful thinking, high end picks rarely get traded unless it's for a top end proven player and currently other than this year's first and next year's first not much else would interest other clubs. West Coast might bite if Curtin was on the table but even that would be doubtful now given he hasn't actually lit the joint up.

Wishful thinking, high end picks rarely get traded unless it's for a top end proven player and currently other than this year's first and next year's first not much else would interest other clubs. West Coast might bite if Curtin was on the table but even that would be doubtful now given he hasn't actually lit the joint up.

Clubs trade up quite often? GWS did it in 2019, and the Demons and Dogs each did it last year. I'm not saying it might not cost us a future first or second, I'm saying that if the club wants Draper badly enough, they might explore their options to ensure they get him.

If we end up with pick 3 I think Draper would be at short odds to be taken there (if not before) as it stands. If the Saints lose Battle for Band 1 compo and the Crows end up with pick 6 and are very keen on Draper it would be interesting to see what deal (if any) is offered for a 3 pick slide.

The questions are:
a) would Crows even look at putting Curtin on the table as part of that slide?

b) what can WCE give back to balance the trade?

Clubs trade up quite often? GWS did it in 2019, and the Demons and Dogs each did it last year. I'm not saying it might not cost us a future first or second, I'm saying that if the club wants Draper badly enough, they might explore their options to ensure they get him.
Obviously I don't share your confidence especially with West Coast reported to have interest.

If we end up with pick 3 I think Draper would be at short odds to be taken there (if not before) as it stands. If the Saints lose Battle for Band 1 compo and the Crows end up with pick 6 and are very keen on Draper it would be interesting to see what deal (if any) is offered for a 3 pick slide.

The questions are:
a) would Crows even look at putting Curtin on the table as part of that slide?

b) what can WCE give back to balance the trade?
I just don't see it happening with the talent in the top 5 or 6 looking pretty even, even the top 10. Too many choices this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to finish below St Kilda to avoid that possible double whammy of them possibly getting band 1 for Battle as they will take 2 mids you could put your house on it so we will be taking the 6th best mid in the pool.

Personally I think Draper would be ideal for us for a number of reasons but if WCE have their eye on him, its over for us as they would want too much to trade up..unless we are at say pick 4 in which case it might work for them to swap picks and we give up our F1 for their F2...if we were really invested in getting Draper if he is there at the WCE pick

I'm of a similar mind. Still 5 games to go in the SANFL season, and if Draper keeps pulling out numbers like the below.....

9 Clearances, 10 tackles...

1721024259735.png

Just a comment, re GC looking to trade out, don't discount them trading in a quality player with those picks. They might be trying to tap up a particular player under contract at another club and need to pay up to get them. But with picks like that, they could aim high IF they were to look at going down that path

Did you say Daniel Rioli?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm of a similar mind. Still 5 games to go in the SANFL season, and if Draper keeps pulling out numbers like the below.....

9 Clearances, 10 tackles...

View attachment 2049133

He is really starting to light up. Still think he will be available at our pick - and wouldn’t trade up for him. Too expensive and there will be plenty of choice. Still seems a little handball happy for mine. But that could change ove r the next few weeks given the way he has started playing at Sanfl level

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need to finish below St Kilda to avoid that possible double whammy of them possibly getting band 1 for Battle as they will take 2 mids you could put your house on it so we will be taking the 6th best mid in the pool.

Personally I think Draper would be ideal for us for a number of reasons but if WCE have their eye on him, its over for us as they would want too much to trade up..unless we are at say pick 4 in which case it might work for them to swap picks and we give up our F1 for their F2...if we were really invested in getting Draper if he is there at the WCE pick

Very unlikely to happen, I think the bottom 5 is pretty much set. We're 3 wins off jumping anyone above us, and West Coast are 4 wins from jumping anyone. Saints have a pretty tough road ahead so I really don't see them shifting anywhere on the ladder.

Crows
Saints
West Coast
North
Richmond

Very unlikely to happen, I think the bottom 5 is pretty much set. We're 3 wins off jumping anyone above us, and West Coast are 4 wins from jumping anyone. Saints have a pretty tough road ahead so I really don't see them shifting anywhere on the ladder.

Crows
Saints
West Coast
North
Richmond

Their remaining games:

West Coast (Marvel)
Essendon (Marvel)
Brisbane (Marvel)
Richmond (Marvel)
Geelong (Marvel)
Carlton (TBC)

Ours:

Essendon (Marvel)
Hawthorn (AO)
Geelong (GMHBA)
Dogs (AO)
Port (AO)
Sydney (SCG)

If we're lucky, the Saints win three games. Maaaybe 4. Not sure about us, we'd probably only start favourites against Hawthorn, if that. It might come down to the result of this week's game.

Crows
Saints
West Coast
North
Richmond
St Kilda play their last 6 games at Marvel I think, or maybe 5 of their last 6 and they have WCE and Richmond. I hope they win those and a few others as we have Sydney away - loss. Geelong away - loss, Essendon away - 50/50 at best, Hawthorn here - 50/50 at best, Port - showdown 50/50 despite recent history and the bulldogs - 50/50 at best. SO I could see St Kilda finish above us if they don't tank from here

Their remaining games:

West Coast (Marvel)
Essendon (Marvel)
Brisbane (Marvel)
Richmond (Marvel)
Geelong (Marvel)
Carlton (TBC)

Ours:

Essendon (Marvel)
Hawthorn (AO)
Geelong (GMHBA)
Dogs (AO)
Port (AO)
Sydney (SCG)

If we're lucky, the Saints win three games. Not sure about us, we'd probably only start favourites against Hawthorn, if that. It might come down to the result of this week's game.
Ahh - you beat me to it!! :cool:

Ahh - you beat me to it!! :cool:

Do Saints have a distinct advantage playing in Melb against....Vic teams?

Their remaining games:

West Coast (Marvel)
Essendon (Marvel)
Brisbane (Marvel)
Richmond (Marvel)
Geelong (Marvel)
Carlton (TBC)

Ours:

Essendon (Marvel)
Hawthorn (AO)
Geelong (GMHBA)
Dogs (AO)
Port (AO)
Sydney (SCG)

If we're lucky, the Saints win three games. Maaaybe 4. Not sure about us, we'd probably only start favourites against Hawthorn, if that. It might come down to the result of this week's game.

Let's bookmark this one Sizzlepack!

I think not having Rankine certainly muddies the water a but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Geelong and Sydney are our only almost guaranteed losses. With TT back in the side, a settled backline, and a midfield that'd performed pretty well against Saints, we could jag a few wins, much to the dismay of a few posters on here...

Saints have 3 guaranteed losses in Brisbane, Geelong and Carlton...coming off a loss against us I don't even think they're a guarantee against West Coast, coming off a dead cat bounce with a new coach (came close to beating Brisbane on the weekend)

I for one want to see us remain competitive for the rest of the season, regardless of whether that 'costs' us Draper or not.

Their remaining games:

West Coast (Marvel)
Essendon (Marvel)
Brisbane (Marvel)
Richmond (Marvel)
Geelong (Marvel)
Carlton (TBC)

Ours:

Essendon (Marvel)
Hawthorn (AO)
Geelong (GMHBA)
Dogs (AO)
Port (AO)
Sydney (SCG)

Saints are only winning 2 of those. We could beat Hawks, Dogs and Port or we could lose all 3.

Clubs set to demand answers from AFL over draft at CEO summit in Perth​

Clubs are set to demand the AFL give them clarification around father-son and academy bids this week in Perth, but JON RALPH reports clubs will come in with their own agendas.

AFL clubs will demand answers from the league on its contentious changes to the draft bidding system as they gather in Perth for a three-day chief executives meeting this week.
The clubs have been summoned by AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon after a successful meeting last year in Werribee that helped shape the competition’s direction.
Clubs have been sparring with each other and the AFL over the academy system, travel inequities, the potential for three Grand Finals, and overall competitive balance.
The league is also reviewing the season structure so is open to adding a 24th game to the season, more blockbusters in Perth around the WA Day public holiday and tweaks to the new-look Opening Round.

Sydney chief executive Tom Harley said on Saturday the No. 1 priority for clubs is to gain clarity on whether the league’s certain changes to the draft will come in this year or in 2025.
The AFL has no July AFL commission meeting so any changes would only be put forward to the league’s governing body in August.

It means clubs might have less than two months to frantically plan to match points totals for father-son and academy picks or even trade out contracted players to secure those points.
Heartland clubs have been scaremongering over the depth of talent in Gold Coast’s academy on a weekend when their academy star Leo Lombard, a likely top 10 pick, was jointly named the Larke Medallist as the Under-18 championship’s best player.

Harley said on Saturday the clubs backed the AFL’s depth of talent under Dillon but wanted answers on the bidding system.
“The most important part from a timeliness is around the competitive balance and what the end of the season looks like with the drafting and the rules attached to that,” he said.

So there has been a long and wide consultative process starting early in the year so the resolution of that would be the prime consideration we are looking at.
“The first time ‘Dills’ facilitated a CEO’s conference in Werribee this time last year it was fantastic.
“I am really looking forward to heading over to Perth to have those conversations.
“Collectively we have enough clout and experience and enough collaborative thought leaders to make sure the game is in great stead,” he told SEN.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back